How much do missionaries make?

How much do missionaries make?

Postby spyfire27 » 07 Jun 2012, 05:57

I met a Korean Christian missionary recently and I have became interested in their situation. She really seems to be pinching every penny, collecting every receipts as lottery tickets, and has a lot of other habits that make me guess that she has a rough time. She told me she gets some contribution for her housing, so she does not pay much for that. She does not subscribe to National Health Insurance, and the reason she told me is that "God protects me everyday," but the truth is that it costs around 1000$ every month for an ARC holder to subscribe.
spyfire27
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: How much do missionaries make?

Postby tomthorne » 07 Jun 2012, 09:18

It depends upon their position.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 07 Jun 2012, 09:35

tomthorne wrote:It depends upon their position.

nice :)
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby grandfeller » 07 Jun 2012, 09:49

I'm sure it depends on the organization and the nature of the job, or calling, as many missionaries would describe it.

The Mormon missionaries you see riding around on bicycles generally pay their own way. From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionary_(LDS_Church)
Mormon missionaries serve voluntarily, not receiving any salary from the church for their work, typically supporting themselves financially or through assistance from family. Many young Mormons save money during their teenage years to afford missionary expenses.
grandfeller
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

12 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby formosaobama » 07 Jun 2012, 11:34

StuartCa wrote:

nice :)

I just got that. :bravo:
Forumosan avatar
formosaobama
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

5 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby thirdstring » 11 Jun 2012, 02:01

Yeah, it's going to be hard to put a specific number to it. Our pastor's family here is fully supported financially by people back in the US, and though they live comfortably, they're not eating at Western restaurants that often. On the other hand, another missionary family of 3 came over, and the husband will be working to pay most of the bills. I think he is getting about NT$30,000 or so from the States a month.
thirdstring
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

25 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Ex Animo » 11 Jun 2012, 08:50

As one is prone.
sean@thesanctuarytaiwan.org / 0920 620109

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby Zla'od » 21 Jun 2012, 10:48

Well, the Mormons pay their own way (perhaps with a little help from their relatives). At the other extreme, the Taipei International Church provides its ministers (who are invariably imported from the USA) with housing, a very generous salary, and membership in the American Club.
Narrated Umar ibn al-Khattab
Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) forbade withdrawing the penis from a free woman unless she gives permission. Ibn Majah transmitted it. (Tirmidhi Hadith, Number 950)
Zla'od
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

68 Recognized(s)

Postby SRS » 24 Jul 2012, 21:37

My wife and I are missionaries here in Taiwan. We are given a modest apartment to live in which means kitchen, bedroom and bath. They set us up with the necessary items needed such as fridge, stove, washer, dryer and AC. We live with two other missionaries and thus our organization gives us a certain amount to pay for monthly expenses such as utilities, food, and other miscellaneous. We are given a small stipend for personal expenses (about 3000 NT$ per person) Anything else comes from any personal savings you have or somone who may giving you some support. I might add that the government is very strict as far as a missionary doing any other type of work here to support yourself as you are on a missionary visa. We need to file a tax return on our income although we do not have to pay taxes.
SRS

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Religion & Spirituality