Sharia law ... a proper governmental system?

Sharia law ... a proper governmental system?

Postby Belgian Pie » 30 Jan 2007, 09:40

That's a good one ... never thought about it that way ... sharia law, a good governmental system ...

It's not only about chopping off hands and legs, stoning people to dead ... but that's the part that's a little over the top and I can't see it as a 'proper' governmental system.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 30 Jan 2007, 09:54

Anytime religion mixes with politics, the result is diminished freedom.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

96 Recommends(s)
218 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 30 Jan 2007, 10:26

...and a diminished religion.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby SuchAFob » 30 Jan 2007, 11:23

Chris wrote:Anytime religion mixes with politics, the result is diminished freedom.

Could you please go explain this to my government?
Needs a teleportation device.
SuchAFob
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

Location: Where they say "y'all", vote red, and think it's insulting to call me a liberal.
1 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 30 Jan 2007, 11:27

proper for the middle ages. great unless you are a woman or some other minority. black and white view of the world that entrenches feudalism and restricts moral choice to the imam's interpretation of a supposedly divine handbook. and have you everr read any of the prohibitions in the koran? man, that thing is evil.

religion is the domain of your brain and your beliefs, not mine. please don't let your poisoned thoughts restrict my freedom to think what I want.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

226 Recommends(s)
279 Recognized(s)

Postby Screaming Jesus » 30 Jan 2007, 18:06

That's because you are a hellbound fool with no respect for the theocratic traditions that make our people great.
Screaming Jesus

2 Recognized(s)

Postby redandy » 30 Jan 2007, 22:57

Define what you mean by "mixing" please. I ask because sometimes it seems that some of the more brilliant political movements --- abolitionists, civil rights,tax benefits for individual and corporate charity, to name a few, were at least in part motivated by religious beliefs.
redandy
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Tyc00n » 30 Jan 2007, 23:35

Screaming Jesus wrote:That's because you are a hellbound fool with no respect for the theocratic traditions that make our people great.

When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said "Let us pray." We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land.
Forumosan avatar
Tyc00n
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 30 Jan 2007, 23:57

redandy wrote:Define what you mean by "mixing" please. I ask because sometimes it seems that some of the more brilliant political movements --- abolitionists, civil rights,tax benefits for individual and corporate charity, to name a few, were at least in part motivated by religious beliefs.

Absolutely; religion does much political good. The problem comes when it's not religious motivation or moral inspiration, but over zealous religious enthusiasm that's doing the political work.

Mixing corrupts both politics and religion. Obama gave a great speech on this not so long ago:

Obama speech to Sojourners wrote:For one, they need to understand the critical role that the separation of church and state has played in preserving not only our democracy, but the robustness of our religious practice. That during our founding, it was not the atheists or the civil libertarians who were the most effective champions of this separation; it was the persecuted religious minorities, Baptists like John Leland, who were most concerned that any state-sponsored religion might hinder their ability to practice their faith.
[...]
This brings me to my second point. Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal, rather than religion-specific, values. It requires that their proposals be subject to argument, and amenable to reason. I may be opposed to abortion for religious reasons, but if I seek to pass a law banning the practice, I cannot simply point to the teachings of my church or evoke God's will. I have to explain why abortion violates some principle that is accessible to people of all faiths, including those with no faith at all.

This may be difficult for those who believe in the inerrancy of the Bible, as many evangelicals do. But in a pluralistic democracy, we have no choice. Politics depends on our ability to persuade each other of common aims based on a common reality. It involves the compromise, the art of the possible. At some fundamental level, religion does not allow for compromise. It insists on the impossible. If God has spoken, then followers are expected to live up to God's edicts, regardless of the consequences. To base one's life on such uncompromising commitments may be sublime; to base our policy making on such commitments would be a dangerous thing.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Gao Bohan » 07 Feb 2007, 10:44

and have you everr read any of the prohibitions in the koran? man, that thing is evil.

Yes it is. And before you say anything Jaboney, the Old Testament/Jewish Bible is too.
Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

169 Recommends(s)
310 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Religion & Spirituality