Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

"God's Direct Contact," the "Supreme Master" Ching Hai

Re: "God's Direct Contact," the "Supreme Master" Ching Hai

Postby headhonchoII » 12 Aug 2010, 11:08

Yep I have a lot of respect for Tzu Chi as far as charity work goes, their hospitals are world class, go to the one in Xindian, it's like a five star hotel and they always have tonnes of volunteers available if you need any help.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1653 Recommends(s)
603 Recognized(s)

Postby mariadevalencia » 20 Aug 2010, 21:05

She teaches a simple meditation technique that works well to calm you mind and to improve your life.

She is a great money maker

She shares her money with poor and needy

I learnt her meditation techniche and I had never give her or to the organization not a penny,
I have eaten in her restaurants as I am a vegan and the food is delicious
and is also delicious the food she makes with the "Loving Hut" brand name

I do not find anything wrong about a great bussiness woman who helps so many people
mariadevalencia
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Chris » 20 Aug 2010, 22:15

The "Supreme Mistress" is a scamster and a cult leader.

Any bozo can teach meditation techniques that calm your mind. And if you paid to eat at her restaurants or buy her "Loving Hut" products, then you have given her organization money.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 21 Aug 2010, 00:54

Chris wrote:The "Supreme Mistress" is a scamster and a cult leader.

Any bozo can teach meditation techniques that calm your mind. And if you paid to eat at her restaurants or buy her "Loving Hut" products, then you have given her organization money.

Clearly a cult leader. Thats hardly worth stating. Scamster is quite a bit less clear. Her lifestyle doesn't appear to be very aesthetic, and a Googling turns up some more specific issues. On the other hand, some good appears to be done. (If you ate at their restaurants you have not "given" the organisation money, you have paid for goods and services recieved)

I was invited to one of their environmental "Go Green, Be Vegan, Save the Planet" conferences a couple of years ago, asked a question, and subsequently have appeared on their TV Channel a couple of times.

People who know me were, I think, rather surprised and disappointed that my question was not hostile or embarrasing, but I was a guest, it wouldn't have been shown, and I'd decided that the end justified the means.

While I have little time for religion or cults of personality, their environmental message and consciousness-raising activities (on issues I think important) are positive and relatively effective in Taiwan. This is not a very rational country, and scientists or politicians "selling" an environmental message have a hard time finding an audience. There were quite a few local and national politicians at that conference, who must see some value in it, if only for themselves.

In the 70's I once argued to a televised theatre full of enraged lefties that the ongoing carpet bombing in SE Asia (look up War in Indo-China) was a good thing because it would buy some time for the tropical rain forest (it did but its gone now). If B52's and landmines are my buddies a blonde buddhist should bother me not one bit.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

9 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 21 Aug 2010, 02:04

headhonchoII wrote:Yep I have a lot of respect for Tzu Chi as far as charity work goes, their hospitals are world class, go to the one in Xindian, it's like a five star hotel and they always have tonnes of volunteers available if you need any help.

Tzu Chi is one of the reasons Taiwan is the most progressive society in Asia. The type of Buddhism Master Chenyan advocates is called Renjian Fojiao, this worldly Buddhism, and is all about bringing the Dharma to daily life: in other words, taking the Buddha's teachings of compassion for all humanity and applying them to the real world.

Chengyan's story is fascinating. She came from an very wealthy Taichung family but ran away from home at 24 and wandered Taiwan with another nun, living in caves and studying Buddhism as a lay nun until Yinshun, the master from Foguangshan took her in as his last student.

Will write more when I have time. Great great story. She basically is the Buddhist counterpart of people like Wang Yung-ching.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

782 Recognized(s)

Postby Redmenace » 21 Aug 2010, 08:43

A Taiwanese co-teacher told me that a Tzu Chi volunteer must donate a million NT for the privilege of wearing one of their snazzy blue uniforms. I completely respect their organization, but this seemed pretty strange to me.

As for the Loving Hut, I eat their often. It's $80 NT for a delicious and healthy meal. I think they do it to promote vegetarianism, they can't make too much of a profit. I get a kick out of the nonsense playing on their TV channel, it's propaganda, but at least it's positive.
Redmenace
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby jimipresley » 21 Aug 2010, 08:49

Redmenace wrote: it's propaganda, but at least it's positive.

Electrical wall sockets have positive inputs. Doesn't mean you need to stick your finger in them.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

998 Recommends(s)
378 Recognized(s)

Postby Gilgamesh » 30 Aug 2010, 07:49

I've eaten at the Loving Hut three times now and each times I thought it was terrible food. I kept going back hoping some other dish would be better but it never was.
Gilgamesh
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 30 Aug 2010, 09:13

Chris wrote:
chinghai bullshit wrote:Yes, she will suck you in. Then take your money.
Please visit http://www.cultwatch.com

Hmmm... Cultwatch happens to be run by religionists. Christians, to be exact. I find this quite ironic: "Don't believe in those religions... they're false. Ours, however, happens to be true!"

Physician, heal thyself!

At that conference I mention above they put me next to an Irish priest (can't remember, or didn't know, the denomination). Bit of ice-breaking conversation about relative merits of Scotch and Irish whisky and we were getting along fine. Then a rather left-field question about UFO's/aliens (which are apparently taken seriously, maybe even a part of the belief system) got him spluttering with indignation.

I said "Well, is it any dafter than any other religious belief involving supreme beings? Christianity, for example?"

He wasn't so friendly after that.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked

9 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Postby saddletramp » 30 Aug 2010, 11:20

Mods, can we split out the Tzu Chi parts, hate to see a good organization lumped in with a questionable one. ???
Forumosan avatar
saddletramp

113 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Religion & Spirituality