"God's Direct Contact," the "Supreme Master" Ching Hai

Re: "God's Direct Contact," the "Supreme Master" Ching Hai

Postby saddletramp » 30 Aug 2010, 11:23

Muzha Man wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:Yep I have a lot of respect for Tzu Chi as far as charity work goes, their hospitals are world class, go to the one in Xindian, it's like a five star hotel and they always have tonnes of volunteers available if you need any help.


Tzu Chi is one of the reasons Taiwan is the most progressive society in Asia. The type of Buddhism Master Chenyan advocates is called Renjian Fojiao, this worldly Buddhism, and is all about bringing the Dharma to daily life: in other words, taking the Buddha's teachings of compassion for all humanity and applying them to the real world.

Chengyan's story is fascinating. She came from an very wealthy Taichung family but ran away from home at 24 and wandered Taiwan with another nun, living in caves and studying Buddhism as a lay nun until Yinshun, the master from Foguangshan took her in as his last student.

Will write more when I have time. Great great story. She basically is the Buddhist counterpart of people like Wang Yung-ching.


Would love to hear more about her story. As i posted, she impressed me when my friend needed help!!!
Forumosan avatar
saddletramp
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
 
Posts: 494
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 18:42
Location: Sunny Taidong
113 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: "God's Direct Contact," the "Supreme Master" Ching Hai

Postby lilylight » 06 Apr 2011, 21:51

lilylight
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 03 Apr 2011, 03:28

6000

Re: "God's Direct Contact," the "Supreme Master" Ching Hai

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 06 Apr 2011, 22:20

I cannot over-emphasize the hours of entertainment the Supreme Master has brought me. Especially when she communicates with those aliens or whatever they are. Puts a smile on my face every time I think about it.
NonTocareLeTete
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
 
Posts: 850
Joined: 02 Feb 2010, 11:55
85 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: "God's Direct Contact," the "Supreme Master" Ching Hai

Postby lilylight » 20 Jun 2011, 17:43

Supremeleak:
The wikileaks for Ching Hai. All the web info on this dangerous cult.
http://supremeleak.pbworks.com/w/page/3 ... /FrontPage
lilylight
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 03 Apr 2011, 03:28

6000

Re: "God's Direct Contact," the "Supreme Master" Ching Hai

Postby yuli » 20 Jun 2011, 22:02

lilylight wrote:Supremeleak:
The wikileaks for Ching Hai. All the web info on this dangerous cult.
http://supremeleak.pbworks.com/w/page/3 ... /FrontPage

How dangerous? And dangerous to whom?
Here is a quite balanced critique that reads quite similar to one I read about a year ago in another context (it is linked from the page mentioned above):
http://supremeleak.pbworks.com/2011-06- ... x+NY+Times
Comparing this religion (cult) with all the other religions (cults) I have come into contact with, there is not much that strikes me as unusually unbelievable or unusally dangerous about the beliefs peddled by Ms. Ching Hai and her followers. Or to be more precise, most of the religions (cults) I've learned about, including that of Ms. Ching Hai, seem less dangerous than the tenaciously anti-women and anti-science type religions (cults) in the lands of sand and oil and the land of unlimited impossibilites, which all try to squeeze everything there is into a simplistic frame derived from some old book. IOW, things could be much worse... :wink:
 
Internet Support for Expats:
http://www.taiwan-okinawa.info/flis/
Our Fight for Democracy in Japan:
http://www.kenpou-gakushuukai.pw/english.shtml
yuli
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
 
Posts: 2977
Joined: 27 Jul 2009, 06:52
Location: abt. 24.4N 124.2E
270 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: "God's Direct Contact," the "Supreme Master" Ching Hai

Postby Leonne » 25 Oct 2011, 19:20

yuli wrote:How dangerous? And dangerous to whom?
Here is a quite balanced critique that reads quite similar to one I read about a year ago in another context (it is linked from the page mentioned above):
http://supremeleak.pbworks.com/2011-06- ... x+NY+Times
Comparing this religion (cult) with all the other religions (cults) I have come into contact with, there is not much that strikes me as unusually unbelievable or unusally dangerous about the beliefs peddled by Ms. Ching Hai and her followers. Or to be more precise, most of the religions (cults) I've learned about, including that of Ms. Ching Hai, seem less dangerous than the tenaciously anti-women and anti-science type religions (cults) in the lands of sand and oil and the land of unlimited impossibilites, which all try to squeeze everything there is into a simplistic frame derived from some old book. IOW, things could be much worse... :wink:


If you knew some disciples of this cult, you would know why it is dangerous. It's not deadly dangerous like the The People's Temple, since nothing can tell if it will end with a mass murder or mass suicide (less probable). But mass murders/suicides is not an essential characteristic of "destructive" cults. According to cult specialists, there are criterias to define a destructive cult. They may vary a little bit from one to another, but are usually similar. For exemple (taken here) :

    Charismatic leadership
    Deception in recruiting
    Use of thought-reform methods
    Isolation (physical and/or psychological)
    Demand for absolute, unquestioning devotion and loyalty
    Sharp, unsurpassable distinction between "us" (good, saved) and "them" (bad, going to Hell)
    "Inside language" that only members fully understand
    Strict control over members' daily routines

Make a quick research about Ching Hai, and you'll see that Ching Hai International Association fill all these criterias.
Leonne
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 23 Oct 2011, 21:06

6000

Re: "God's Direct Contact," the "Supreme Master" Ching Hai

Postby Chris » 25 Oct 2011, 19:31

Leonne wrote:
    Charismatic leadership
    Deception in recruiting
    Use of thought-reform methods
    Isolation (physical and/or psychological)
    Demand for absolute, unquestioning devotion and loyalty
    Sharp, unsurpassable distinction between "us" (good, saved) and "them" (bad, going to Hell)
    "Inside language" that only members fully understand
    Strict control over members' daily routines


Sounds like a lot of mainstream religions... just sayin'...
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 14693
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 15:51
Location: Type-A, Tie-one-on
78 Recommends(s)
168 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: "God's Direct Contact," the "Supreme Master" Ching Hai

Postby Leonne » 25 Oct 2011, 20:21

Chris wrote:
Leonne wrote:
    Charismatic leadership
    Deception in recruiting
    Use of thought-reform methods
    Isolation (physical and/or psychological)
    Demand for absolute, unquestioning devotion and loyalty
    Sharp, unsurpassable distinction between "us" (good, saved) and "them" (bad, going to Hell)
    "Inside language" that only members fully understand
    Strict control over members' daily routines


Sounds like a lot of mainstream religions... just sayin'...


Really? Which one?

Some religions may have some of these characteristics, of course, but just a few, and not so strictly. By the way, it concerns not only religions but also some extremist politics movements, or some kind of marketing.

For exemple, I don't think that common catholic churchs try to isolate their people from their families. I don't think they try to strictly control their daily routine, neither demand absoluten, unquestioning devotion and loyalty. It they do, of course they should be questionned.

Anyway, the fact Ching Hai is not the only cult doesn't mean she deserve indulgence for what she does to her disciples.
Leonne
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 23 Oct 2011, 21:06

6000

Re: "God's Direct Contact," the "Supreme Master" Ching Hai

Postby yuli » 26 Oct 2011, 06:26

Leonne wrote:
Chris wrote:Sounds like a lot of mainstream religions... just sayin'...


Really? Which one?

For example: the catholic church in European countries until as recently as a few decades ago (the timing and extent of the control varies from country to country - check "Ireland" for the most obvious problems in the recent past)

For exemple, I don't think that common catholic churchs try to isolate their people from their families. I don't think they try to strictly control their daily routine, neither demand absoluten, unquestioning devotion and loyalty. It they do, of course they should be questionned.

I'd suggest you need to study a bit more history... :D And while you are at it, look at Wahabi Islam in Saudi Arabia or Shia Islam in rural Iran.

And anyway, if you reread my comment you will see that I started with "How dangerous? And dangerous to whom?" and went on to suggest that when put into the context of other many other religions, "there is not much that strikes me as unusually unbelievable or unusally dangerous about the beliefs peddled by Ms. Ching Hai and her followers". In other words, i didn't really disagree with you as much as I was suggesting that i consider criticism or attacks on that particular religious group of Ms. Ching Hai misguided, since out of proportion, in view of the damage and pain other religions (notably the Judaism- Christianity- Islam triad) have inflicted. :)
 
Internet Support for Expats:
http://www.taiwan-okinawa.info/flis/
Our Fight for Democracy in Japan:
http://www.kenpou-gakushuukai.pw/english.shtml
yuli
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
 
Posts: 2977
Joined: 27 Jul 2009, 06:52
Location: abt. 24.4N 124.2E
270 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: "God's Direct Contact," the "Supreme Master" Ching Hai

Postby Leonne » 26 Oct 2011, 07:22

yuli wrote:
Leonne wrote:
Chris wrote:Sounds like a lot of mainstream religions... just sayin'...


Really? Which one?

For example: the catholic church in European countries until as recently as a few decades ago (the timing and extent of the control varies from country to country - check "Ireland" for the most obvious problems in the recent past)

Please help me with something to read about that, cos I'm not familiar to the particular problem you mention. It should be quick for you as you seem to know what you are talking about.

Are we talking about mainstream or particular movements in the mainstream? Because there are extremism everywhere, in every domain. :eh:

yuli wrote:
For exemple, I don't think that common catholic churchs try to isolate their people from their families. I don't think they try to strictly control their daily routine, neither demand absoluten, unquestioning devotion and loyalty. It they do, of course they should be questionned.

I'd suggest you need to study a bit more history... :D And while you are at it, look at Wahabi Islam in Saudi Arabia or Shia Islam in rural Iran.

And anyway, if you reread my comment you will see that I started with "How dangerous? And dangerous to whom?" and went on to suggest that when put into the context of other many other religions, "there is not much that strikes me as unusually unbelievable or unusally dangerous about the beliefs peddled by Ms. Ching Hai and her followers". In other words, i didn't really disagree with you as much as I was suggesting that i consider criticism or attacks on that particular religious group of Ms. Ching Hai misguided, since out of proportion, in view of the damage and pain other religions (notably the Judaism- Christianity- Islam triad) have inflicted. :)


Here I was giving the exemple of catholic churchs not trying to isolate their believers from their families, etc. The exemples you give are about particular islamic movements. I'm not sure I understand your point.

The mainstream religions whom you say they cause more damage than Ching Hai cult, they can be preached and practiced at many different degrees of committment, so there's no point in saying they are dangerous just because a few extremist movements in these religions are harmful (better consider these extremist movements independently, and maybe classify them as cults if they match the criterias). For the most, mainstream religions usually don't affect peoples daylife as much as cults can affect. Disciples of cults are 100% dedicated to their cult. Their enrollment ans degree of committment is not the result of the weight of archaic traditions, but the result of a conscious strategy of mind control, of which the goal is simply to exploit the disciples as efficiently as possible and get as much power on them as possible. That's 2 different problems, I think.

I think that in the previous post I have implicitly answered your questions. How dangerous? >>> look the criterias, these are exemples of the dangers of cults on people. And dangerous for whom? For the disciples of course, and the people who are vulnerable, and who can possibly fall into the deceptive speech of a cult like Ching Hai Association.

After that, I agree, there are other things more dangerous than Ching Hai, or cults in general. For exemple a virus, an earthquake, cancer, etc... :D
But this topic was about Ching Hai, that's why I didn't mention the other dangerous stufs which can affect people.
Leonne
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 23 Oct 2011, 21:06

6000

PreviousNext




 
 
 x

Return to Religion & Spirituality



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 visitor

Contemplation often makes life miserable. We should act more, think less, and stop watching ourselves live -- NICOLAS DE CHAMFORT