Bible question: Did Adam & Eve's kids commit incest?

Re: Bible question: Did Adam & Eve's kids commit incest?

Postby Mother Theresa » 03 Sep 2010, 13:50

Ha, you and almas john both.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Jack » 21 Sep 2010, 16:21

Mother Theresa wrote:I just asked a colleague, who went through years of Catholic school, how there got to be a few billion people on earth if God created just Adam and Eve. Did their children have sex with each other? And their grandchildren? And. . . wait a minute, how did they have grandchildren, didn't Adam and Eve just have two children -- Cain and Abel -- both boys, and one killed the other?

So how was the next generation formed? Cain and/or Abel must've had sex with Eve, right? Is that really so good and proper? What kind of a religious fable is that -- the world was created by a bunch of incestuous murderers? Hardly seems worthy of veneration in my mind.

Young Joan [Joni Mitchell] was a natural sceptic [at age nine]. Her forensic questioning of bible stories - "Adam and Eve meet, they're the first man and woman, they have two sons: Cain and Abel. Cain killed Abel, then got married. So who did he marry?" - didn't go down well at Sunday school, so she'd been skipping church.

http://web.me.com/jamesirvin/www.jimirv ... eyond.html

When I read that, I don't know, a couple of years back, I remember thinking, "Wow, she was kind of precocious, at least compared to me. I didn't get around to asking the preacher about that till I was around fourteen." Of course, I'd probably thought about it before age fourteen. But she'd probably thought about it before age nine. In any case, I'm kind of ashamed of myself for waiting until I was fourteen before broaching the subject.
Charlie Jack
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

1216 Recommends(s)
215 Recognized(s)

Postby the chief » 21 Sep 2010, 16:42

Mother Theresa wrote:I just asked a colleague, who went through years of Catholic school, how there got to be a few billion people on earth if God created just Adam and Eve. Did their children have sex with each other? And their grandchildren? And. . . wait a minute, how did they have grandchildren, didn't Adam and Eve just have two children -- Cain and Abel -- both boys, and one killed the other?

They had tons of kids, FWIW, nowhere does it say they only had those two sons.
As for the title question, yes, technically, their kids committed incest.
If you were wondering about why they didn't spawn a race of halfwit dwarf clubfoots, the simple answer is that the gene pool was pretty pristine, so the likelihood of problems occurring was much less likely.
The other answer, obviously, is, from whence did you think the original population of Tu Cheng sprang?

If one is compelled to make some sort of peurile moralistic point, well, you know, if dolphins are so fuckin smart, howcome they don't drive to work??

And I believe my feelings regarding Joni Mitchell are a well-known and often quoted mainstay of Flobbistanian lore...
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
Forumosan avatar
the chief
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Jack » 21 Sep 2010, 16:51

the chief wrote:And I believe my feelings regarding Joni Mitchell are a well-known and often quoted mainstay of Flobbistanian lore...
I'll have to Flooble that (my new term for doing a search on Forumosa).

Ah, here it is:

the chief wrote:Joni Mitchell.
F*** I hate her.

I like her early stuff. No accounting for taste.
Charlie Jack

1216 Recommends(s)
215 Recognized(s)

Postby the chief » 21 Sep 2010, 17:00

Charlie Jack wrote:
I like her early stuff. No accounting for taste.

Hey, brother, if we've learned anything from the pederasts the atheists, it's that everyone is entitled to their own personal viewpoints and opinions.

You know, unless you're religious, then you're a fuckin Gumby doll...
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
Forumosan avatar
the chief

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Jack » 21 Sep 2010, 18:12

That was an amazing thread, chief, that other thread. It about halfway blew my mind. It's like, I learned more than I wanted to.
Charlie Jack

1216 Recommends(s)
215 Recognized(s)

Postby Jack Burton » 21 Sep 2010, 19:15

the chief wrote:If you were wondering about why they didn't spawn a race of halfwit dwarf clubfoots, the simple answer is that the gene pool was pretty pristine, so the likelihood of problems occurring was much less likely.

you mean genetic variation? recessive genes? what the heck is "pristine" in this context?
Jack Burton: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
Lo Pan: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!
Forumosan avatar
Jack Burton

4 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 21 Sep 2010, 19:18

My take on the ark thing and why didn't the fish have to go on the boat is this: A) how do we know they didn't bring fish on the boat? Do you really think that the list is exhaustive? It does say two of every kind of animal. It's possible that a world wide flood would kill all the fish because there was no land above sea level--sea level was as tall as the tallest mountain. There are fishes that can only live at certain depths and well, those depths would be, suddenly, a lot higher, or deeper depending on how you look at it.

Or B) (and I like this one better) man was created above the animals. God was much more concerned wtih the behaviors of the humans than the animals and he valued the humans more. It was worth the animal lives to Him to get rid of the human stench. And come on, don't tell me you don't have days when you think you could justify killing off everyone and anyone outside your family! At least, if you've ever had a period you should be able to understand. So, it was for practical reasons that God allowed for the animals on the ark. The animals had their place in the world, and god didn't want to be rid of them, or to start over on some new ones, so he provided a way to keep a few around. Perhaps the fish weren't all killed off as in theory 1, but were eaten by the people on the ark and thus they were needful and had their place like the others.

I'm for the incest between the children of Adam and Eve, and also for the liasons with angels. And I think that it just didn't matter back in year 16 or so.

And we were taught this stuff in Sunday school by the better teachers, and used this stuff to trip up the less better teachers. In fact, the incest and sodomy stuff was okay, but all the pleasure and joy in a lover's touch, and the breasts like gazells and all that in Song of Soloman were almost NEVER mentioned outside of a married couple's class.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby Zla'od » 22 Sep 2010, 12:01

“If a bodhisattva resides as a householder and there appears a woman who is clearly unbound to anyone, habituated to sexual indulgence, attracted to the bodhisattva and seeking sexual activities, the bodhisattva having seen this thinks, 'Do not make her mind upset, producing much misfortune. If she pursues her desire, she will obtain freedom. As expedient means [upaya] I will take her in and have her plant the roots for virtue, also having her abandon unwholesome karma. I will engage in impure activities [abrahma-carya] with a compassionate mind.' Even practising such defiled activities like this, there is nothing that is violated [precepts], and much merit will be produced." -- from the Yogācārabhūmi Śāstra

For even more saucy Buddhist scripture, see http://sdhammika.blogspot.tw/2010/08/st ... m-all.html
Zla'od
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

78 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 22 Sep 2010, 14:02

Did Adam & Eve's kids commit incest?
No. They invented it.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Religion & Spirituality