Bible question: Did Adam & Eve's kids commit incest?

Re: Bible question: Did Adam & Eve's kids commit incest?

Postby bob » 23 May 2008, 14:06

Fortigurn wrote: 'This man came to live here as a foreigner, and now he dares to judge us!

And thus was born forumosa!
bob
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

21 Recognized(s)

Postby Screaming Jesus » 23 May 2008, 15:40

Were Adam and Eve created as adults, or did God put them on Earth as babies? And how did they defend themselves against predators (the animal variety)?

I vaguely recall something about Adam having been created at the age of 30, because that was the most perfect age. (Obviously, then, Eve would have been about 16.) The animals would not turn "evil" until after the Fall of Man--back in Eden, lion would lie with lamb, and so on. (Possibly Adam also laid with lamb prior to the introduction of Eve, but never mind.)
Screaming Jesus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 23 May 2008, 15:54

Speaking of Eden, why did God lie about what would happen if they ate the forbidden fruit . . .

God, at Genesis 2:17 wrote:But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

and the serpent told the truth?

The Serpent, at Genesis 3:4-5 wrote:And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. . .

Who should we trust, God or a Serpent?
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby bob » 23 May 2008, 16:03

God or a talking snake. Tough one.
bob

21 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 23 May 2008, 16:16

Mother Theresa wrote:Who should we trust, God or a Serpent?

I wouldn't Adam & Eve either of them.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

91 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Jack Burton » 23 May 2008, 16:19

Screaming Jesus wrote:
Possibly Adam also laid with lamb prior to the introduction of Eve, but never mind.

Maybe Australia/New Zealand is where the fabled Eden doth lie.
Jack Burton: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
Lo Pan: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!
Forumosan avatar
Jack Burton
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

4 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Fortigurn » 23 May 2008, 23:57

Screaming Jesus wrote:I vaguely recall something about Adam having been created at the age of 30, because that was the most perfect age. (Obviously, then, Eve would have been about 16.) The animals would not turn "evil" until after the Fall of Man--back in Eden, lion would lie with lamb, and so on. (Possibly Adam also laid with lamb prior to the introduction of Eve, but never mind.)

Sounds like a rabbinical commentary.

Mother Theresa wrote:Speaking of Eden, why did God lie about what would happen if they ate the forbidden fruit . .

He didn't. Here's the curse from God which results from Adam eating the fruit:

Genesis 3:
19 By the sweat of your brow you will eat food
until you return to the ground,
for out of it you were taken;
for you are dust, and to dust you will return.“

DB, this is for you:

Genesis 4:
13 Then Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is too great to endure!
14 Look! You are driving me off the land today, and I must hide from your presence. I will be a homeless wanderer on the earth; whoever finds me will kill me.“
15 But the Lord said to him, “All right then, if anyone kills Cain, Cain will be avenged seven times as much.“ Then the Lord put a special mark on Cain so that no one who found him would strike him down.
16 So Cain went out from the presence of the Lord and lived in the land of Nod, east of Eden.
Hiking gear.
Forumosan avatar
Fortigurn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

13 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

Postby R. Daneel Olivaw » 24 May 2008, 04:01

One interpretation: The day Adam and Eve ate of the fruit they suffered a form of death-- being barred from the presence of God.

Another interpretation: A day to God is as a 1000 years to man. So, when God said "in that day" it gave Adam a thousand years. He died before he hit 1000. Adam would have known that God's day was like that.
In freeing ourselves of some of the shackles that held us down, we removed some of the bindings that kept us together.
Forumosan avatar
R. Daneel Olivaw
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby Screaming Jesus » 24 May 2008, 09:32

Couldn't be rabbinical, because in that case the perfect age would be 40. It might be scholastic in origin (30 being the traditional age of Christ at the commencement of his mission).
Screaming Jesus

2 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 24 May 2008, 14:40

Tyc00n wrote:So how do you explain then that this genotype for the whole race is no longer in each human being? Is it continually being diluted? If so, this should observed.

Also, why is there more genetic diversity within Africa in comparison to the rest of the world combined?

Did you read what I said? Did you read the articles on Genotype and Phenotype? Everyone has the Genotype. But you look different from other people because of what is physically expressed, i.e. the Phenotype. It is based on this that they can trace migration paths in humans, and they can genetically trace everyone back to one common ancestor.

Tyc00n wrote:You know its f'ing funny when people try to somehow merge science with religion. It simply doesn't work, for the following reason:
1) Science starts with a hypothesis based on observation, and uses facts / data / experimentation as evidence to support that hypothesis. It makes no assumptions but that which has already been 'proven' before.

2) Religion starts with the facts, and then supports any scientific evidence that corelates with it and dismisses anything that is contradictory.

:roll: There's no pleasing some people. Back your faith with the Bible and you're a religious wacko who can't think logically. Use science to explain something and that's contradictory. Nothing in science that is actually provable is contradictory to what I believe. Things that I don't believe in (like evolution for example) takes more faith to believe in than the Bible IMHO.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Religion & Spirituality