Yes, Christmas Has Pagan Roots. Do You Want a Cookie?

Yes, Christmas Has Pagan Roots. Do You Want a Cookie?

Postby Gao Bohan » 07 Dec 2010, 02:05

Why is it that every Christmas, annoying atheists must boorishly point out that Christmas has pagan roots? Oh, the Christmas tree is based on the Roman festival of Saturnalia! And Germans worshiped trees? The Pope declared Christmas to be December 25 so pagan converts would celebrate the birth of Jesus rather than the rebirth of the sun. Did you know that? Huh, well did you? See, I'm so smart!!

Yes, you sophomoric idiot, I did know that. I haven't been a believer for years, but I knew all those things, when I was one. And no, I'm not really going to give you a cookie, or even condescendingly pat your head. EVERYBODY knows that Christmas has pagan roots, and NOBODY cares. It's still a distinctly Christian holy day. Get over it.
Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
 
Posts: 6418
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 03:20
Location: The Glorious American Empire
163 Recommends(s)
300 Recognized(s)



Re: Yes, Christmas Has Pagan Roots. Do You Want a Cookie?

Postby Tempo Gain » 07 Dec 2010, 02:16

It's a day. It can mean one thing to atheists, one to pagans, one to Christians, one to you, and one to me. For sure forcing an interpretation on someone isn't what it's about. Anyone who doesn't get that is really missing the point in my opinion.
Image
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 11388
Joined: 16 Jul 2004, 22:41
Location: Taipei
320 Recommends(s)
314 Recognized(s)



Re: Yes, Christmas Has Pagan Roots. Do You Want a Cookie?

Postby Chris » 07 Dec 2010, 02:31

Gao Bohan wrote:Why is it that every Christmas, annoying atheists must boorishly point out that Christmas has pagan roots?

That's usually in response to some annoying theist boorishly pointing out that Jeezin' is the reason for the season. :cool:
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 14926
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 15:51
Location: Type-A, Tie-one-on
86 Recommends(s)
194 Recognized(s)



Re: Yes, Christmas Has Pagan Roots. Do You Want a Cookie?

Postby Gao Bohan » 07 Dec 2010, 02:36

Tempo Gain wrote:Anyone who doesn't get that is really missing the point in my opinion.


Which is what, exactly? This thread has nothing to do with forcing an "interpretation". Nor is this thread about neo-pagans or polite atheists who celebrate family in a secular manner etc. I'm talking about atheists/agnostics relishing their "arcane" knowledge that many Christmas rituals have pagan roots, and taking the opportunity to spout their great wisdom at each and every opportunity.
Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
 
Posts: 6418
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 03:20
Location: The Glorious American Empire
163 Recommends(s)
300 Recognized(s)



Re: Yes, Christmas Has Pagan Roots. Do You Want a Cookie?

Postby freethinker83 » 07 Dec 2010, 03:57

Gao Bohan wrote:
Tempo Gain wrote:Anyone who doesn't get that is really missing the point in my opinion.


Which is what, exactly? This thread has nothing to do with forcing an "interpretation". Nor is this thread about neo-pagans or polite atheists who celebrate family in a secular manner etc. I'm talking about atheists/agnostics relishing their "arcane" knowledge that many Christmas rituals have pagan roots, and taking the opportunity to spout their great wisdom at each and every opportunity.

Actually you would be very surprised as to how many people STILL don't know this. I mentioned this to my collegues at work who were asking about the origin of the Christmas tree and they were floored when I told them christmas had pagan roots! And I live in San Francisco for god's sake LOL :loco:
Mike Price
麥克 普瑞斯
www.ThinkTaiwan.com
Connecting the World to Taiwan
Forumosan avatar
freethinker83
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 284
Joined: 31 Dec 2009, 13:30
Location: San Francisco
1 Recognized(s)



Re: Yes, Christmas Has Pagan Roots. Do You Want a Cookie?

Postby Gao Bohan » 07 Dec 2010, 04:13

Chris wrote:That's usually in response to some annoying theist boorishly pointing out that Jeezin' is the reason for the season.


Whether or not Christmas has pagan roots is irrelevant, so your response would be a non-sequitur. Even if there were no such thing as Sol Invictus or Saturnalia or Yule or any other pre-Christian winter festivals, and each and every aspect of Christmas were uniquely Christian, without any sort of pagan or Jewish influence, Christmas would still have more significance than celebrating the birth of Jesus. The family getting together, hanging the stockings, decorating the tree, cooking and eating delicious foods, exchanging gifts, etc., would still have meaning beyond the religious aspect.

You add absolutely nothing to the conversation by vomiting out whatever little knowledge you have about Roman/Persian/Germanic winter festivals. You (and I don't mean you personally, of course) just come off as a smug, irritating little schoolboy with a bone to pick with Christianity. Not the intelligent, clever, knowledgeable adult you mistakenly believe you are projecting.
Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
 
Posts: 6418
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 03:20
Location: The Glorious American Empire
163 Recommends(s)
300 Recognized(s)



Re: Yes, Christmas Has Pagan Roots. Do You Want a Cookie?

Postby freethinker83 » 07 Dec 2010, 04:51

Gao Bohan wrote:
Chris wrote:That's usually in response to some annoying theist boorishly pointing out that Jeezin' is the reason for the season.


Whether or not Christmas has pagan roots is irrelevant, so your response would be a non-sequitur. Even if there were no such thing as Sol Invictus or Saturnalia or Yule or any other pre-Christian winter festivals, and each and every aspect of Christmas were uniquely Christian, without any sort of pagan or Jewish influence, Christmas would still have more significance than celebrating the birth of Jesus. The family getting together, hanging the stockings, decorating the tree, cooking and eating delicious foods, exchanging gifts, etc., would still have meaning beyond the religious aspect.

You add absolutely nothing to the conversation by vomiting out whatever little knowledge you have about Roman/Persian/Germanic winter festivals. You (and I don't mean you personally, of course) just come off as a smug, irritating little schoolboy with a bone to pick with Christianity. Not the intelligent, clever, knowledgeable adult you mistakenly believe you are projecting.

Ha..I wrote a response to you but didn't realize you were responding to someone else's post.
Mike Price
麥克 普瑞斯
www.ThinkTaiwan.com
Connecting the World to Taiwan
Forumosan avatar
freethinker83
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 284
Joined: 31 Dec 2009, 13:30
Location: San Francisco
1 Recognized(s)



Re: Yes, Christmas Has Pagan Roots. Do You Want a Cookie?

Postby TheGingerMan » 07 Dec 2010, 06:35

Where's my cookie?
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974


"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
 
Posts: 7758
Joined: 29 Aug 2005, 00:38
Location: The Thin Edge Of The Wedge
4 Recommends(s)
240 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled



Re: Yes, Christmas Has Pagan Roots. Do You Want a Cookie?

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 07 Dec 2010, 06:53

Chris wrote:
Gao Bohan wrote:Why is it that every Christmas, annoying atheists must boorishly point out that Christmas has pagan roots?

That's usually in response to some annoying theist boorishly pointing out that Jeezin' is the reason for the season. :cool:
Exactly. And they want to emphasise that Jeebus is the original meaning of Christmas. I just can't help pointing out the flaw and non-truth in that statement.
Er.... thingy.
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
 
Posts: 9618
Joined: 26 Jun 2002, 16:01
Location: Testing spoons
2 Recognized(s)



Re: Yes, Christmas Has Pagan Roots. Do You Want a Cookie?

Postby BigJohn » 07 Dec 2010, 07:24

What's wrong with making a simple observation? Using all those hateful adjectives doesn't do anything to actually say why this practice is bad, you know.
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
 
Posts: 4756
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 01:45
Location: Lost in time, lost in space...and meaning
1 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next




Proceed to Religion & Spirituality



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 3 visitors

Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is the special occasion -- UNKNOWN