Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

What is your purpose in life?

What is your purpose in life?

Postby divea » 16 Feb 2011, 20:20

I don't know mine. And it intrigues me, how some people always knew, or could see the bigger picture and make choices in life to lead them there. I don't mean things career wise, but you know like a calling. Something that you excel at, and sth. that takes you to higher ground. I know there are a lot of musicians here and their music fulfills them, but then do they feel like 'this is it, this is what I always wanted to do, I am content'.

Sounds Oprah -ish, but how do you see the bigger picture?? We all lead our lives, and have our big joys and victories, and little disappointments and huge sorrows, but how do you find your calling? We are all given second chances in life and then third and then fourth, and sometimes we still have a life after screwing it up beyond measure, there must be a reason for that no??? Why??? Or is the idea of a bigger purpose just spiritual talk to make you feel inadequate? Is Going about our daily lives and doing good, and being honest enough?
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
362 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Re: What is your purpose in life?

Postby Jaboney » 16 Feb 2011, 21:26

Being a teacher, working to encourage, empower and, here and there in whatever modest way, enlighten others pretty much does it for me, so far as public life and acquaintances go. Closer to home, other considerations come into play.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby k.k. » 16 Feb 2011, 22:08

I don't know mine either. I know some of the things I do serve a purpose, but is that my purpose in life? I dunno. I do enjoy what I do, I like my life, I'm usually mostly upbeat about things, even my day to day routines (we all have them) I enjoy. What it all means, or what it's supposed to be, or what I'm supposed to be doing, purpose in life, I don't know if I'll ever know.
Forumosan avatar
k.k.
"Drinks for the House!"

30 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby Bubba 2 Guns » 16 Feb 2011, 22:45

There are too many humans on this planet for all of us to have a purpose.
""It occurred to me, the basis of fiction, is that people have some sort of connection with each other that they don't" -Richard Harrow
Forumosan avatar
Bubba 2 Guns
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

6 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 16 Feb 2011, 22:57

Bubba 2 Guns wrote:There are too many humans on this planet for all of us to have a purpose porpoise.

(We apologise for the inconvenience.)
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby maoman » 16 Feb 2011, 23:05

My purpose in life is to give back more love than I get. Some days that's really easy. :doh:
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 17 Feb 2011, 03:46

Im just wingin it as i go
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

591 Recommends(s)
371 Recognized(s)

Postby Namahottie » 17 Feb 2011, 03:50

To be just like Oprah and have world domination thru "living my best life"
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 17 Feb 2011, 04:22

If we have to boil it down to an aphorism, I'd say mine is, "Do no harm." I do have a copy of A Purpose Driven Life by Dr. Rick Warren and I will go through it one of these days. It's kind of a Bible study thing, but I don't take everything literally.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby Joschka » 17 Feb 2011, 05:26

How to have a purpose in life which itself has no purpose? I have a method of living which accomplishes some limited goals but there is no ultimate purpose. Over time, humans and everything we do will vanish without a trace.
Jim Kay
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I like to think intelligence is contagious. Unfortunately, it isn't" Gore VIdal
Joschka
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Religion & Spirituality