Does Prayer Work?

Does Prayer Work?

Postby jimipresley » 01 Mar 2011, 19:33

Interesting to see leaders of the traditionally strongly conservative NG Church in South Africa becoming less dogmatic:

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... e-20110301

I'm reminded of this article from a while back:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 072638.ece

I have no doubt that prayer can be a powerful meditative tool for inner peace and tranquility, hence sometimes a catalyst to self-healing. But praying for others?

What do people think about this? Is the modern theist evolving?
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1050 Recommends(s)
389 Recognized(s)

Re: Prayer Doesn't Work

Postby Chris » 01 Mar 2011, 19:35

I believe it was Robert G. Ingersoll who said, "Hands that help are far better than lips that pray."
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

92 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby Got To Be Kidding » 01 Mar 2011, 19:45

The point about prayer is relationship with the one being prayed to.
israeloutlook.com

Liberalism - politics for those who can't do math.
Forumosan avatar
Got To Be Kidding
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

49 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 01 Mar 2011, 19:54

Got To Be Kidding wrote:The point about prayer is relationship with the one being prayed to.

I don't quite get that. Can you expand?
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1050 Recommends(s)
389 Recognized(s)

Prayer Doesn't Work

Postby maoman » 01 Mar 2011, 20:10

Jp, you totally missed the point of the article. Dude isn't saying prayer doesn't work, he's saying it doesn't work if you treat God as some sort of celestial Santa Claus. Did you not get that from the article?
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 01 Mar 2011, 20:32

maoman wrote:Jp, you totally missed the point of the article. Dude isn't saying prayer doesn't work, he's saying it doesn't work if you treat God as some sort of celestial Santa Claus. Did you not get that from the article?

I think I did get that, maoman. My point is that the idea of what prayer is, seems to be evolving. To most theists, God IS actually a celestial Santa Claus that they turn to in their darkest hours and expect miracles from. SA dominee is saying that there are other forces at work that God has put in place and you should look at prayer as a communion, not a Christmas stocking request sheet.

Perchance my thread title was insensitive. I've changed it. "Prayer doesn't work" is the name of the article that I posted.

Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1050 Recommends(s)
389 Recognized(s)

Postby Got To Be Kidding » 01 Mar 2011, 21:45

jimipresley wrote:Perchance my thread title was insensitive. I've changed it. "Prayer doesn't work" is the name of the article that I posted.

Speaking as one of the theists, I had no problem with your original title. Theists who are easily offended need to spend more time with their holy books.

My point about prayer is also tied in with divea's interesting post, here:

http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=95778

God doesn't need our input into His plans. If someone has gotten far enough into his/her theism to believe that God exists... that God is the Creator... well, it logically follows that God doesn't need our advice.

But, WE need to be making that input. Prayer isn't just about bringing our requests before the Almighty. It's actually more about a process that brings us into line with God's purpose, and our purpose.

And, before anyone thinks that I am dispensing with the need for prayer, think again.

I believe that our whole life should be about having an attitude of prayer.

So, yeah. Prayer works. (At least, it's worked for me.)
israeloutlook.com

Forumosan avatar
Got To Be Kidding

49 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Re: Does Prayer Work?

Postby Tempo Gain » 01 Mar 2011, 22:56

I think Aretha thinks so

Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

332 Recommends(s)
325 Recognized(s)

Postby Got To Be Kidding » 02 Mar 2011, 00:03

I love that song!

But, I've made the mistake of taking a second look at my post, and I can't help myself. I gotta add sumthin'.

Not long after I got married (just three years ago!), my wife told me that she'd started praying for me when she was 17. I ran a quick calculation in my head and realized that her prayers for me coincided with a spectacular crash n burn in my attempt to become a physicist - a truly traumatic experience, I can tell you.

I gotta be careful around the little woman. God listens to her.
israeloutlook.com

Forumosan avatar
Got To Be Kidding

49 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby ThreadKiller » 03 Mar 2011, 17:56

Forgive me for adding my :2cents: I've stayed away from the R&S forum for a while - and perhaps for a good reason.

Not wanting to insult anyone's interpretation of events in his or her own life, I'd just like to say that of course prayer doesn't work (except as a calming influence for one's self). The fact that no believer can post any empirical evidence for the efficacy of prayer makes this clear. People can only provide testimony, and with so many people praying in the world, coincidences are going to happen. When I believed, I sometimes thought God was opening doors for me. Now that I don't believe, I realize that doors were (and are) opened because I applied myself or because of pure luck.

I know that anyone who believes will tell you: "Faith can't be tested". I agree. And for me it doesn't make sense to believe in something that can't be tested. No decent God would expect that from any of us.
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Melvin Udall)

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." (Denis Diderot)

"I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for people." (Katharine Hepburn)

This post was recommended by dashgalaxy86 (04 Mar 2011, 00:42)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
ThreadKiller
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

99 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Religion & Spirituality