A Fire-side Reading of Dawkins' Hate Mail

A Fire-side Reading of Dawkins' Hate Mail

Postby ThreadKiller » 04 Mar 2011, 12:51

I'm happy to see that the R&S forum is still frequented by people with widely differing belief systems. So here is something a little light-hearted for atheists, although it might get a chuckle from others as well.

Here's what Richard Dawkins likes to do with friends on a cold night: read his hate mail.

Three words from God to you ... "You are a fool."

... right now your destiny is all fucked up, you fucking atheist ...

I suppose it shouldn't be funny when mail wishes for one's death but at least the posters aren't threatening to kill Dawkins, they are just wishing that God would do something about him. :D

Of course the vitriol is only from a small proportion of believers, but I do wonder how much hate mail fringe scientists send to famous evangelicals when they feel science is threatened by religion?
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Melvin Udall)

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." (Denis Diderot)

"I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for people." (Katharine Hepburn)
Forumosan avatar
ThreadKiller
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
99 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Re: A Fire-side Reading of Dawkin's Hate Mail

Postby Tempo Gain » 04 Mar 2011, 12:55

Sounds like they were having a raring time over there
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

291 Recommends(s)
295 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 04 Mar 2011, 13:04

Nice. That reminds me of what Abbie Hoffman said was his favorite bit of hate mail: "Just wait till Jesus gets his hands on you, you little bastard."
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby wollemi » 04 Mar 2011, 13:08

I wish Dawkins would stick to doing evolutionary science. That is interesting. His views on religion are not.
wollemi
Smurf account
Smurf account

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Got To Be Kidding » 04 Mar 2011, 13:20

cranky laowai wrote:Nice. That reminds me of what Abbie Hoffman said was his favorite bit of hate mail: "Just wait till Jesus gets his hands on you, you little bastard."

THAT was a GOOD one! :roflmao:

threadkiller wrote:Of course the vitriol is only from a small proportion of believers, but I do wonder how much hate mail fringe scientists send to famous evangelicals when they feel science is threatened by religion?

Actually, religious leaders get much the same kind of hate mail. There are idiots everywhere.

I don't happen to agree with Dawkins, but he seems like an exceptionally likeable guy. The fact that he thinks that what I believe is ridiculous, makes no difference whatsoever.
israeloutlook.com

Liberalism - politics for those who can't do math.
Forumosan avatar
Got To Be Kidding
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

49 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 04 Mar 2011, 13:21

wollemi wrote:I wish Dawkins would stick to doing evolutionary science. That is interesting. His views on religion are not.

I disagree. I find his views on religion and atheism captivating and well thought out.

In any case, I just love hearing him read the letters from profanity-spewing disciples of Christ in his oh-so-proper English accent!
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

84 Recommends(s)
180 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 04 Mar 2011, 13:26

Yes, he is very interesting, he makes a lot of good points.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

291 Recommends(s)
295 Recognized(s)

Postby Fortigurn » 04 Mar 2011, 13:27

How can so many Christians justify being so utterly revolting? How on earth do they justify swearing like that, for a start?

Chris wrote:I disagree. I find his views on religion and atheism captivating and well thought out.

That would change if you were exposed to quality commentary on the subjects. Dawkins is a biologist, and a very enlightening and entertaining one. But he's less than an amateur religious commentator, and amazingly uninformed on the subject. I wouldn't get him to do my plumbing either.
Hiking gear.
Forumosan avatar
Fortigurn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

13 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

Postby wollemi » 04 Mar 2011, 13:33

Chris wrote:
wollemi wrote:I wish Dawkins would stick to doing evolutionary science. That is interesting. His views on religion are not.

I disagree. I find his views on religion and atheism captivating and well thought out.

I agree they are thought out. I'd just prefer to read about his science and not hear about his religious views. For example, I wouldn't want to read Darwin for views on atheism but for views on evolution. Equally, I won't listen to Chomsky about politics. Well, to be fair I don't really read or listen to Chomsky all that much anymore. Not since they busted Marc Hauser. :doh: I read Hitchens for some atheism. I like to keep things separate. But thats just me.
wollemi
Smurf account
Smurf account

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 04 Mar 2011, 13:37

He has a lot to say on the subject of atheism, and he says it well. It doesn't matter who he is. Maybe Jesus should have stuck to building houses!
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

291 Recommends(s)
295 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Religion & Spirituality