Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Impact of religion on society

Re: Impact of religion on society

Postby Mucha Man » 05 Mar 2011, 00:22

Fortigurn wrote:shall we start on the atrocities which have been committed explicitly in the name of science, and still are?

We could start with animal experiments and factory farming.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Fortigurn » 05 Mar 2011, 00:29

Mucha Man wrote:We could start with animal experiments and factory farming.

I would include agents of biological and chemical warfare. The psychology behind the creation of these weapons is precisely the psychology behind the atrocities of the Inquisition; 'We're scientists, the rules don't apply to us'.
Fortigurn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

Postby dashgalaxy86 » 05 Mar 2011, 00:30

Fortigurn wrote:
dashgalaxy86 wrote:What did Galileo get executed for believing, again?

I hate to break it to you, but Galileo was not executed. He wasn't even tortured.

The point is religion has held back science, but actually it's not just religion but stubborn conservativism.

The second part of this sentence is closer to the truth.

dashgalaxy86 wrote:There's a difference; those atrocities weren't committed in the name of atheism.

Acts by atheists such as killing religious people and destroying religious cultural artifacts and literature were in fact committed in the name of atheism. Shall we start on the atrocities which have been committed explicitly in the name of science, and still are?

I will be in my other thread. Sorry for my embarrassing historical error!
dashgalaxy86
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Fortigurn » 05 Mar 2011, 00:34

dashgalaxy86 wrote:I will be in my other thread. Sorry for my embarrassing historical error!

If it's any consolation, Galileo was put under house arrest and made to recant. Does that help?
Fortigurn

Postby Got To Be Kidding » 05 Mar 2011, 00:49

Actually, I love this:

On 31 October 1992, 350 years after Galileo's death, Pope John Paul II gave an address on behalf of the Catholic Church in which he admitted that errors had been made by the theological advisors in the case of Galileo. He declared the Galileo case closed, but he did not admit that the Church was wrong to convict Galileo on a charge of heresy because of his belief that the Earth rotates round the sun.

What beautiful irony.

Why would ANYONE want to be a Christian if THAT is what it means to be a Christian?
israeloutlook.com

Liberalism - politics for those who can't do math.
Got To Be Kidding
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby Fortigurn » 05 Mar 2011, 00:55

Got To Be Kidding wrote:Why would ANYONE want to be a Christian if THAT is what it means to be a Christian?

It's just one of a number of reasons why I've never been particularly impressed by the truth claims of the RCC. They could at least have been consistent and condemned Copernicus and all the Jesuits who were happily using geocentrism in their scientific investigations prior to and after Galileo. But the Galileo business was more about politics than religion.
Fortigurn

Postby urodacus » 05 Mar 2011, 09:20

People don't "commit atrocities in the name of science". What a puerile notion.

People may use the products of science to kill others (quite often in the name of one religion or another), but nobody sits down and says "Let's defend science by whacking a few theists upside the head with a large vial of botulinus toxin".

Get real.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Got To Be Kidding » 05 Mar 2011, 09:46

urodacus wrote:People don't "commit atrocities in the name of science". What a puerile notion.

People may use the products of science to kill others (quite often in the name of one religion or another), but nobody sits down and says "Let's defend science by whacking a few theists upside the head with a large vial of botulinus toxin".

Get real.

Actually, I think that this is exactly what happened in several communist countries.

And, communism itself is a political ideology that was inspired by science.

Oh, and let's not forget Nazi Germany and Pol Pot. And, I think, the Cultural revolution.

It's all the same idea.

People feel threatened by disagreement and go for the knife.
israeloutlook.com

Liberalism - politics for those who can't do math.
Got To Be Kidding

Postby urodacus » 05 Mar 2011, 09:49

"and as it can be claimed that the knife was a product of science, then science is the root of all evil". That's a facile argument.

And communism isn't science. It may be what some people have given the lofty and undeserved title of a "social science" but it is not a science, nor is it founded on scientific theory or scientific method. It's a philosophy. So are most religions, BTW, with the addition of belief in a supernatural which may or may not be populated by one or more supernatural beings. Sprites, demons, gods, elementals, etc.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Fortigurn » 05 Mar 2011, 11:50

urodacus wrote:People don't "commit atrocities in the name of science". What a puerile notion.

No one was talking about defending science with atrocities. But that atrocities have been committed in the name of science is beyond dispute. How many examples would you like of atrocities committed with the justification that they were advancing the body of scientific knowledge?
Fortigurn

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality