Theism vs. Atheism: Civil Discussion

Re: Theism vs. Atheism: Civil Discussion

Postby Mucha Man » 05 Mar 2011, 17:31

Got To Be Kidding wrote:
dashgalaxy86 wrote:So atheists obviously have no need to help people, right? And without a God, it makes no sense to help someone? God is the only possible justification for doing good deeds? Puh-leeeease.

Nope. Didn't say that. Didn't imply it.

I think that people help each other because we have an built-in need to do that.

What I am saying, is that you should try to see the actions of theists as a part of this desire to help - whether or not that help is misguided.

A normal person, athiest or theist, who sees a person drowning will naturally throw a life-ring to that person.

Likewise, if a theist sees you 'on the road to hell', he/she will try to 'throw you a life-ring' to give you a chance to 'save' yourself. It's completely natural.

Which has what to do with this thread?
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby Got To Be Kidding » 05 Mar 2011, 21:43

Muzha Man wrote:
Got To Be Kidding wrote:
dashgalaxy86 wrote:So atheists obviously have no need to help people, right? And without a God, it makes no sense to help someone? God is the only possible justification for doing good deeds? Puh-leeeease.

I think that people help each other because we have an built-in need to do that.

What I am saying, is that you should try to see the actions of theists as a part of this desire to help - whether or not that help is misguided.

A normal person, athiest or theist, who sees a person drowning will naturally throw a life-ring to that person.

Likewise, if a theist sees you 'on the road to hell', he/she will try to 'throw you a life-ring' to give you a chance to 'save' yourself. It's completely natural.

Many are mystified as to why Christians and like-minded theists are so focused on sharing their faith with everyone.
israeloutlook.com

Liberalism - politics for those who can't do math.
Forumosan avatar
Got To Be Kidding
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

49 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 05 Mar 2011, 22:10

Got To Be Kidding wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:
Got To Be Kidding wrote:

Many are mystified as to why Christians and like-minded theists are so focused on sharing their faith with everyone.

I don't doubt that's true. But what does that have to do with this thread?
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby Got To Be Kidding » 06 Mar 2011, 01:07

Muzha Man wrote:
Got To Be Kidding wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:
Got To Be Kidding wrote:

I don't doubt that's true. But what does that have to do with this thread?

DG made a germane statement, and I responded with a germane statement. A series of germane statements make a thread.

But hey, I don't mind going back and forth with ridiculous questions. I love being ridiculous. :)
israeloutlook.com

Forumosan avatar
Got To Be Kidding

49 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 06 Mar 2011, 07:51

Indeed you do. Considering there are no theists on board trying to save drowning lives your comment is off-the-wall, or Germaine perhaps.

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 06 Mar 2011, 12:40

Muzha Man wrote: I guess you were. Apologies.

I really did feel so. Have to run but wanted to say thanks first, and retract what I unwisely said there in the heat of the moment.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

320 Recommends(s)
313 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 06 Mar 2011, 13:22

Tempo Gain wrote:
Muzha Man wrote: I guess you were. Apologies.

I really did feel so. Have to run but wanted to say thanks first, and retract what I unwisely said there in the heat of the moment.

But it was fun to see you lose your cool! :lol:
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

367 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Postby Got To Be Kidding » 06 Mar 2011, 13:35

Muzha Man wrote:Indeed you do. Considering there are no theists on board trying to save drowning lives your comment is off-the-wall, or Germaine perhaps.

Oh for crying out loud. Look, a part of this discussion is about a civil discussion of where atheism and theism INTERACT. Part of that interaction causes friction. An explanation of the reasons for the friction in that interaction are G-E-R-M-A-N-E to this discussion. (Germaine is either an olive or a yarn. I had to look it up, 'cuz my spelling ability isn't so great, either.)
israeloutlook.com

Forumosan avatar
Got To Be Kidding

49 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 06 Mar 2011, 14:09

Not how I read it. I see a bunch of non-believers all-too-ready to call believers idiots or whatever and a bunch of believers calling non-believers idiots or whatever. :roll:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Got To Be Kidding » 06 Mar 2011, 14:31

sandman wrote:

Not how I read it. I see a bunch of non-believers all-too-ready to call believers idiots or whatever and a bunch of believers calling non-believers idiots or whatever. :roll:

I completely understand that. If we could all step away from invective and look at each other as people just trying to do the best that we can... well, we'd get somewhere. And, for those who act like idiots... well, lets try not to return fire for fire.

We've all been idiots once upon a time. :)
israeloutlook.com

Forumosan avatar
Got To Be Kidding

49 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Religion & Spirituality