Why are religious people fatter than non-religious?

Re: Why are religious people fatter than non-religious?

Postby bababa » 29 Mar 2011, 10:02

It's because many religious people are religious because there is something wrong - they were abused as children, or they are unhappy and unfulfilled, or they have a very stressful life, or are suffering from some mental disorder. So they are searching for some way to make them feel better. Some seek out the solace that organized religion can provide.
Now the same troubled life or troubled personality can lead people to seek solace in food. Many people eat to calm down - it's a form of self-medication. Done for too long a time, this will tend to make them obese. So there's the correlation between being religious and being obese: troubled people seeking relief.
bababa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 29 Mar 2011, 10:10

bababa wrote:It's because many religious people are religious because there is something wrong

I'm much better now.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 29 Mar 2011, 10:39

Maybe Yahweh had a reason for those diet laws.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

250 Recommends(s)
260 Recognized(s)

Postby Got To Be Kidding » 29 Mar 2011, 10:50

bababa wrote:It's because many religious people are religious because there is something wrong - they were abused as children, or they are unhappy and unfulfilled, or they have a very stressful life, or are suffering from some mental disorder. So they are searching for some way to make them feel better. Some seek out the solace that organized religion can provide.
Now the same troubled life or troubled personality can lead people to seek solace in food. Many people eat to calm down - it's a form of self-medication. Done for too long a time, this will tend to make them obese. So there's the correlation between being religious and being obese: troubled people seeking relief.

Would you believe that I'm gonna disagree with you?

The "troubled believer" subset of those who are religious is just that, a subset - and a tiny one at that. I've experienced too many people of too many different faiths to make any other observation. Do difficulties in life draw you closer to God? Of course.

But, I've seen even more people driven farther from God by their difficulties than closer.
israeloutlook.com

Liberalism - politics for those who can't do math.
Forumosan avatar
Got To Be Kidding
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

49 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby Fortigurn » 29 Mar 2011, 18:02

Mother Theresa wrote:and, if the results are accurate, what's the reason?

I concur with DB's comments; other factors haven't been controlled for, so religious participation in young adulthood is only indicated as correlated, not causative. Furthermore, one pot luck and a sit down once or twice a week isn't going to make anywhere near the impact on someone's health as what they do during the rest of the week, so the act of eating and sitting down at church isn't contributing to the dietary problem. Noting that the religious participation measured was in young adulthood, but obesity only manifested later in life, it would be useful to see if those young adults retained the same religious participation up to the point that they became obese later in life, or whether their religious participation dropped off before that time.

I did find this part of the article interesting.

Feinstein says while obesity appears to be an issue for religious people, previous studies have shown that the faithful tend to live longer, be less likely to smoke, and to have better mental health status.

“The message is really an optimistic one,” he says. “Churches already have infrastructures in place, groups of people gathering regularly and providing social support. That’s hugely beneficial in implementing health intervention or implementing programs geared toward diet and physical activity."

divea wrote:No one is taking this seriously okay?? Fortigurn hasn't posted here yet so chill.

Fortigurn has now posted. You may all feel free to stop chilling and start flaming. :lol:
Hiking gear.
Forumosan avatar
Fortigurn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

13 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

Postby the chief » 29 Mar 2011, 18:06

Fortigurn wrote:...the faithful tend to live longer, be less likely to smoke, and to have better mental health status[/b]

Whoops.
So much for me, I guess.
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
Forumosan avatar
the chief
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 29 Mar 2011, 22:45

TheGingerMan wrote:
divea wrote:
adikarmika wrote:
Mother Theresa wrote:So, do you believe the results of this study may be correct or not?

study, conducted by researchers at Northwestern University, found that young adults who frequently attended religious activities were far more likely to become obese than those who didn’t.

“Our main finding was that people with a high frequency of religious participation in young adulthood were 50 percent more likely to become obese by middle age than those with no religious participation in young adulthood,” . . .

It is wrong to equate religious people with people who frequently participate in religious activities. In fact, such people may well constitute a minority of religious people. Most of India is religious, but it tends to take the form of simple personal rituals rather than frequent attendance of organised activities.

I guess the study was mainly about going to church on Sunday or not. Americans tend to lead sedentary lifestyles. So, if the only chance you have to do something physical is on the weekends, and instead of going for a Sunday bike ride, you go to church, then of course you're more likely to be overweight.

No one is taking this seriously okay?? Fortigurn hasn't posted here yet so chill. The study is a bunch of crap, I dare say.

Oh, please.
If that's the standard, then let's just give up the ghost right on in.

I dare some folk need to read more themselves than be swept usunder by the jowls of others.~~~

Yeah, I think most bitter, spineless people who have nothing to say of consequence often start a post with crappy insults....and will cry foul like a whiny baby.......because if they had a sense of humour, they'd realize I was basically telling the poster to chill - Fortigun's name was taken in vain.
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

321 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby fenlander » 02 Apr 2011, 11:57

Dr. McCoy wrote:And why do we have bigger dicks?

There was another thread in the forum quoting a study showing penis size to be inversely correlated with IQ. So I guess I have a very low IQ :wink:
fenlander
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

25 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby Vorkosigan » 03 Apr 2011, 22:12

Like the studies that show the positive effects of religion, this one looks like just another social class/ lifestyle thing. I would be there is also a high correlation between obesity and belief in creationism and propensity to vote Republican, etc.
Vorkosigan
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby grumpy » 03 Apr 2011, 23:22

They wanna die quicker and get to heaven?
grumpy
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

1 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Religion & Spirituality