The 'religion sucks' thread [lightning rod]

Re: The 'religion sucks' thread [lightning rod]

Postby Chris » 12 Jun 2012, 23:18

I don't see anyone trying to cheat death, and I don't see what this supposed "spiritual hole" (as yet undefined, I see) has to do with it.

Everybody, with no exception, will die. There are no vampires.

So, folks: what does "spiritual" mean, and what is the nature of this "hole"?
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

84 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 13 Jun 2012, 07:09

Chris wrote:I don't see anyone trying to cheat death, and I don't see what this supposed "spiritual hole" (as yet undefined, I see) has to do with it.

Everybody, with no exception, will die. There are no vampires.

So, folks: what does "spiritual" mean, and what is the nature of this "hole"?

The intangible.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

80 Recommends(s)
158 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 13 Jun 2012, 08:59

Like friendship? Or knowledge?
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

84 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 24 Jul 2012, 14:02

Here's an aspect of religion I can't abide. It's the way religion can twist people's minds into thinking like monsters.

In the wake of the Colorado shooting tragedy, pastor Jerry Newcombe not only blamed the shooting on the America's supposed loss of fear of God (which is insane in itself); he went on to say that it's not a tragedy for the Christian victims, but the non-Christian victims are now burning in hell. :loco: :noway: :eek:

"If a Christian dies early, if a Christian dies young, it seems tragic, but really it is not tragic because they are going to a wonderful place.. on the other hand, if a person doesn't know Jesus Christ.. if they knowingly rejected Jesus Christ, then, basically, they are going to a terrible place." - Jerry Newcombe

Article

:fume: :raspberry: :loco:
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

84 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 21 Aug 2012, 01:09

Chris wrote:Here's an aspect of religion I can't abide. It's the way religion can twist people's minds into thinking like monsters.

In the wake of the Colorado shooting tragedy, pastor Jerry Newcombe not only blamed the shooting on the America's supposed loss of fear of God (which is insane in itself); he went on to say that it's not a tragedy for the Christian victims, but the non-Christian victims are now burning in hell. :loco: :noway: :eek:

"If a Christian dies early, if a Christian dies young, it seems tragic, but really it is not tragic because they are going to a wonderful place.. on the other hand, if a person doesn't know Jesus Christ.. if they knowingly rejected Jesus Christ, then, basically, they are going to a terrible place." - Jerry Newcombe

Article

:fume: :raspberry: :loco:

:roflmao:

I have decided that if anyone religious asks me if I'm religious or not, then I'm going to have to say that I believe in Thor.
Thor is great! Thor is strong! Thor will be my chosen god from now on! Anyone claiming that Thor does not exist is blasphemous and is a "hater". Thor is the only one god in the universe!
Thor is a superb example in my opinion, which only religious folks can get a grip on, or should get a grip on anyway as they seem to have too tough a job getting a grip on there being no gods at all. I figure that since they are inclined to believe that there can only be a god, then Thor should be the best, kick ass god out there. Thor would kick the ass of any other god in the cosmos! Thor would make them all weep like babies and beg for his almighty forgiveness!
Thor told his other demi "God" that he could mess around for seven days and make some trees and people. It's up to Thor what happens people! Thor is the human equivalent of Chuck Norris I'm telling you. God? He doesn't even have a proper title! Thor couldn't be bothered to give him one as he wasn't worth the energy.

Thor is king! Thor is the truth! Any other god sucks Thor!

Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby BrentGolf » 15 May 2013, 11:14

Religion sucks because it makes otherwise intelligent people completely unwilling to change their views based on new knowledge, new evidence, and new theories. The average scientist probably changes his beliefs and opinions a hundred times throughout his life as our knowledge and understanding of the world advances. The average religious person won't change their views no matter what new evidence is presented.

In no other aspect of a religious persons life would they so strongly reject things that can be proved to be true. Yet if a dusty old book implies otherwise, that's it :roll:
Introducing the Umbrella Fund. I aspire to provide an exciting alternative to traditional portfolio management.

http://www.TheIronCondor.com

Looking for Golf lessons in Taiwan?

Look no further, I'm your guy. I have over 20 years of tournament experience and look forward to the opportunity to help you improve your golf game. For more details, check out my website:

http://www.BrentGolf.com

http://www.about.me/BrentOsachoff

This post was recommended by Novaspes (19 May 2013, 22:20)
Rating: 5.88%
BrentGolf
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

107 Recognized(s)

Postby russian1864 » 30 Apr 2014, 01:45

Everyone is beliving something. It can be called as religion or it can be called as idea. I also known that people beliving other people too. FOr example, in a horrible stuation, chirstian wants help from Jesus Christ, a muslim wants help from Allah (God) or if you dont belivie religions you will call someone you love such as your brother or your sister, even it can be your pet too. So, human are weak they have to belive something, it unnecessary to inquire.

(At least this is what i belive. It might be wrong :pray: also im open to new ideas) :eh:
russian1864
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 30 Apr 2014, 21:03

Religion is politricks, and by extension, war, by another means.
As much as morale is vital, creating spirituallly artifical constructs is plainly just not on.

I suggest we just keep our tongues firmly in cheek, and turn it not.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
221 Recognized(s)

Postby Ermintrude » 01 May 2014, 09:57

The real question is 'Who has the the best art?' I'd say the Catholics and the stoners. You don't want to be stuck around a table with either though.
'You are not good people'.
Ermintrude
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

162 Recommends(s)
319 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 01 May 2014, 11:10

Stop making sense.

Yet surely, the protestants, the jews, and why, even those wily Americans, have all made some fine inroads unto art.
And surely discount not, the brits.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan

4 Recommends(s)
221 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Religion & Spirituality