language study visa to Germany

Willkommen im deutschen Forum von Image Deutschland.TW und Forumosa.com

Moderator: engerim

Forum rules
Willkommen im deutschen Forum von Image Deutschland.TW und Forumosa.com, ein Austausch und Diskussionsforum für Deutsche in Taiwan.
This is a forum for all German speakers. Only the German language is permitted in here.

language study visa to Germany

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 30 Sep 2010, 10:17

Hi

I need some assistance to get a language study visa to Germany. I am not really too familiar with the legal requirements or even mentality behind the language study visa, and as such I got denied when I attempted to apply for one. I know the key component (apart from standard paperwork like proof of finances, letter from language school, etc.) is the letter of motivation. That is where I messed up. I wanted to study in a university after language study (which will take about one year, then I must take TestDaf) and they said they don't think that I can finish the university study and therefore rejected my visa application. I am thinking of applying again and simply apply for a normal language study visa (not a student applicant visa) and come back to Taiwan, get accepted at a German university, and apply for a student visa.

Can someone offer some assistance on the letter of motivation, like what is an "acceptable reason" for language study in Germany? Can I simply say that I want to study German in Germany in order to understand German culture and facilitate my career?
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Re: language study visa to Germany

Postby touduke » 01 Oct 2010, 17:47

this board is mostly frequented by German nationals who don't need a language study visa for Germany and hence might have no idea what you are talking about.
Forumosan avatar
touduke
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 01 Oct 2010, 18:02

touduke wrote:this board is mostly frequented by German nationals who don't need a language study visa for Germany and hence might have no idea what you are talking about.

I am not sure where else to ask... please move it to the appropriate forum if needed.

Honestly I can't find too much info on this... the German "embassy" in Taiwan doesn't have too much information and they would not tell me this kind of information either. My friend has got me an immigration attorney but that's for US immigration, I just hope they know enough about German visa regulations to tell me something.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
Taiwan Luthiers

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby StefanMuc » 02 Oct 2010, 01:17

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:Can someone offer some assistance on the letter of motivation, like what is an "acceptable reason" for language study in Germany? Can I simply say that I want to study German in Germany in order to understand German culture and facilitate my career?

Can you give us a few more details? Why would they think you can not finish university, is it related to age, grades or whatever? I asked my wife, she never had to write a motivation letter, back when she applied for her language visa. She studied in Munich - where did you apply?

In Germany this sort of thing is handled on state level, so if you applied in a state where they are more strict for whatever reason, maybe apply in a different state next time.

Also some alternative motivations: perhaps emphasize that not many people in Taiwan speak German, but Germany is an important trade partner, so you feel learning German would provide an advantage to your career.

Regarding suitable forums - you can try this:
http://forum.chinaseite.de/forum41-60.html (Mainly focused on China, but there are a few Taiwan-related posts already.)
or this:
http://www.info4alien.de/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi (General immigration related board.)

Both boards are in German, though.

Cheers

Stefan
StefanMuc
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

3 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 02 Oct 2010, 01:22

The justification they used is I do not speak any German... but that's why I am applying for the visa am I not?!

The Taipei "embassy" requires a letter of motivation for language study, but not student visa.

I am thinking of changing location... Berlin may be just too strict.

It's funny how visas and stuff are handled on a state level... I guess Federal Republic of Germany isn't so Federal after all (kinda like Federal express)

In the US things like visa and immigration are all Federal matter, doesn't matter which State or regions you go to, the results are all the same.

Typhoon Guitars
Taiwan Luthiers

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby StefanMuc » 03 Oct 2010, 09:04

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:The justification they used is I do not speak any German... but that's why I am applying for the visa am I not?!

Yeah, but if you'd already acquired some basic skills that would demonstrate that you have an interest in German culture and language. Also it seems that typically the immigration offices limit the time you can stay on the combination of student visas and language visas. So if you stay longer on the language visa, then they can give you less time on the student visa. If you were to take too long on the language visa then you would just not have sufficient time to study in your chosen field.

This would even impact you if you would study on a pure language visa (no intention to study in Germany initially) go back to Taiwan for a few years and then apply for a student visa. In this case they might deny your student visa simply because you've spend too much time in Germany already. I've read about one case where they counted a girl's au-pair year towards her maximum stay.

Would it be an option for you to start your language studies in Taiwan?

Also: how about going for a language class in Switzerland or Austria? Not 100% sure regarding the impact for studying in Germany afterwards (there could be links, given that those are both Schengen countries - then again never underestimate the inflexibility of a bureaucratic system).

It's funny how visas and stuff are handled on a state level... I guess Federal Republic of Germany isn't so Federal after all (kinda like Federal express).

Well that's really what a federation means - it's a union of partially self-governing states. :) In Germany education is one of the fields which are in the self-governing category.

In the US things like visa and immigration are all Federal matter, doesn't matter which State or regions you go to, the results are all the same.

No they aint. Trust me on that, I've been there (literally: I worked in the US for 5 years). The INS rules are made by the federation, but the interpretations differ wildly from office to office...
StefanMuc

3 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 03 Oct 2010, 13:47

StefanMuc wrote:
Taiwan Luthiers wrote:The justification they used is I do not speak any German... but that's why I am applying for the visa am I not?!

Yeah, but if you'd already acquired some basic skills that would demonstrate that you have an interest in German culture and language. Also it seems that typically the immigration offices limit the time you can stay on the combination of student visas and language visas. So if you stay longer on the language visa, then they can give you less time on the student visa. If you were to take too long on the language visa then you would just not have sufficient time to study in your chosen field.

This would even impact you if you would study on a pure language visa (no intention to study in Germany initially) go back to Taiwan for a few years and then apply for a student visa. In this case they might deny your student visa simply because you've spend too much time in Germany already. I've read about one case where they counted a girl's au-pair year towards her maximum stay.

Would it be an option for you to start your language studies in Taiwan?

Also: how about going for a language class in Switzerland or Austria? Not 100% sure regarding the impact for studying in Germany afterwards (there could be links, given that those are both Schengen countries - then again never underestimate the inflexibility of a bureaucratic system).

It's funny how visas and stuff are handled on a state level... I guess Federal Republic of Germany isn't so Federal after all (kinda like Federal express).

Well that's really what a federation means - it's a union of partially self-governing states. :) In Germany education is one of the fields which are in the self-governing category.

No they aint. Trust me on that, I've been there (literally: I worked in the US for 5 years). The INS rules are made by the federation, but the interpretations differ wildly from office to office...

This is an interesting thread. As an American I just went to Germany and applied for my visa at the local visa office. It didn't even cost me anything. Actually I thought Germany is the most efficient country for processing visas that I have visited. Of course maybe they are not very concerned about Americans working illegally in Germany.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 03 Oct 2010, 13:50

Yes, that would be pretty much the same as in Taiwan. If one officer tells you that you cannot do something just go back tomorrow and get in the line of another officer.
steelersman

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 03 Oct 2010, 22:17

So is there any actual maximums on the number of years one can spend as a student in Germany? Like is it 2 years (would not be reasonable since most degree programs are 3-4 years) or something?

I do not plan on spending more than one year studying German... I shouldn't need more than that to get a working level (I mean not native and all) of German and I can improve slowly as I start university. I am going to Goethe institute in Taipei but they are not intensive, so it would take longer to do it in Taiwan (not to mention that no one speaks German in Taiwan so even if I spent several years at Goethe institute, I wouldn't have a working level of German until I spent at least a few years in Germany). I read other forums and did not see anything to indicate that there are a time limit to student visas, because otherwise it would be impossible to study a medical or post-graduate programs for example as they generally take more than 5 years total. I know in Taiwan there are a two year limit for language study visas, but that's only for language study.

I am hearing on the news that they're about to let Taiwan go to the EU visa free... so I will see if they'll also allow us to apply for the visa there like the Americans can...

I know when one State in the US tried to take immigration into its own hands, the Federal government moved to sue them...

Typhoon Guitars
Taiwan Luthiers

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby StefanMuc » 11 Oct 2010, 19:24

StefanMuc

3 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Diskussion auf Deutsch