Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

Re: Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Postby urodacus » 23 Apr 2012, 15:07

See, I'm this:

The Competitive Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 53.8 - 54.3
Seat tube range c-t: 55.4 - 55.9
Top tube length: 55.4 - 55.8
Stem Length: 11.5 - 12.1
BB-Saddle Position: 71.0 - 73.0
Saddle-Handlebar: 54.7 - 55.3
Saddle Setback: 5.6 - 6.0

and I love my TCR in size S.

and I run a 95 mm stem, so that I can descend with the weight back off the front wheel a bit for more corner speed and control.

54 cm classic Italian geometry, in other words.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

199 Recommends(s)
252 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 23 Apr 2012, 15:24

I'm also running a TCR in S - I'm right on the cusp, height wise (@~170cm).
Love that bike, love the fit, love the ride. In fact the more I'm in the drops the better. Not practical a lot of the time tho.
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 23 Apr 2012, 15:29

urodacus wrote:See, I'm this:

The Competitive Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 53.8 - 54.3
Seat tube range c-t: 55.4 - 55.9
Top tube length: 55.4 - 55.8
Stem Length: 11.5 - 12.1
BB-Saddle Position: 71.0 - 73.0
Saddle-Handlebar: 54.7 - 55.3
Saddle Setback: 5.6 - 6.0

and I love my TCR in size S.

and I run a 95 mm stem, so that I can descend with the weight back off the front wheel a bit for more corner speed and control.

54 cm classic Italian geometry, in other words.

The size "S" TCR geometry looks similar to the TCX as far as top tube and head tube go (seat tube is quite a bit smaller though, unless its measured differently) But IIRC you are a couple cm's shorter than me.

Giant sizing is indeed wacky, a "46.5" size "Small" having a 54cm classic Italian geometry?! :loco:
PaddyB
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 26 Apr 2012, 17:01

If you really want to know where your'e at then get fitted. Use the Retul system, it will give you precise measurements of what you need and you can stop playing these numbers games. Ok it's not cheap but, it's worth it if you want to spend good money on bikes and be comfortable. It's an amazing system. The technology is there so go use it.

http://www.facebook.com/FridayFitness in Taipei

And while your'e on the web (which you already are because your'e reading this) check out my site

http://www.headsetpress.co.uk (shameless promotion, sorry!)

Cheers
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 28 Apr 2012, 21:05

Steviebike wrote:If you really want to know where your'e at then get fitted. Use the Retul system, it will give you precise measurements of what you need and you can stop playing these numbers games. Ok it's not cheap but, it's worth it if you want to spend good money on bikes and be comfortable. It's an amazing system. The technology is there so go use it.

http://www.facebook.com/FridayFitness in Taipei

And while your'e on the web (which you already are because your'e reading this) check out my site

http://www.headsetpress.co.uk (shameless promotion, sorry!)

Cheers

Cool site! Glad I checked it at home though!

And yes I've thought about Retul. There is a shop on Tianmu E. Rd (Auranden) that speaks good English and has that setup. I should email them and see how much it is. However, after trying out quite a few bikes (as much as you can in shop), I'm pretty sure a bike with 54-55cm C-T, a 140+cm headtube, 54.5-55.5cm top tube and fairly standard seat/head/fork angles will work quite well for me. Definitely something to keep in mind though.

Anyway, thanks to all this OCD I've saved up almost 30k in bike money and lost over 5kg. Perhaps good things do come to those who wait (like a custom CX-8 perhaps).
PaddyB

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 28 Apr 2012, 22:42

PaddyB wrote:Cool site! Glad I checked it at home though!

And yes I've thought about Retul. There is a shop on Tianmu E. Rd (Auranden) that speaks good English and has that setup. I should email them and see how much it is. However, after trying out quite a few bikes (as much as you can in shop), I'm pretty sure a bike with 54-55cm C-T, a 140+cm headtube, 54.5-55.5cm top tube and fairly standard seat/head/fork angles will work quite well for me. Definitely something to keep in mind though.

Anyway, thanks to all this OCD I've saved up almost 30k in bike money and lost over 5kg. Perhaps good things do come to those who wait (like a custom CX-8 perhaps).

Yea sorry, we had a cheeky picture up there :D

Thanks and glad you liked.

Retul is a great system. I'm going to be looking into it more for the website. I think you have your range about right but, if things are not right you can actually take your current bike and do a bit of retrofitting to get it just right. Like you say, something worth thinking about.

Man, that is some serious saving on both counts :thumbsup:
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Wookiee » 28 Apr 2012, 23:02

PaddyB wrote:Cool site! Glad I checked it at home though!

I can recommend this shop 100%. James and Prince are fair andhonest blokes and the ones that put my bikes together. I use them for all my biking needs: gear, tuneups and maintainance, replacement parts, and so on.
If you really want to go for a titanium custom frame, they're the ones with the most experience in Taipei. PM me if you need a recommendation.
--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
Forumosan avatar
Wookiee
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 30 Apr 2012, 12:30

Speaking of classic Italian geometry, these Cinellis are kind of cool.

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21202105381274

The 2011 model isn't as sexy but looks pretty cheap and has better kit

http://tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction ... 0309000059
PaddyB

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 02 May 2012, 20:52

The LBS called today...they got their hands on a M size TCX for me to try. Gonna check it out tomorrow. Huzzah!

Also, I happened across a bloke at a Neihu Giant shop who happened to have a size S TCX-3 that he let me ride around the block.

It was a bit cramped with the stock 80mm stem - when I was in the drops I felt like my elbows were too close to my body. However, I think it would be fine if I switched it out to 100mm.

The bike rode nice and was a lot more stable than I thought it would be. The only annoying thing was that my foot would hit the tire if I turned too sharp. The standover height was nice - the toptube just touched the bottom of my pants without pushing up into them at all. I think the M might be pushing it if the S fits that snugly. I'm not sure if I'll be able to stand over the top tube flatfooted without having pressure on my pubic bone. I'll know tomorrow I guess.

So tomorrow I need to choose S, M or no TCX.

If you were in my shoes would you go for standover comfort (S/53) reach comfort (M/55) or wait until you found a bike thats available in 54?
PaddyB

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 02 May 2012, 21:50

http://road.cc/content/review/40142-giant-tcx-2

seems like a decent review - especially for your intended useage.
i guess less is more when it comes to the size. fit a longer stem - then you've got reach
trubadour

114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cycling