Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

Re: Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Postby Steviebike » 06 May 2012, 23:37

SteveWhatsisname
:D

Like the travelling minstrel said, get some decent slicks if road is the only place you're riding. Again, good to have choices so those CX tyres might come in handy. As for as tread patterns are concerned on tarmac they offer no advantage but do offer some on varied terrain, the close tread patterns on the 'touring' tyres won't give you much drag though.

Rolling on some smooth rubber on a smooth road... :lick:
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 07 May 2012, 12:41

Yeah, I read some Sheldon Brown article awhile back that explained why slicks are better for road use in pretty much any situation.

What I'm mainly looking for in a touring type tire is wider size and puncture protection, especially when I have the child seat on the back. I'll also be using the bike "off-highway" quite a bit. Farm roads, mountain roads etc. In the mountains, I don't want to have to get off and push if I come across some ruts or construction areas. The idea of having mixed terrain on the same ride appeals to me a lot, that's one reason I'm getting a CX bike instead of a straight up road bike.

So I'm looking for something 32-38c, with excellent puncture protection and minimal tread.

And yes, I'll also keep the stock Kendas in case I want to do a trail-heavy ride like the one from Jiaoshi to Wulai etc.
PaddyB
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
14 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby plasmatron » 07 May 2012, 13:37

I wouldn't bother with treaded tires if you'll be mostly on asphalt, IMO you'd do well to get some 700x32c or even 28c Conti Gatorskins . They're a shade heavy but tough as nails, long lasting and grippy in pretty much anything. You'll almost certainly have to order them online though as Taiwan is utterly averse to anything over 700x23c. Budget a shade over NT1,000 per wheel before shipping.

For your needs dual purpose pedals would be ideal. Good basic bang for your buck local offering is the Exustar PM811 unobtrusive, fairly light and work well both ways for around NT1,500.

Oh and congrats on the new ride. CX is the answer to Taiwan's mountain roads.
"freedom is allowed, but not encouraged." Teng Tien-yu, secretary-general, Taiwan central election comittee
Forumosan avatar
plasmatron
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

3 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 07 May 2012, 13:56

I would go for 28c Gator skins. For me, Contis have proved to be the best in terms of puncture resistance.

Those Exustar pedals look decent enough too.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 07 May 2012, 15:26

Steviebike wrote:I would go for 28c Gator skins. For me, Contis have proved to be the best in terms of puncture resistance.

Those Exustar pedals look decent enough too.

It might be totally arbitrary and 'in my head' but I'd rather go at least 32c, especially with the TCX having a higher center of gravity (classic CX BB height) and a child seat on the back. The Giant Roam I rented a few times up in Danshui had 700x32c commuter tires and I felt that size was a perfect balance of speed and cushiness/stability. The 35c's on the TCX I rode were nice too. So I'll take a serious look at those 32c gatorskins.

And those Exustars look exactly like the Shim touring pedals I was eyeing. I'll check those out too.

Oh, and this might be an extreme case of putting the cart before the horse but I was wondering if it's possible to by an Apex gruppo online and then have the LBS install it (not for free of course). They go for around $600 US online and I've been quoted much higher than that here. Since the bike is so cheap, I'm thinking about switching to SRAM for weight and ergo reasons(I have stubby fingers) before I get too used to the Shimano levers. And I have to admit, the new white Apex would look so svelte with the white highlights on the TCX-3. Queer Eye for the CX Bike! :p
PaddyB

ORIGINAL POSTER
14 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby circleback » 07 May 2012, 17:58

Maybe you can keep the triple and go for a mountain bike derailuer with a wider cassette?
Forumosan avatar
circleback
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 07 May 2012, 19:59

circleback wrote:Maybe you can keep the triple and go for a mountain bike derailuer with a wider cassette?

Yeah I can do that if I need to, regardless of whether I stay triple or go compact double.

I guess one advantage to staying with a Shimano triple is I can upgrade stuff bit by bit. From what I've read, shifters, chain and cassette need to be changed at the same time (for 10-speed conversion) and I can change the cranks and derailleurs at any point.
PaddyB

ORIGINAL POSTER
14 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 10 May 2012, 07:00

Picked up the bike very late last night so didnt have time to do much in the way of fitting. I'll have to do that later. That said, it seems like it fits great as is with the 90mm stem. The only thing that seems a bit too big on the bike is the seat tube, as expected. I'm only running about 6cm of seatpost (the T in GIANT is under the bracket). The seat is maybe a cm or two higher than the bars. Comfortable though, it felt quite nice on the ride home. Oh and either the canti brakes need better adjustment or canti brakes just suck (which I've heard). I feel like the they dont stop the bike, just slow it down.

Anyway, excited to have the bike. It rides really nice!
PaddyB

ORIGINAL POSTER
14 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby plasmatron » 10 May 2012, 10:58

Hard to say without seeing you on the bike, but for a non sloping TT geometry a short seat post extension is normal, especially for riders in between sizes. If it works for you, no worries.

Braking will improve a little as the pads and brake tracks bed in, but Canti brakes are 'speed modulators' more than anything, which is just what you want in the low traction world of CX racing. If you want road stopping power, and you probably do with your nipper on board, ask your LBS to order you a set of these http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?p ... &catid=185 they shouldn't cost anything like the list MSRP and they're designed to work with your canti pivot geometry, road wheel brake tracks and road STI lever pull ratios. If you don't want to drop that kind of cash, you could try some good koolstop or swissstop pads as a stop gap solution, OEM pads are by and large rubbish outside of flagship level systems.
"freedom is allowed, but not encouraged." Teng Tien-yu, secretary-general, Taiwan central election comittee
Forumosan avatar
plasmatron

3 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 10 May 2012, 12:13

congrats on the new bike! enjoy the weekend ;)
trubadour

114 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling