Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

Moderator: ranlee

Re: Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Postby trubadour » 29 Mar 2012, 19:42

I must say PaddyB's OCD has really turned up some interesting stuff. Not least that Speedone. Now there's a bike.
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

Postby PaddyB » 29 Mar 2012, 20:40

trubadour wrote:I must say PaddyB's OCD has really turned up some interesting stuff. Not least that Speedone. Now there's a bike.

Well I went to a dealer and they called in on the T-25. Apparently only 48 and 50cm sizes are available in the 'wan. Typical.

Too bad cause the price is awesome for the spec - the Apex spec'd bike lists at 40,000 so lets say 35,000.

I emailed Speedone to see whats up.

Oh and the dealer I went to also carries Gios bikes, which also are only available in Midget Sizes.

I'm really starting to realize that Taiwan bike distributors are a rare breed of stingy, conservative, service-shirking bastids.

I also dug up another bike today, this one a cool, Dia-Compe branded retro-tourer

http://www.81496.com/jouhou/rundnar/yos ... o2012.html

The spec on the complete bike is nothing to write home about but you can order it frame only and the laoban said I could build up a Tiagra triple with bar-ends in the 30-40,000 range.

Yes, there is lots of stuff out there the only question is can I get that stuff in my size. The crapshoot continues! :discodance:
PaddyB
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby trubadour » 29 Mar 2012, 21:45

trubadour

Postby PaddyB » 29 Mar 2012, 23:32

Ahh nice catch. Never would have thought a Defy would have rack mounts. And a triple too! :thumbsup:

Giant's compact geometry perplexes me though so I'd have to sit on it to figure out if it fits. The M might be too small and there are no M/L.

The 54.5cm toptube seems ok - I sat on a Garneau race bike today with a similar length top tube and the salesman said it was a little too small but not bad. Funny story, that - he was swearing that the LGS-CT size 54's toptube of 55cm was "way too big" so I said let me sit on your biggest road bike. I tried the aforementioned race bike - lo and behold I do need a bigger frame.

But anyway, the Defy M seat tube is only 50 (not sure how they measure it) so I think I might have a lot of seatpost/drop going on.

But since there are two Giant shops for every square km of Taiwan its not like its hard to go take a lookie...
PaddyB

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby trubadour » 30 Mar 2012, 08:13

have you been to 185 yet?
trubadour

Postby PaddyB » 30 Mar 2012, 15:43

No I havent been to 185 yet. I might be able to get down there in a week or two. Looks like a cool place.

Oh and Speedone got back to me. There was a miscommunication at the dealer (who only speaks Chinese, of which I speak very little). They can make me a 54 or 55cm T-25 if I'm willing to wait about two months. They also have a 56cm available now but I'm not sure if thats too big or not. I'm also going to the Speedone dealer in Banqiao tonight since thats the closest one to my house. Maybe I can work something out there.

Might be worth the wait!

Still gonna check out that Defy 1 as well and my fiancee wants to get a Defy 3 now! :bravo:
PaddyB

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Steviebike » 30 Mar 2012, 17:47

The Giant Defy is bang for the buck.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-giant-defy-1-12-45849

I had a look at one late last year at my local Giant shop. It would be a very high contender for me too, if I needed a reasonably priced road bike.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Steviebike

Postby PaddyB » 31 Mar 2012, 14:45

I'm still primarily interested in the T-25 but Speedone also makes a steel 29er with rack eyelets and disc brakes. Would make an awesome bike for exploring those nasty access roads I was looking at in my other thread! :ponder:

http://www.speedonebike.com/_en/product ... .php?id=63

What a cool brand!

Anyway, they are checking in on their tubing stocks to see how long it would take to get me a 54cm T-25 and I'm going to go get one more fit to see if the 56cm that is in stock will fit me (but I feel like 56cm might be one size too big, seems like 5'11 guys ride 56 mostly and I'm 5'10 or a hair under).

Can anyone recommend a bike shop(s) in Taipei or Xinbei that has a lot of road bikes on the floor so I can sit on some bikes and get a better feel for different geometries?
PaddyB

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby trubadour » 01 Apr 2012, 22:20

nope..

it's mainly fit u need to worry about.

geometry is accessible intellectually anyway. it's more about riding style. how and how far, etc.

my rule of thumb is that the steeper the angle of the top tube (high at the stem, lower at the seat post) the more agile = better maneuverability (acceleration, turning, climbing, descending); the flatter = the more stable (the flatter = the more "stable" or relaxing, better for much longer distances). So, a good touring bike would have a flatter top tube and a racer more angled. You can see this in a comparison between that rather nice touring bike you posted and a TCR.

i guess you live in Taipei...but i heard 185 (Taichung) let you buy and return the next day.. if you can't you are just going to have to go on realistic knowledge of your intentions and riding style, (and with getting the best fit for your size).

I'm afraid you might have to be prepared to let yourself down easily after all this!
trubadour

Postby PaddyB » 07 Apr 2012, 22:42

I learned a lot today, some of which might interest some of you guys.

First we stopped by 185 and while they didnt have much as far as what I was looking for, I got some good fit help.

They have an adjustable fitting frame on the second floor and I found out that a 54 seat tube and 55 top tube fits pretty nice. I also learned that if I got a 56 I'd pretty much have to slam it down to the top tube.

Good thing I didnt order that Masi 56 I was thinking about.

One bike that, despite not at all being what I'm looking for, interested me was a 2009 Cannondale Six Carbon 5 (105 w/ Ultegra rear), 54cm size. I sat on it and pedalled for awhile and it was pretty comfortable. It was also only 40,000 which doesnt seem bad for a 'dale in Taiwan. They also had a 52. They have 4 or 5 Cannondale road bikes going for 50% off if anyone is interested.

Then I stopped into Famous Bikes to pursue the Speedone T-25 further. Looks like its a 3 month wait if I want that one. I also found out that because of the brakes, the max tire size tire I can put on it is 28c, pretty much like any racing bike. Kinda weird for a touring bike but I think 28c is wide enough for most situations...I'm going to decide whether or not to order one this week.

I also learned that Speedone is willing to customize the CX-8. They can put rack eyelets on the seatstays, you can change the gruppo and there are actually two models (one with steel fork and disc brakes, one with cantis and carbon fork). But alas, being made of Reynolds 853, it would still cost me 47,000 with Apex so I think it's just too far out of my budget. The T-25 is pushing it bad enough. Still, I thought I'd pass on the info in case any of you guys fancied one.

And finally, I stopped by a Giant Dealer and sat on a 2012 Defy 1. Strangely enough, the 50cm size M seemed to fit quite nicely. However, looks like there are no more 2011's (the ones with the rack eyelets) in size M. :(

So I think for now its down to the Speedone T-25 or Louis Garneau LGS-CT (unless I want to buy something without rack eyelets).
PaddyB

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Cycling