Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

Re: Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Postby PaddyB » 11 May 2012, 15:41

plasmatron wrote:Hard to say without seeing you on the bike, but for a non sloping TT geometry a short seat post extension is normal, especially for riders in between sizes. If it works for you, no worries.

Braking will improve a little as the pads and brake tracks bed in, but Canti brakes are 'speed modulators' more than anything, which is just what you want in the low traction world of CX racing. If you want road stopping power, and you probably do with your nipper on board, ask your LBS to order you a set of these http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?p ... &catid=185 they shouldn't cost anything like the list MSRP and they're designed to work with your canti pivot geometry, road wheel brake tracks and road STI lever pull ratios. If you don't want to drop that kind of cash, you could try some good koolstop or swissstop pads as a stop gap solution, OEM pads are by and large rubbish outside of flagship level systems.

I keep having second thoughts about getting the M size, mainly due to the fact that I can't raise the seat much higher than the bars. It just makes me feel, despite the fact that the reach is really nice and standover is adequate (it's pretty snug but I can jump up and down over the top tube barefoot without getting any pressure :noway: ) that the bike might be too small. Also, what If I decide I want more drop to get more aero? I really don't think I can get the seat more than a very slight bit over the bars. What if I decided I want to look all studly and virile with a jacked up seat post? :wink: Just worrying that I pigeon-holed myself into a far narrower set of fit/use options by getting the absolute biggest bike that still fits.

It is super comfortable when I ride it...but who knows how I will feel a few hundred kms later. Is there such a thing as being too upright?

Unless my fiancee misunderstood something, the laoban said I can return it within the week if there is no damage/signs of wear. I keep wondering if I should take it back and get the S/53.

I thought the OCD is supposed to stop once I bought a bike!
PaddyB
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
14 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 12 May 2012, 19:00

your stem probably has spacers - remove them to drop the bars
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 13 May 2012, 09:35

trubadour wrote:your stem probably has spacers - remove them to drop the bars

Yeah, it looks like it does. Also, I raised the seat another 3cm. I was getting too much weight on my hands and they would hurt right away. Now my legs are almost extended on the down stroke but the the pain in the hands is gone. I also flipped up the bars so the hoods are a bit more vertical (like what you see on a lot of touring bikes).

I rode it for almost 2 hours yesterday and had no pain anywhere. I think the fit is just about perfect now. I'm going to take it into a Giant dealer in Taipei that speaks better English for some tips and fine-tuning.
PaddyB

ORIGINAL POSTER
14 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby circleback » 14 May 2012, 14:36

Try flipping the stem. You can also get an adjustable stem to dial in your comfort. Then purchase a stem with the desired length and angle.
Forumosan avatar
circleback
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 14 May 2012, 15:14

adjustable stems suck - just get different stems. They are dirt cheap. seems like the OP has solved the problem anyway. Oh no, wait this is Paddy'OCD'B we're talking about. Second thoughts, get an adjustable stem. In fact get two, one medium one small. And a large one.
trubadour

114 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 14 May 2012, 21:47

trubadour wrote:adjustable stems suck - just get different stems. They are dirt cheap. seems like the OP has solved the problem anyway. Oh no, wait this is Paddy'OCD'B we're talking about. Second thoughts, get an adjustable stem. In fact get two, one medium one small. And a large one.

:raspberry:

Actually the eye of my OCD storm has moved on to tires. The stock Kenda knobbies are like velcro. They must go!

I'm still looking at those 700x32 gatorskins since a lot of people seem so keen on them but there are plenty of other interesting options!

Such as these, also Conti's...

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/w ... ct_en.html

Too burly? I've read they have pretty low rolling resistance though...

Also, Panaracer Paselas seem to have a big following

http://www.panaracer.com/urban.php

And finally, I found some 700x35c Schwalbe Marathon Racers on ruten that look like they might work...

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21011038912042

Choices! Choices!
PaddyB

ORIGINAL POSTER
14 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 14 May 2012, 22:38

Paneracer's Paselas might look a little old school on your bike? If you care about that. The newer Ribmo PT looks a good choice.

You can't go wrong with any of them really.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 16 May 2012, 21:18

unless it has knobs, you won't really notice much difference in rolling resistance unless you go really fast...

Sport contact for hard roads and gravel or Travel contact if you go anywhere near sand. you'd be surprised what you can safely travel through without any knobs at all.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

184 Recommends(s)
238 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 16 May 2012, 21:37

urodacus wrote:unless it has knobs, you won't really notice much difference in rolling resistance unless you go really fast...

Sport contact for hard roads and gravel or Travel contact if you go anywhere near sand. you'd be surprised what you can safely travel through without any knobs at all.

Yeah, I'm thinking about the Travel Contacts for sure. Those would be real nice and stable, especially with the child seat. But they are 37c and seem effing heavy. I put on a light, a pump and 2 water bottles and the bike is feeling heavier already! I still want to put a rack and fenders on too. Or am I stupid to be worrying about an extra half kilo or so on a touring/commuting setup thats already got to be nearing 12kg with all my crap on it?

Here's another option - I was reading Sheldon Brown's article on tires again and came across an idea that might be good for me - a treaded tire up front and a slick in back. His point was that rolling resistance is more of an issue on the rear tire thats supporting most of the rider and that sliding on loose terrain is more dangerous up front.

So I was thinking I might put a Sport Contact or Gatorskin in back and then a Top Contact up front. 32c's. I think that would be a great balance between speed and safety. $3500 with shipping on wiggle...

What do you guys think of that?
PaddyB

ORIGINAL POSTER
14 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 16 May 2012, 22:44

Slicks are fine. Don't worry. It's more about psi and volume casings... I've ridden 23c SLICK off-road, you know for fun, fairly easy single track with light mud. Got a puncture, but no grip issues.

MTB riding in wet rocky rooty muddy conditions sure a few knobbly bits will help.

A nice set of 35c slick tyres will be great :thumbsup:
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling