Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

Re: Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Postby urodacus » 17 May 2012, 07:21

Most touring tires tend to be, as you put it, 'effin heavy', as they're built like a tank to withstand punctures and to have a long, long tread life.

and yes, worrying about another few hundred grams in a build with a spare seat and a kid is a bit over the top.

Just ride, man.

Slicks front and back are fine. I have often taken my race bike many many miles through rough gravel roads in the hills here on 21 mm slicks and lived to tell the tale. My wheels survive too, though the tires do get scuffed up a bit (Vittoria Evo CX tubulars). With sport contacts front and back you'll be fine, or with a tire with slightly knobby edges on the front if you go anywhere that's sandy or muddy or rooty (not the place to ride with a kid)...
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

222 Recommends(s)
275 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 19 May 2012, 18:03

urodacus wrote:Most touring tires tend to be, as you put it, 'effin heavy', as they're built like a tank to withstand punctures and to have a long, long tread life.

and yes, worrying about another few hundred grams in a build with a spare seat and a kid is a bit over the top.

Just ride, man.

Slicks front and back are fine. I have often taken my race bike many many miles through rough gravel roads in the hills here on 21 mm slicks and lived to tell the tale. My wheels survive too, though the tires do get scuffed up a bit (Vittoria Evo CX tubulars). With sport contacts front and back you'll be fine, or with a tire with slightly knobby edges on the front if you go anywhere that's sandy or muddy or rooty (not the place to ride with a kid)...

Well, I still don't know exactly what kind of conditions I'll be getting into. My main priorities are safety and less rolling resistance.

I did 50k on the bike trails this morning and felt like those knobbies were going to kill me riding back home against a headwind.

Maybe I should just get the Travel Contacts and have something that is pretty decent for everything. They will doubtless be lighter and roll better than the knobbies, at the very least.
PaddyB
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 21 May 2012, 12:56

I did my first proper set of nasty hills last night. I found the lowest gear to be a bit higher than I expected. On one particularly steep part, my front wheel was actually starting to pop off the ground.

My question is this - do I need to find a way to get lower gearing in order to be able to get up those kind of hills or am I somehow overcompensating for my legs by pulling up on the handlebars? It didn't seem like the latter as I was keeping the same posture but who knows. This only happened on one very nasty stretch so I didn't have a chance to try it again.

Never had this happen on a MTB so I'm curious if it's just the road bike gearing...
PaddyB

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 21 May 2012, 13:10

There's a reason most of the fancy road riders are confined to the provincial highways and the like...

Where were you riding (so I can have an idea of the grade)
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 21 May 2012, 13:44

Feiren wrote:There's a reason most of the fancy road riders are confined to the provincial highways and the like...

Where were you riding (so I can have an idea of the grade)

Maobu Rd in Sanxia. It's your typical little hill country road - steep and narrow.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=maobu+Rd+ ... 7&t=m&z=14
PaddyB

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 21 May 2012, 17:18

PaddyB wrote:I did my first proper set of nasty hills last night. I found the lowest gear to be a bit higher than I expected. On one particularly steep part, my front wheel was actually starting to pop off the ground.

My question is this - do I need to find a way to get lower gearing in order to be able to get up those kind of hills or am I somehow overcompensating for my legs by pulling up on the handlebars? It didn't seem like the latter as I was keeping the same posture but who knows. This only happened on one very nasty stretch so I didn't have a chance to try it again.

Never had this happen on a MTB so I'm curious if it's just the road bike gearing...

I've been studying this recently too: Lowest gear in standard road bike gearing just isn't as low as MTB's. This means that on some of Taiwan's steeper roads there'll be occasions when you'll really have to grit your teeth and push hard with your legs. Short stretches of 12% to 15% gradient are not that uncommon in some areas here so you need strong legs and lungs to get up them. Standard compact gearing means your lowest climbing combo is a 34 cog gear in front and a 25 cog gear in back. I'm curious myself how much easier a 28 or 29 option would be....People who ride road bikes in hellishly hilly areas have been known to use MTB type set ups on a road bike as a solution.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

30 Recommends(s)
114 Recognized(s)

Postby circleback » 21 May 2012, 18:44

I'm curious myself how much easier a 28 or 29 option would be....People who ride road bikes in hellishly hilly areas have been known to use MTB type set ups on a road bike as a solution.

I'd like to know what people's experience with this too. Maybe having a 105 or Ultegra compact setup then realizing they need a lower gear. What was done, etc.? I suspect though it's highly subjective according to how strong and experienced the rider is.

On that note though SRAM Apex's WiFli setup seems pretty promising for some of Taiwan's steep climbs. Lowest is 34 in front and I believe 32 in the rear.
Forumosan avatar
circleback
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 21 May 2012, 22:29

the geometry on a road bike is shorter than a mountain bike, and the front end is always MUCH lighter than on a MTB, so even with some higher gearing, you're more capable of pulling the front wheel off the ground.

That's when you need to stand and lean forwards and keep your head over the front hub, to keep the front wheel on the ground even though you're cranking out more usable power than on any MTB (road bikes being lighter than equivalent MTBs, more usable power for climbing or sprinting). in the steep stuff, you really need to move your weight around on the bike, regardless of whether its an MTB or a road bike.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

222 Recommends(s)
275 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 03 Jun 2012, 15:17

I went back to that Merida store on Ruiguang road to load up on some clothes and accessories and what did I notice? That Cyclocross 4D they have is a 55cm and it *does* in fact have rack eyelets, unlike the pictures on the web! :doh:105 and disc brakes! $35,000 sticker price! :doh:

Apparently it's export only and they can only order them at the beginning of the model year. I'm kind of glad I didn't spend that much on my bike, and I like having a triple (even if it's a crappy one) but damn what a cool bike. Beats the hell out of a Cross-Check for the same price (unless comfort is your main priority). Someone should snatch it up!
PaddyB

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby samsonisfurry » 02 Dec 2012, 19:35

Hey Paddy - how is that TCX treating you? Have you used panniers? Decent heel clearance? I'm sorting through many of the same options you considered.

- Surly
- Salsa
- Bianchi
- Jamis

All hard to find in my size and/or budget.

Found this beauty at 7-park, but it's too small for me.

http://www.7park.com.tw/showroom/view.php?C=5526969

Cheers,

M
samsonisfurry
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cycling