Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

Re: Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Postby PaddyB » 29 Feb 2012, 21:51

So I just found out the LGS-CT is out of stock and a special order would take 3+ months so scratch that one off the list for now as well.

It's a drag waiting for these smaller companies to roll out some bikes in my size. :fume: Does this happen every year?

No wonder Giant and Merida do so well.

That Giant TCX-2 in my size down at the LBS is looking mighty tempting right about now!
PaddyB
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
 
Posts: 539
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 25 Feb 2008, 23:26
Location: Ye Olde Sanxia Towne
7 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Postby circleback » 02 Mar 2012, 03:33

If you go to Neihu on Reiguang Rd. There are a few bike shops right next to each other. I suppose it would be the part of Reiguang Rd. closer to Mingchuan. There is a nice, large Merida store there which stock some of their CX models. I test rode one that seemed pretty solid. All aluminum with 105 components and disc brakes. I believe they have a model with Tiagra but with canti brakes that is somewhat cheaper. Down the street towards Dazhi on the south side of the road there is a Specialized shop. They have some sweet CX models too. I believe its called the Tricross or something like that. I forget what the component set up was.
Forumosan avatar
circleback
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 363
Joined: 11 Dec 2005, 23:18
Location: Taipei
3 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Postby PaddyB » 02 Mar 2012, 13:04

circleback wrote:If you go to Neihu on Reiguang Rd. There are a few bike shops right next to each other. I suppose it would be the part of Reiguang Rd. closer to Mingchuan. There is a nice, large Merida store there which stock some of their CX models. I test rode one that seemed pretty solid. All aluminum with 105 components and disc brakes. I believe they have a model with Tiagra but with canti brakes that is somewhat cheaper. Down the street towards Dazhi on the south side of the road there is a Specialized shop. They have some sweet CX models too. I believe its called the Tricross or something like that. I forget what the component set up was.


Yeah I hit up the Ruiguang zone a few weeks ago. Specialized had a 2011 Tricross for under 30 but it was way too small. Cant remember if it was a Sport or just regular Tricross. I get the impression that Specialized is a bit spendy in Taiwan compared to Giant, Masi and Garneau.

And yeah I saw that Merida too. Seems like the price was nice for the 105-comp. Seems like it was a 2011 though and not in my size. I don't remember if it had rack mounts either (I need rear rack mounts at the very least, front would be nice too)I might have to go check out Merida again and see if I can order one if I decide to upgrade to something in the "a bit over 30k" price range. I don't remember seeing any other CX bike or one with Tiagra. When were you last in there?

Oh and does anyone know what model of Bianchi this is? It kind of looks like a Volpe done up for CX. It's got some nice kit on it though!

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21106199060960
PaddyB
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
 
Posts: 539
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 25 Feb 2008, 23:26
Location: Ye Olde Sanxia Towne
7 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Postby PaddyB » 05 Mar 2012, 20:34

I just found a great deal on a 2011 Masi Speciale Randonneur 53cm.

Basically the touring version of the CX. Longer head tube, BB drop, chainstay, wheel base.

I like the more upright position and longer wheel base if I'm going to be spending long days with a child seat on the back.

I also like that it is Tiagra everything and has a triple crank (again a plus with the kiddo onboard).

But I'm a little bit wary of the downtube shifters. Anyone use those before? Seems inconvenient.

The laoban said he could replace them with Tiagra STI levers for 4,000-something. That would be fine but then what do you do with the shifters on the tube? Leave them there? Would this operation mess up the sealing inside the frame?

I think this bike might be a real score but I thought I'd run the shifters issue by you guys before I order it.

Oh and it is positively the most beautiful bike I've looked into so far!
http://bikeways.com.tw/redirect.php?fid=291&tid=18064&goto=nextoldset
PaddyB
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
 
Posts: 539
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 25 Feb 2008, 23:26
Location: Ye Olde Sanxia Towne
7 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Postby the bear » 05 Mar 2012, 21:54

PaddyB wrote:I just found a great deal on a 2011 Masi Speciale Randonneur 53cm.

Basically the touring version of the CX. Longer head tube, BB drop, chainstay, wheel base.

I like the more upright position and longer wheel base if I'm going to be spending long days with a child seat on the back.

I also like that it is Tiagra everything and has a triple crank (again a plus with the kiddo onboard).

But I'm a little bit wary of the downtube shifters. Anyone use those before? Seems inconvenient.

The laoban said he could replace them with Tiagra STI levers for 4,000-something. That would be fine but then what do you do with the shifters on the tube? Leave them there? Would this operation mess up the sealing inside the frame?

I think this bike might be a real score but I thought I'd run the shifters issue by you guys before I order it.

Oh and it is positively the most beautiful bike I've looked into so far!
http://bikeways.com.tw/redirect.php?fid=291&tid=18064&goto=nextoldset


looks sexy........how much?
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 3669
Joined: 14 Jul 2003, 14:45
Location: Taipei City
25 Recommends(s)
86 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Postby PaddyB » 05 Mar 2012, 22:25

the bear wrote:
PaddyB wrote:I just found a great deal on a 2011 Masi Speciale Randonneur 53cm.

Basically the touring version of the CX. Longer head tube, BB drop, chainstay, wheel base.

I like the more upright position and longer wheel base if I'm going to be spending long days with a child seat on the back.

I also like that it is Tiagra everything and has a triple crank (again a plus with the kiddo onboard).

But I'm a little bit wary of the downtube shifters. Anyone use those before? Seems inconvenient.

The laoban said he could replace them with Tiagra STI levers for 4,000-something. That would be fine but then what do you do with the shifters on the tube? Leave them there? Would this operation mess up the sealing inside the frame?

I think this bike might be a real score but I thought I'd run the shifters issue by you guys before I order it.

Oh and it is positively the most beautiful bike I've looked into so far!
http://bikeways.com.tw/redirect.php?fid=291&tid=18064&goto=nextoldset


looks sexy........how much?


22800 iirc.
PaddyB
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
 
Posts: 539
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 25 Feb 2008, 23:26
Location: Ye Olde Sanxia Towne
7 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Postby trubadour » 06 Mar 2012, 00:44

PaddyB wrote:That Giant TCX-2 in my size down at the LBS is looking mighty tempting right about now!



go for it!
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 12:51
114 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Postby trubadour » 06 Mar 2012, 00:44

trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 12:51
114 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Postby PaddyB » 06 Mar 2012, 07:29



No when I went back last week I saw it was an S. Swore it was an M. Wishful thinking I guess. Too bad, I don't think they sell them in Taiwan anymore (2010 was the last year).

I think I'll place an order for either that Masi Randonneur or the LGS-CT (which will be available late Apr/early May I guess) by Friday.
PaddyB
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
 
Posts: 539
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 25 Feb 2008, 23:26
Location: Ye Olde Sanxia Towne
7 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Getting started in Taiwan: hybrid or full-on trail bike?

Postby trubadour » 06 Mar 2012, 13:22

good luck! :)
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 12:51
114 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

6000

PreviousNext




 
 
 x

Return to Cycling



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 visitor

There are but three events in a man's life: birth, life, and death. He is not conscious of being born, he dies in pain, and he forgets to live -- JEAN DE LA BRUYÈRE