cycle group listings

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

cycle group listings

Postby upandover » 19 Jan 2012, 23:11

Hey

does anyone know a good website or have info on cycle groups in taipei?
or on clubs that arrange day trips and the like

cheers
I'm telling you this because you don't get it, and you think you get it, which isn't the same as actually getting it. Get it? - Masashi Kishimoto

Hello pot. My name is kettle. You're black. - Little Kuriboh

Guard your heart above all else,
for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23
Forumosan avatar
upandover
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recognized(s)

Re: cycle group listings

Postby trubadour » 20 Jan 2012, 00:53

go to LBS
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby upandover » 20 Jan 2012, 08:33

Hi

I did a google search for taiwan LBS cycling, and didn't get any results

What is LBS

thanks
I'm telling you this because you don't get it, and you think you get it, which isn't the same as actually getting it. Get it? - Masashi Kishimoto

Forumosan avatar
upandover

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 20 Jan 2012, 08:58

upandover wrote:Hi

I did a google search for taiwan LBS cycling, and didn't get any results

What is LBS

thanks

LBS = local bike shop

Finding group rides in Taiwan can be problematic but bike shops often organize their own (with often drastic range in abilities). Alternatively get out there and ride and you'll meet other riders who will often welcome you to join their rides.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

27 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby hugachuga » 21 Jan 2012, 23:23

Since moving here for a few months here is what I have found...just from personal experience

Yes you may go to some local bike shops and ask about rides but some of them will be a little apprehensive and intimidated because of the language barrier. The next thing would be liability which I have heard a few times, so its not an official ride but make friends first and then go as a group.

If you have friends that can read chinese or if you do yourself, you can go to mobile01.com forums and look up cycling clubs that way, I have done that and most have been very welcoming.

Depending where you are and what you like to ride you can explore yourself and when you see fellow cyclist just start chatting up with them and the connect that way. Works best this way for me. Just add them on FB or email and then follow them to rides.

Most cyclist will have short training or riding days during the weekdays and weekends will have longer full day rides.

You could always PM me and let me know what type of riding your are into and where you want to ride, we can ride together and I can introduce you to a couple clubs. I am starting new here too so the more the merrier.
Forumosan avatar
hugachuga
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby upandover » 22 Jan 2012, 21:45

thanks, appreciate all the responses

mainly I don't know the routes here, I just want to hook up with some people so I don't end up getting lost for 3 days on a 2 hour ride :help:

or even if you know anywhere on line where people have routes posted, and things like where to stop overnight etc...

Forumosan avatar
upandover

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recognized(s)

Postby maunaloa » 23 Jan 2012, 01:50

routes? you could do alot worse than the riverside bike paths. safer, too.
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 23 Jan 2012, 15:29

maunaloa wrote:routes? you could do alot worse than the riverside bike paths. safer, too.

There's quite a bit of information for Taipei, Taichung, and beyond.

I've written up a number of routes. Thebiking viking has great photos and details of some of these taipei routes.

See michael Turton's View From Taiwan and Drew's Taiwan in Cycles (Taichung focus).

I'm sure that you can join some of these folks on rides if you get in touch.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby dizzyhytes » 05 Feb 2012, 18:34

What level are you and where do you live? There are a lot of cycling/triathlon groups out there, they are either organised by bike shops or by individuals who have got their own group going. Most rides start out in the north, Tianmu or Danshui, and either go over Yangming Shan, or around it to Jinshan on the north coast. Tianmu folk are often expats, while I've found that my local contacts tend to start around Danshui. Not sure why there's such a distinction. maybe coincidence.

The groups I've ridden with, hardcore or not, are all very welcoming, but it's a lot of pressure to keep up at speed for 100km when you are not fit like me!

I have only been 5 or 6 times in the past 5 months since I arrived because the rides start early and I don't have a car so I have to get there by MRT. I am not a morning person :) so a 7am start would mean I get up at 530 am to reach Tianmu. Some people start at 5 or 6am! I live in Guting and would love to find a few rides starting from this area.

I am out of shape and really want to get back into it so if you are around my area, please contact me...

Hope this helps.
dizzyhytes
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby CTaitung » 07 Feb 2012, 13:46

From Guting MRT station, take Roosevelt south down to Shi-Da Road 師大路, take a right turn to go towards the river. When you hit Tingzhou Road 汀州路 (the next light actually), there's a gas station on the left and a Hakka Culture Center across Tingzhou Road from the gas station. There's a bridge (a very nice bridge in fact, and the center has a nice park) from that Hakka Culture Center that takes you over the river-side road and onto the river bike path there. Left turn takes you to Hsin-tien (Xindian), right turn takes you on a long ride to Danshui.
Bears always roam.
CTaitung
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Cycling