Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Bike deaths

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

Re: Bike deaths

Postby Battery9 » 06 Feb 2012, 19:11

I always ride the infamous Route 9 on my scooter from Xindian to Pinglin at least once a month. I often see scooters passing cars on a bend, in the bike lane. I can't imagine what would happen if a biker was there.
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

27 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 07 Feb 2012, 03:53

Nuit wrote:Sad news. Andrew Kuebrich, 24 - an American cyclist, was killed by a truck in Kending over CNY. Report doesn't say how the accident happened, so we'll all assume it was the truck driver at fault :neutral:. Doesn't say if he was wearing a helmet or not, or if that would've made any difference.

Why make the assumption at all? I remember not too long ago an expat teacher I had met at On Tap was killed by a taxi driver. Many baying for the taxi drivers head it must have been his fault when in fact the dude ran through a red light into oncoming traffic. The taxi driver wasn't speeding as was "assumed"

We also had people assuming that a young newspaper delivery guy must have been at fault when he was struck and killed by a drunk driver, because we all know they ride willy nilly.

Yes it is sad and tragic that peoples lives come to an abrupt end whatever age they may be.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Nuit » 07 Feb 2012, 09:04

Satellite TV wrote:Why make the assumption at all? I remember not too long ago an expat teacher I had met at On Tap was killed by a taxi driver. Many baying for the taxi drivers head it must have been his fault when in fact the dude ran through a red light into oncoming traffic. The taxi driver wasn't speeding as was "assumed'.

I used :neutral: to try and get across exactly that.

The knee-jerk reaction is to blame the truck-driver, and given the reckless speed at which many of them drive, that's understandable.
But there's also a chance that the cyclist was on a hard & fast training run and made a bad call.

Until a description of the accident surfaces, we won't know either way.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
73 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 07 Feb 2012, 09:28

Nuit wrote:
Satellite TV wrote:Why make the assumption at all? I remember not too long ago an expat teacher I had met at On Tap was killed by a taxi driver. Many baying for the taxi drivers head it must have been his fault when in fact the dude ran through a red light into oncoming traffic. The taxi driver wasn't speeding as was "assumed'.

I used :neutral: to try and get across exactly that.

The knee-jerk reaction is to blame the truck-driver, and given the reckless speed at which many of them drive, that's understandable.
But there's also a chance that the cyclist was on a hard & fast training run and made a bad call.

Until a description of the accident surfaces, we won't know either way.

you need to put it in caps for some people [WARNING SARCASM AHEAD!]
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

28 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby bullard2823 » 07 Feb 2012, 19:02

Andrew was my good friend. I remember when he was telling me about his trip before he left. As to who's at fault, it doesn't matter anymore. For those of you who cycle, please ride with extreme caution, especially on busy roads. It only takes a split second window for something bad to happen. Don't take anything for granted. God bless Andrew and his family.
bullard2823
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recommends(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Cycling