New bike: Are drop bars more dangerous (especially in TW)?

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

Re: New bike: Are drop bars more dangerous (especially in TW)?

Postby antarcticbeech » 13 Feb 2012, 16:48

Wookiee wrote:However, I can tell you that it was a great relief to my hands when I went to a road bike with drop bars, especially on long rides.

I completely agree. Thinking about buying another bike for this exact reason.
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

162 Recommends(s)
161 Recognized(s)

Postby circleback » 13 Feb 2012, 16:56

Having a variety of hand positions is really important if you are going to be on it for longer rides. If you get a flat bar, you can get bar ends to vary your position. But it's not enough really.

There are also touring handlebars, which have quite a variety of hand positions too. I think they call them butterfly handlebars here.
Forumosan avatar
circleback
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Hobbes » 14 Feb 2012, 09:18

Great -- this is very helpful. One of my many flaws is a tendency to over-think things like this, and the point about "just getting out there" is well taken. But I also know that I would be likely to give myself a hard time later if I didn't at least do a little research and make the best decision I could. Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
-H
Forumosan avatar
Hobbes
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recognized(s)

Postby PaddyB » 14 Feb 2012, 14:01

Havent got a bike yet, but I'll share my research with you -

A lot of dealers (about half of them) I've talked to have tried to steer me away from a drop-bar bike when I tell them I want to put a child seat on it. They say it's too unstable. Others say it will work fine, you just need to practice a bit.

I've exchanged emails with some bloggers in the US who have done it and say it's no problem at all (particularly with the iBert Safe-T front seat and the Co-Pilot Taxi/Limo rear seats) although everyone seems to agree that it's more comfortable and convenient with a flat bar bike.

Given some of the countless pathetic and avoidable low speed crashes I frequently witnessed when I lived near the Danshui bike path, I think a lot of people here try to take up biking in adulthood and have no idea what they are doing, thus the dealers' general trepidation when recommending family bikes here (get a small frame, dont get a racing bike, get an ATB etc.)

Anyway, if you do go with a road bike, I'd recommend a seat that sits as low in the back as possible. And most front seats dont work at all - that iBert one is the only one I've seen that works on (some) road bikes. I'm probably going to get the child seat I want first and then pick a bike based on that (although I'm feeling pretty confident that I can use a cyclocross bike for whatever I want).

Hope that helps! I'll let you know what I end up going with (if I get my bike before you do)
PaddyB
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

15 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 14 Feb 2012, 14:13

PaddyB wrote:
Given some of the countless pathetic and avoidable low speed crashes I frequently witnessed when I lived near the Danshui bike path, I think a lot of people here try to take up biking in adulthood and have no idea what they are doing

This is a good point. You can see from the way a lot of adults ride here that they didn't ride bikes as kids. Any kid who rides a bike on a daily basis picks up bike handling skills that last a lifetime (things like anticipating slight rises in elevation by increasing cadence and then standing on the pedals). On the other hand you constantly see people here who have no real idea of how to control a bike and so are a liability once they hit a bike path.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

29 Recommends(s)
106 Recognized(s)

Postby Hobbes » 14 Feb 2012, 16:02

That's a very interesting point about people taking up riding as adults. I'd never really thought about that before. :ponder: I've ridden very rarely since I became an adult, and only on borrowed bikes, but I still feel very comfortable riding. I think you're right, the hundreds (thousands?) of hours my friends and I spent on bicycles when we were kids (no cram schools or the like for us!) probably instilled a lot of habits that I don't think about consciously when I get on a bike -- and a lot of adults here probably don't have that. I'll be interested to hear what you end up settling on, PaddyB!
Forumosan avatar
Hobbes

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 15 Feb 2012, 17:59

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, Hobbes, but just note that one of the reasons dropbars are harder to control is because they are significantly narrower, not just because of their shape, or your lower body position. Incidentally, that's not an arguement for straight bars. The more comments I read the more I think you'd be best getting a CX bike if possible.

Also, I have a set of butterfly bars that I tried once and didn't really like. If anyone here wants then super-cheap, let me know.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

89 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Fox » 15 Feb 2012, 19:43

Since being back in Australia, I bought a new Italian bike. It is much better than the crap Merida bikes I had in Taiwan. Number one: Don't buy a Merida. I broke two frames. I think it was because of my weight and a lot of mountain riding, but all the same. One issue with ram's horn handle bars is that you have to lean forward and drop your head so if you have a bung neck they are a pain in the neck. If you don't have a bung neck then you soon might -- ask Urodacus.

I also got a bike with a spring loaded seat. That is a much better option than rear suspension. It provides plenty of cushioning without losing power. Of course any of these guy will tell you I was the slowest man on the mountain, but from my reckoning at least I was on the mountain. Forget pottering around with the family. That is too dull. Take your camera, a doobie for later and just go for it.
"When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her." Wilde

"I don't know where the sun beams end and the star light begins. It's all a mystery." Flaming Lips

"a man's position here is not ruled so much by what he can earn as by what he can owe and still remain at large." Letters of a Shanghai Griffin

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

The American oligarchy spares no pains in promoting the belief that it does not exist, but the success of its disappearing act depends on equally strenuous efforts on the part of an American public anxious to believe in egalitarian fictions and unwilling to see what is hidden in plain sight.
redbubble
http://www.planetediting.com
Forumosan avatar
Fox
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

63 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby lostinasia » 29 Sep 2014, 08:25

Hobbes wrote:I know many of people here use drop handlebars; do any of you feel like you’d be safer using flat handlebars? Are there other pros/cons to one type of handlebars that I haven’t thought of? Any other tips for me before I decide on a bike and make the purchase?

Hobbes, what did you wind up deciding to do on this? I'm basically trying to decide between flat handlebars and drops, and I was wondering if you did buy drop handlebars, and what the transition was like. (I've spent many years on flat handlebars and found it uncomfortable on long rides; but I've spent almost no time on drop handlebars and currently find them immediately uncomfortable, probably because of a lack of familiarity.)
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

61 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby ranlee » 29 Sep 2014, 09:37

There's so many things I want to respond to and I'm actually a little surprised at Ibis2k12's absence here. I usually just wait for him to post and throw out a "I agree" post. Maybe got lost in the cool ocean breeze he's getting in Yilan these past few days.

I'll respond to the OP's thread question regarding the dangers of cycling since I see that most of the other questions have been answered.

Drop bars more dangerous compared to flat bars? That's the first time I've heard someone actually compare those two and add the "dangerous" word to them. Like many have said, flat bars are more uncomfortable during longs rides, not "less dangerous". That's one of the big differences between the two.

When we talk about danger, we talk about the other cyclists/scooters/cars on the roads. Regardless of where or when you are riding always always be aware of your surroundings. You will hear from both sides of the spectrum in this sub-thread from people hating on all Taiwanese drivers/scooters/cyclists to people that have no had a problem with all three of those groups of people. However, like I said before, the most important thing is, you have to be aware of your surroundings at all times. For example, if you're coming to a turn and want to take it fast, make sure that you make sure there's no one in on-coming traffic. You can be very careful, but the person that didn't check for someone on the other side of the turn won't check and then there's the high possibility of a head on collision.

Another key factor is to make logical decisions, almost everyone on the road (aside from other bikers) out power and out weigh you, there's really no reason you should be trying to overtake them or battle them for the lane.

Good luck with the decision. I myself bought a bike not too long ago and went through lots and lots of research before coming down with a decision. Maybe you and lostinasia can get together for a coffee and discuss your thoughts since you're in the same boat with figuring out what kind of bike you want!
Forumosan avatar
ranlee

11 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cycling