Tri bike in Taiwan

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

Tri bike in Taiwan

Postby baoneer » 10 Apr 2012, 12:03

Has anyone raced on a tri bike in Taiwan? I'm thinking of upgrading my bike and most of my races will be in Taiwan for the foreseeable future. Having raced in Taidong and Kaohsiung where most riders don't follows the drafting rules, I'm thinking a road bike with aerobars would be a safer option. The tri guy in my LBS (Tainan) races on a tri bike but I'm not sure it's the best option for racing in Taiwan. Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.
baoneer
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Tri bike in Taiwan

Postby urodacus » 10 Apr 2012, 12:08

Probably not the safest given the road conditions (and the fact that most guys on try bikes can't actually ride safely alone let alone in a pack).

Don't make it worse for yourself by having to lean forward all the time: you will descend and climb like a triathlete.

Not many races actually check UCI compliance, but there might just come the day that the rules do get enforced and then you can't use the bike.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

182 Recommends(s)
235 Recognized(s)

Re: Tri bike in Taiwan

Postby Steviebike » 12 Apr 2012, 11:16

Best option is 'clip-on' tri-bars. Which would give you the best of both worlds.

By all means if you are, or are getting very good and your results are above average then I would look to getting more aero. The first stop would be to get fitted properly then work from there.

But if you are just enjoying the experience then try something like this: http://www.controltechbikes.com/test/pr ... pro_id=147
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Cycling