A Whole New Perception of Taipei... by Bike

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

Postby Mucha Man » 14 Jul 2008, 13:09

alidarbac wrote:
MotorcycleRider wrote:Which parts are lit up? Last month I wanting to ride, starting from under the Cheng Chung Bridge to the Dadao Chen Wharf, but found that whole section was almost completely dark, even with my dual headlights I could barely see several meters in front of me. There were no lights on the bike path, only on the car/motorcycle road running along the wall.

I agree that that section of the riverside park is way too dark at night. I've nearly run over a couple of stray dogs. It's a lot better north of Dadaocheng and around that Shezi Dao peninsula, so maybe you should try getting to Dadaocheng via the regular roads.

Yes, but that is the only dark part. I think if you stay on the side road just north of the park above the parking lots you can by-pass it.

So after Dadaocheng it is lit all the way up? Good to hear. How is riding around Shezi?
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

851 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 14 Jul 2008, 13:17

oh and dont forget the scenic cemetery hill climb from liuzhangli MRT/chongde Rd.....its a lot of fun at night up there if you aren't creeped out by all the dead people....the road splits to nangang or down to the zoo. alternatively just turn around and barrel down the hill....
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

30 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 14 Jul 2008, 14:03

the bear wrote:oh and dont forget the scenic cemetery hill climb from liuzhangli MRT/chongde Rd.....its a lot of fun at night up there if you aren't creeped out by all the dead people....the road splits to nangang or down to the zoo. alternatively just turn around and barrel down the hill....

Chongde STREET!!!!
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

96 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 14 Jul 2008, 14:07

the stray dogs are worse in the cemetery after dark, and the later it gets, the more brazen they are. be careful there after 9pm.

and the idiots who feed them think they are doing a Buddhist good deed. better by far would be to get rid of the damn things. even CNR as long as they don't keep feeding them. bastards. I would love to sue them for my serious crash last year that put me out of action for months.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

222 Recommends(s)
275 Recognized(s)

Postby MotorcycleRider » 14 Jul 2008, 19:44

I was thinking that Chongde Street would be a nice scenic ride at night, but as urodacus said, I am worried about hitting stray dogs. I'm okay with the cemetery part. How's the ride up to Maokong? I remember a few years back I rode my motorcycle up and found a nice road that let back down the other side to Shenkeng, and came out right where the market was. I recall the road was quite scenic, with rows of tea plantations running along it. Anyone been on that route on a bike?
Forumosan avatar
MotorcycleRider
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

Postby Feiren » 14 Jul 2008, 23:40

Your wish is our command. Here is a map of that route.

And The Biking Viking has a detailed writeup.

Here is another Fudekeng-Maokong link-up ride that uses the front side of the same hills to access Maokong via the Zhinan Temple area. I think this ride would be safer at night.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby alidarbac » 15 Jul 2008, 00:34

Muzha Man wrote:So after Dadaocheng it is lit all the way up? Good to hear. How is riding around Shezi?

Shezi is nothing special. It's marginally more lit up than the Zhongzheng-Dadaocheng section, but it has also has a lot fewer sudden zigzags, so it's a lot easier to maintain a decent speed for a while. I typically loop around Shezi and go back. Crossing that bridge there

I've done the cemetery hill ride at night as well. Going uphill was fine, but downhill towards Muzha was completely unlit and you're very likely to run into a dog.
Forumosan avatar
alidarbac
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

4 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby MotorcycleRider » 15 Jul 2008, 00:56

Nice info and write up Feiren. We all need to arrange for a ride sometime.
Forumosan avatar
MotorcycleRider

Postby cfimages » 15 Jul 2008, 07:58

Good info and maps Feiren. Makes me wish I were in Taipei so I could do some of these rides.

If anyone ever decides they want to ride Baguashan and the ridge area between Nantou and Zhanghua let me know - I ride here regularly and have a few nice routes that I've found. Some good climbing, great descents and long, low-traffic flat sections through rice fields and along the coast.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages

233 Recommends(s)
218 Recognized(s)

Postby rousseau » 15 Jul 2008, 09:54

urodacus wrote:the stray dogs are worse in the cemetery after dark, and the later it gets, the more brazen they are. be careful there after 9pm.

and the idiots who feed them think they are doing a Buddhist good deed. better by far would be to get rid of the damn things. even CNR as long as they don't keep feeding them. bastards. I would love to sue them for my serious crash last year that put me out of action for months.

It was dogs that did it? Damn. I've had a couple of close calls with dogs, too, and know a couple of guys who've gone ass over tits when dogs ran out into the road.

Did you post more about this crash anywhere here on Forumosa (or anywhere else)?
Forumosan avatar
rousseau
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cycling