Mountain Biking (off-road) in and around Taipei

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

Re: Mountain Biking (off-road) in and around Taipei

Postby RoelC » 28 Jul 2010, 08:47

Interesting, sounds like a fun trail.
Too bad I'm on home leave the coming weeks...
RoelC
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby Wookiee » 28 Jul 2010, 08:54

GC Rider wrote:Ok, I've uploaded a few pics on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48270289@N04/

I hope this works.

Derek, I've emailed you.

Cool pics. Upload some more, if you will. I'd love to see some more of the trail.
--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
Forumosan avatar
Wookiee
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby GC Rider » 29 Jul 2010, 10:41

Cool pics. Upload some more, if you will. I'd love to see some more of the trail.

Thanks Wookie, I didn't take too many pics this time as we didn't spend that much time on the actual trail. But I will definitely bring back more pics of the trail next time I go (which should be in about ten days).
GC Rider
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby Incubus » 29 Jul 2010, 14:59

GC Rider wrote: If I chose your clockwise variant, how long would it take from Taipei to get to the trailhead in Jiaoxi? How's the traffic on that road (better or worse than the Xindian to Wulai road?) In any event it would be a whole-day trip at least which currently is not an option for me. But I might consider it for the future.

The clockwise loop also begins and ends in Xindian. Instead of making a right and taking Xinwu (Xindian-Wulai) Rd to Wulai, you continue to go straight and stay on Rt. 9, which will eventually lead to Jiaoxi/Yilan. It's a wider road than Xinwu and the traffic is a bit heavier (quite a few big motorcycles on weekends), but it should be pretty pleasant if you go on a weekday.

We left Xindian MRT at around noon and arrived in Jiaoxi just before dark (sixish), but that's riding at a very leisurely pace, stopping for lunch at a small restaurant near the highest point (elevation ~500m) and making a stop at the famous ice cream factory in Pinglin. The turnoff for the Running Horse Trail is at kilometer mark 59. This trail alone is worth the clockwise approach, and it dumps you right outside Jiaoxi. I've heard about people completing the loop in one day, leaving at the crack of dawn and arriving in Taipei in the dark. But you've got to be in top shape and know your way. I'd still recommend spending the night in Jiaoxi, where you can take a dip in a hot spring at the end of the day. Good luck.
Incubus
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

12 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Postby GC Rider » 02 Aug 2010, 17:51

Incubus wrote:
GC Rider wrote: If I chose your clockwise variant, how long would it take from Taipei to get to the trailhead in Jiaoxi? How's the traffic on that road (better or worse than the Xindian to Wulai road?) In any event it would be a whole-day trip at least which currently is not an option for me. But I might consider it for the future.

The clockwise loop also begins and ends in Xindian. Instead of making a right and taking Xinwu (Xindian-Wulai) Rd to Wulai, you continue to go straight and stay on Rt. 9, which will eventually lead to Jiaoxi/Yilan. It's a wider road than Xinwu and the traffic is a bit heavier (quite a few big motorcycles on weekends), but it should be pretty pleasant if you go on a weekday.

We left Xindian MRT at around noon and arrived in Jiaoxi just before dark (sixish), but that's riding at a very leisurely pace, stopping for lunch at a small restaurant near the highest point (elevation ~500m) and making a stop at the famous ice cream factory in Pinglin. The turnoff for the Running Horse Trail is at kilometer mark 59. This trail alone is worth the clockwise approach, and it dumps you right outside Jiaoxi. I've heard about people completing the loop in one day, leaving at the crack of dawn and arriving in Taipei in the dark. But you've got to be in top shape and know your way. I'd still recommend spending the night in Jiaoxi, where you can take a dip in a hot spring at the end of the day. Good luck.

Thanks, Incubus. I would love to give that a try. But for starters I will just be riding the counter-clockwise direction and see how far I can get into the Tonghou Trail, then turn around before it gets too dark. Anyone here up for it? If the weather is fine, I'll go on 8/8 morning starting from Xindian.
GC Rider

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby greenmark » 05 Aug 2010, 18:24

Hi GC - if you tell us what time you want to go then I will see if I can make it. I'd like to dust off my MTB as it hasn't yet seen any trails since I moved here a year ago.

Weather is set to be hot and sunny.
greenmark
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

4 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby GC Rider » 06 Aug 2010, 09:58

greenmark wrote:Hi GC - if you tell us what time you want to go then I will see if I can make it. I'd like to dust off my MTB as it hasn't yet seen any trails since I moved here a year ago.

Hi Greenmark, 2dcurb and I will ride on Saturday (ie tomorrow), but I might actually go on both days cuz another biking buddy just told me he can only do Sunday (I might try the clockwise route on Sunday then for variation). If you want to join on either day, I plan to set off at 7:00 AM from Xindian MRT station. You can PM me for details.
GC Rider

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby alecinwonderland » 06 Aug 2010, 12:25

GC Rider wrote:
greenmark wrote:Hi GC - if you tell us what time you want to go then I will see if I can make it. I'd like to dust off my MTB as it hasn't yet seen any trails since I moved here a year ago.

Hi Greenmark, 2dcurb and I will ride on Saturday (ie tomorrow), but I might actually go on both days cuz another biking buddy just told me he can only do Sunday (I might try the clockwise route on Sunday then for variation). If you want to join on either day, I plan to set off at 7:00 AM from Xindian MRT station. You can PM me for details.

Can I come too? I could do with the training. I just signed up for that torture mountain trip on Sept 5th. Are you guys riding hardtails?
"PC games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
alecinwonderland
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby GC Rider » 06 Aug 2010, 13:08

alecinwonderland wrote:
GC Rider wrote:

Can I come too? I could do with the training. I just signed up for that torture mountain trip on Sept 5th. Are you guys riding hardtails?

Sure, let's meet tomorrow at Xindian MRT. I'm riding an old rigid MTB.
GC Rider

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby GC Rider » 06 Aug 2010, 13:23

Incubus, as I'm now considering making the clockwise tour on Sunday, can you tell me how technical that route is, especially the Paoma Trail. I currently don't have fat knobbies on my MTB (and no suspension either). I also heard there's a long and steep uphill section where you need to push all the way. Can you give me an idea where I would encounter that section (in the clockwise direction) and how long it would take to overcome it? Thanks.
GC Rider

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cycling