Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Training Challenge

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

Re: Training Challenge

Postby the bear » 11 Dec 2009, 07:19

Bikedan wrote:why would you want to mash the pedals in a sprint? In my point of view, sprinting is still about fluid pedal stroke and at the end of a sprint, if executed properly, you will be starting to spin out. High cadences in sprints need good control of your pedal stroke and mashing the pedals will not help that.

Cycling shoes and pedals help train a more efficient pedal stroke - however, it still takes alot of practice and it is still very difficult to master a perfect pedal stroke with clip-ins - a large percentage of riders still have a dead spot near the very top of the stroke and this becomes more pronounced when fatigued. When you are doing long distances on a bike, pedaling efficiency is important and if you can spin at higher cadences you will conserve your legs for longer.

newbies love to mash...its just the way it is.

you is right of course but sometimes its ok to have fun on the bike too. we aren't all trying to win olympic gold after all. :cool:
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

27 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby Bikedan » 11 Dec 2009, 08:52

Haha - spinning is more fun than mashing :) no difference if you are just in it for fun or going for gold.

Its just a bad habit to pick up when you are starting out and can be difficult to erase later. People are free to choose any style of pedaling they wish. Just know that mashing can potentially lead to knee problems and it is very energy consuming!
Bikedan
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby irishstu » 14 Dec 2009, 15:33

Well I got finished respraying and rebuilding my beater, and took it up Chongde St on Sunday (what a lovely day).

At first this was just going to be a test ride to make sure I'd set up the bike right, but as I got to the start of the climb, I though, "Bugger it, I'll just time myself anyway."

I probably put in about 90% as much effort as I did last time on the monster bike, but I managed to shave over a minute and a half off my best time anyway.

Here's the beater:

And here's the clock, stopped at 13:42:

"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

62 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 14 Dec 2009, 15:54

irishstu wrote:Well I got finished respraying and rebuilding my beater, and took it up Chongde St on Sunday (what a lovely day).

At first this was just going to be a test ride to make sure I'd set up the bike right, but as I got to the start of the climb, I though, "Bugger it, I'll just time myself anyway."

I probably put in about 90% as much effort as I did last time on the monster bike, but I managed to shave over a minute and a half off my best time anyway.

Here's the beater:

hmm 3 seconds better than my official best time. I was set to break the magic 13 minute barrier last Wednesday but tragically got stuck behind a large blue truck on the run in to the finish line. :boo-hoo:
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear

27 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 14 Dec 2009, 15:56

the bear wrote:
irishstu wrote:Well I got finished respraying and rebuilding my beater, and took it up Chongde St on Sunday (what a lovely day).

Here's the beater:

hmm 3 seconds better than my official best time. I was set to break the magic 13 minute barrier last Wednesday but tragically got stuck behind a large blue truck on the run in to the finish line. :boo-hoo:

Interesting. We should get together and try going up together. I'm sure we would both get better times trying to pretend it wasn't killing us.

Getting stuck behind a truck is a bugger. Sorry.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

62 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Re: Training Challenge -Revised

Postby Bikedan » 22 Dec 2009, 22:05

Today I did Shooters Hill for the 2nd time. This time I ensured I paced well. I also did the 4km climb twice with a 7min recovery between each climb.

1st climb - 12.02 - average power 373 watts - 19.3km/h avg
2nd climb - 12.23 - average power 353 watts - 18.7km/h avg

I came very close to breaking the magical 12min barrier! So I'll try again in a week or two. The second time up saw a loss of 20 watts in power which equated to a 21 sec loss. Second climb was slower due to first climb perhaps done a little too quickly.

Here's the new challenge - time yourself up Shooters Hill the first time and then try to achieve a second time within 20 seconds or so. This is good training for building up your tolerance for hard efforts! If your best time is 14mins for example, then your second ride up should be about 14.20 or if you can do it, do two 14min climbs! Requires focus and perfect pacing :)

Let us know how you get on.
Bikedan

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Bicyclesidewalk » 27 Dec 2009, 19:23

Second climb up Shooter's Climb -

Today I arrived at the top with a time of 15.02.

Rode in from Danshui - if anyone here rides/lives in the Danshui, Sanzhi, Shimen area let's link up for a ride.

Garmin link for the ride -
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/21067699

In Danshui there is a similar hill climb - 4.4km 270 meters of climbing - Denggong Rd - can introduce if anyone is interested.
Bicyclesidewalk
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Kea » 27 Dec 2009, 19:46

Bicyclesidewalk wrote:Rode in from Danshui - if anyone here rides/lives in the Danshui, Sanzhi, Shimen area let's link up for a ride.

Garmin link for the ride -
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/21067699

In Danshui there is a similar hill climb - 4.4km 270 meters of climbing - Denggong Rd - can introduce if anyone is interested.

I used to live out there-here is one of my favorite rides:

Kea wrote:here's one you could try, I've done this quite a few times in the past,just over an hour on a mountain bike with road tires, quickest down was 29 minutes. Check out the elevation gain-very steady all the way
http://www.mapmyride.com/route/tw/%25u6 ... 9814864786
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Forumosan avatar
Kea
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby Bikedan » 14 Jan 2010, 13:56

any up-dates from anyone?
Bikedan

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby the bear » 14 Jan 2010, 15:56

Bikedan wrote:any up-dates from anyone?

1st time out on the new Kuota I did 12.52 for the cemetery climb. And that was New Years morning after going to bed at 5 am so I'm sure the 12 minute mark will go on my next attempt.

(you doing this ride to Taichung on Sunday bro?)
Forumosan avatar
the bear

27 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cycling