Tour de France 2010

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

Re: Tour de France 2010

Postby antarcticbeech » 08 Feb 2012, 10:48

the bear wrote:Congratulations to Andy Schleck for his win in the 2010 TDF. It took a while for the results to come in mind..........

Legitimate gravedig. :lol:

I feel sorry for Schleck because it's not a great way to win a tour, without any champagne on the Champs-Elysees and all that.
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 00:35
165 Recommends(s)
170 Recognized(s)



Re: Tour de France 2010

Postby the bear » 08 Feb 2012, 11:10

antarcticbeech wrote:
the bear wrote:Congratulations to Andy Schleck for his win in the 2010 TDF. It took a while for the results to come in mind..........

Legitimate gravedig. :lol:

I feel sorry for Schleck because it's not a great way to win a tour, without any champagne on the Champs-Elysees and all that.


Still with Dopador out of the way for this year surely it's Andy's turn. Mind you it's a shame because doped or not Contador is a beautiful cyclist to watch on those hill climbs.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 3895
Joined: 14 Jul 2003, 14:45
Location: Taipei City
30 Recommends(s)
114 Recognized(s)



Re: Tour de France 2010

Postby Steviebike » 08 Feb 2012, 11:45

I find it hard to believe that any top 10 grand tour contender wouldn't use performance drugs. Although until tested and caught I will always presume innocent.

It also doesn't bother me much, that riders use performance drugs. It's been part of the bicycle racing psyche since the beginning, so why would now be any different?

We all look back at heroes like Coppi with admiration, but he openly discussed his doping in an interview.

The Tour de France is like an opera; It has it's heroes, villains, rivals, cheats and sometimes a love interest (podium girls :D)

I can't imagine riding that fast and that long, without needing something?

Long live the Tour! Looking forward to this years race.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
 
Posts: 1504
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 16:26
Location: Taipei
70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)



Re: Tour de France 2010

Postby Satellite TV » 08 Feb 2012, 12:08

the bear wrote:There's a Japanese channel in most pubs satellite packages that has full coverage, but no English.



Sorry to say that is just cleary wrong. Jsports from Sky Perfect Japan broadcasts the TDF in English.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
 
Posts: 7071
Joined: 18 Jun 2004, 11:10



Re: Tour de France 2010

Postby the bear » 08 Feb 2012, 13:33

Satellite TV wrote:
the bear wrote:There's a Japanese channel in most pubs satellite packages that has full coverage, but no English.



Sorry to say that is just cleary wrong. Jsports from Sky Perfect Japan broadcasts the TDF in English.


That comments two years old bro' :)
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 3895
Joined: 14 Jul 2003, 14:45
Location: Taipei City
30 Recommends(s)
114 Recognized(s)



Re: Tour de France 2010

Postby the bear » 08 Feb 2012, 13:44

Steviebike wrote:I find it hard to believe that any top 10 grand tour contender wouldn't use performance drugs. Although until tested and caught I will always presume innocent.

It also doesn't bother me much, that riders use performance drugs. It's been part of the bicycle racing psyche since the beginning, so why would now be any different?

We all look back at heroes like Coppi with admiration, but he openly discussed his doping in an interview.

The Tour de France is like an opera; It has it's heroes, villains, rivals, cheats and sometimes a love interest (podium girls :D)

I can't imagine riding that fast and that long, without needing something?

Long live the Tour! Looking forward to this years race.


Call me naive but I reckon the peloton is pretty clean right now. With the last of the major dopers gone or hopefully reformed the days of 90% doping are surely over. Isolated doping still goes on I'm sure but the risks are too high. Contador stands to lose 4 million euros from this bust. On a related note I just finished reading David Millar's autobiography which gives a good account of what was going on in the early naughties.

It may be that for the Tour at least they need to lessen the strain on riders. Miller makes the point that some of the stages are just so tough that its almost not possible to complete them and then repeat the performance day after day without a little something extra in the blood.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 3895
Joined: 14 Jul 2003, 14:45
Location: Taipei City
30 Recommends(s)
114 Recognized(s)



Re: Tour de France 2010

Postby Steviebike » 08 Feb 2012, 13:59

the bear wrote:Call me naive but I reckon the peloton is pretty clean right now. With the last of the major dopers gone or hopefully reformed the days of 90% doping are surely over. Isolated doping still goes on I'm sure but the risks are too high. Contador stands to lose 4 million euros from this bust. On a related note I just finished reading David Millar's autobiography which gives a good account of what was going on in the early naughties.

It may be that for the Tour at least they need to lessen the strain on riders. Miller makes the point that some of the stages are just so tough that its almost not possible to complete them and then repeat the performance day after day without a little something extra in the blood.


Nothing naive, maybe I'm stuck in the past :D

There are clearly clean riders in the sport (pretty sure Cavendish is). Contador got what he deserved I guess. If a rider cheats then they must be prepared for the chance of being caught, the ones that admit up front are the ones who win my respect. Miller being the case. I have the book ready to read. I've also read Breaking the Chain, which is from the 80's peloton. So here we have the 90's cheaters and the 80's cheaters. There have been plenty of 00's cheaters too. I dunno.

I guess, I agree with you and what you say from Millar's autobiography. There seems two ways to go; 1. Allow all cheating (unlikely) or 2. Catch a cheater and end their career, until no one cheats (unlikely). Either don't sound great but, I would be more inclined to option 1 (if done properly and medically). I just think we now have a pretty good status quo. Between the riders and the various governing bodies, teams and sponsors. It is the sponsors who keep the thing alive so it has to be clean for them or at least give the image of clean.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
 
Posts: 1504
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 16:26
Location: Taipei
70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous




Proceed to Cycling



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 3 visitors

On most cellphones, press the Send key to open up a list of recent calls. Instead of manually dialing, you can return a call by highlighting one of these calls and pressing Send again.
More tips from David Pogue