Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Downhill Mountain Biking

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

Re: Downhill Mountain Biking URBAN DH RACE 8th OCT

Postby jaame » 28 Sep 2011, 21:00

You can ride your motorbike to the top even now.
It would be good for 4X/DJ.
The roads are wide enough for car shuttles, although walking up only takes about five minutes.

Google coords:

That's the carpark. THe roads up to the north east are all the little tarmac roads around the hillside and pretty much mark the extents of the area, certainly in the north and east.
jaame
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Re: Downhill Mountain Biking - URBAN DH RACE 8th Oct

Postby jaame » 01 Oct 2011, 14:36

The Jiou Fen urban DH is taking place on Saturday the 8th. No idea how to enter, I'm just going to turn up and try to enter on the day!

All welcome, hope to see some of you there.
jaame

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Re: Downhill Mountain Biking

Postby jaame » 08 Oct 2011, 18:33

The urban DH race got cancelled surprise surprise!

Roel, are you working on Monday or busy? I'm going to have the car and no daughter for a few hours, maybe 10am to 3pm, so if you are up for a ride I could come over to speedtrap that day!
jaame

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby RoelC » 08 Oct 2011, 21:11

I'm in Tainan for the whole holiday weekend, so no biking for me. Too bad, would have loved to ride speedtrap. It's been a while since the last time I was there. Better luck next time.
RoelC
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby jaame » 11 Oct 2011, 18:56

I've ordered a new Sunline stem that's 25mm longer than my NC-17 one. I'm hoping it will make a positive difference to my riding.

Bye bye this Image

Hello this Image and hello bashed knees perhaps.

I rode three times over the weekend, maybe 6-7 hours total. I'm getting the hang of my new bike now, found a good setting for the forks and tyre pressures. Rear shock has shat itself again though, total loss of rebound damping for the second time. It's a shame because it's perfect when it works properly.

Mr. Lu has been away at the new trails at Da Tung Shan a lot lately. I saw a video on youtube, it didn't look that good so I didn't go. It might get better over the coming months.
jaame

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby jaame » 08 Nov 2011, 19:04

I went over to Jung Fu Gong this afternoon because I had a day off school. I saw Mr. Lu and his buddy going over to Da Tong Shan so I just rode by myself in the woods for two hours. It was like being a kid in the UK again - muddy, a bit of drizzle, only me there by myself in the fading light.

A while back Ryan posted a link to the IMBA trail building website on the JFG Facebook page. I think someone's been reading it because today I discovered a new 150m long section of DH track, winding down and round the slope of the hill, not just straight down the steepest crappest route like usual there. Bench cut on the traverses, drainage ditch filled with big boulders then dirt on top. Flow Roel, flow! Only one superfluous jump and even that is avoidable on the quick line. I was really impressed actually. I don't know who built it but I salute them! It's still too soft to really carry speed but it has a lot of potential. A week of rain, a week of sun and 100 riders down it will pack it down a treat.

Da Tong Shan is too inconvenient for me. It's the kind of place I'll probably go to twice a year when it's finished. Just a total pain in the neck to get to from my house, and even worse from my new house.
jaame

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby jaame » 08 Nov 2011, 19:15

X RIDE 5 new date 18th December!
jaame

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

where's this?

Postby pommes king » 08 Nov 2011, 23:55

jaame wrote:Da Tong Shan

got any coordinates?
Forumosan avatar
pommes king
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby jaame » 11 Nov 2011, 20:31

I'm heading to Jung Fu Gong in the morning, three days of rain and it's going to be soft enough to dig. I'm planning to extend that new line further up the hill in the part that no one uses because there are no walking trails.
jaame

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby RoelC » 11 Nov 2011, 20:40

from when till when will you be there James?
Maybe if I get up early and don't feel too lazy I might come
RoelC
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cycling