Touring Taiwan (formerly KS to Taipei via Provin. 1)

Taiwan is a cyclist's paradise, and here's the place to share your experiences, questions, and pictures!

Touring Taiwan (formerly KS to Taipei via Provin. 1)

Postby csisfun » 24 Mar 2011, 17:52

Hi,

Just wondering what you guys think of cycle touring Taiwan this way? I was looking for a route from KS to Taipei, but couldn't find one, so I decided to follow the most obvious way, the Taiwan Provincial Highway 1. However, I don't know if this road is very packed and unsuitable for riding, so I would need advice from people who know better...

The reason why I am cycling so specifically from South to North is that I want to do something special for my 21st next month... and I discovered I like solitude of nature and aloneness. I have around 10 days of which I suppose I can spend 7 days cycling the 440km of Provincial 1, or the 360km for the most direct way from KS to TP as Google Maps suggests.

What do you guys think?
Touring Western Taiwan: http://goo.gl/oNIO8
csisfun
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Kaohsiung to Taipei via Provincial 1?

Postby Mucha Man » 24 Mar 2011, 18:16

Provincial 1 is almost always the worst, most blighted, dirty, unscenic route you can take.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

852 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 24 Mar 2011, 18:59

csisfun wrote:so I decided to follow the most obvious way, the Taiwan Provincial Highway 1.... I like solitude of nature and aloneness....

You're winding us up, right? :cool:

Get some decent maps, the pocket sized Guides for each County are pretty good, and meander through the back roads. Might take you a day longer, but it'll be more memorable.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby Vorkosigan » 24 Mar 2011, 19:06

Hwy 1 is a blight on humanity. It should be destroyed and the earth salted beneath it as a lesson to the next ten thousand generations that some things come at too high a price.

Instead, take 3 along the mountains in the south. When you get into the Jhushan area, switch to 21 and go over to Dongshih, then resume 3 through Miaoli.
Vorkosigan
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby baberenglish » 24 Mar 2011, 19:25

every 500 meters there is a traffic light, even out in the country side....
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby navillus » 24 Mar 2011, 21:01

csisfun wrote:I want to do something special for my 21st next month

If you want to do something special, catch a train to Taipei and cycle down the east coast to Taidong. Depending on your time constraints, you can either take a train back to KH or keep on riding.

The west coast offers one grimy town after the other, and not a lot more. You'd have to go inland a little to get any enjoyment out of it.
"collective madness is called sanity"
Paulo Coelho, Veronika Decides to Die
Forumosan avatar
navillus
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

6 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby ludahai » 24 Mar 2011, 22:01

Vorkosigan wrote:Hwy 1 is a blight on humanity. It should be destroyed and the earth salted beneath it as a lesson to the next ten thousand generations that some things come at too high a price.

Instead, take 3 along the mountains in the south. When you get into the Jhushan area, switch to 21 and go over to Dongshih, then resume 3 through Miaoli.

I like this option as well... note two things... you have to get on 8 after 21 to get to Dongshi District... if you are going to overnight in that area, take 8 to Guguan in Heping District and enjoy a hot spring for the evening before setting off on 8 back to Dongshi and up to Zhuolan in Miaoli County...

Also, that is a very hilly ride, so be prepared... it will take you to Sun Moon Lake before you get to Taichung City, which is really nice too... go around the lake if you have time... and eat in downtown Yuchi... some good things to eat there...
I have a dream, a dream where a democratic China lives side by side with Taiwan, Tibet, and Turkestan, all free and democratic.
ludahai
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby ludahai » 24 Mar 2011, 22:04

Muzha Man wrote:Provincial 1 is almost always the worst, most blighted, dirty, unscenic route you can take.

Agreed... I only ride it when it is more practical than other routes when I have to go through Zhanghua County... I prefer routes 19 and 14 when I have time to spare...
I have a dream, a dream where a democratic China lives side by side with Taiwan, Tibet, and Turkestan, all free and democratic.
ludahai

1 Recognized(s)

Postby csisfun » 24 Mar 2011, 23:28

Excellent responses, I guess no Provincial 1 then... based on your responses, I plotted this map on Google Maps to get a feel of the distance. Any comments?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 83026&z=10
Touring Western Taiwan: http://goo.gl/oNIO8
csisfun

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby ludahai » 25 Mar 2011, 06:32

csisfun wrote:Excellent responses, I guess no Provincial 1 then... based on your responses, I plotted this map on Google Maps to get a feel of the distance. Any comments?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 83026&z=10

I can really only comment on central Taiwan...

Depending on how much time you have, I would head up to Sun Moon Lake from Route 14 to 21 and go around the lake. And again, if you are going to overnight in Taichung, take the short ride east on Route 8 to Guguan and enjoy a hot spring...

Enjoy your ride and give us a report...
ludahai

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Cycling