European Medieval Armoured Combat

While Taiwan is home to some fantastic martial arts traditions, newer and less traditional martial arts are also growing strong. From tai chi chuan to Brazilian jujitsu, this is the forum for fighters!

European Medieval Armoured Combat

Postby Dairyllama » 19 Aug 2011, 01:43

This is a shout out to anyone who is interested in traditional European weapon combat. I used to be part of an armoured combat society back in my home country and I'm looking for people here to train with. The style of combat is training weapon styles from Europe and learning how armour (chain, scale, plate, leather, etc) was created and try to replicate the various systems and designs into genuine combat-ready armour. This culminates in actual combat duals with armour and blunt weapons (mainly swords).

Is there anyone who does this in Taipei? I heard it was becoming popular in eastern Asia. I know large numbers of pieces of armour are being produced in India, and many blades are being produced in China. Asia is definitely making lots of medieval European combat items.
"Evil in general doesn't sleep and therefore doesn't see why anyone else should."
Forumosan avatar
Dairyllama
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: European Medieval Armoured Combat

Postby prodigal son » 19 Aug 2011, 10:00

As an FMA instructor from a sword-based lineage (Ilustrisimo) and being British I have been interested in this for a few years. I loved the documentary "Reclaiming the Blade" and some of the quarterstaff and other vids I've seen on-line. Those med-evil knights really were "Supermen" !

Unfortunately I'm based in Taichung County so it's a bit far but I wish the best of luck with this interesting pursuit. Also, please post back if you find out where we can get stuff made in Taiwan as I could do with getting some gloves made and other equipment....

All the best,

Simon.
Forumosan avatar
prodigal son
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Belgian Pie » 19 Aug 2011, 11:23

As long as you don't wear steel body armor and cross swords in a swamp it should be OK .... :wink:
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
62 Recognized(s)

Postby Bubba 2 Guns » 19 Aug 2011, 14:09

I have a fire ax and a football helmet-can I play too?
""It occurred to me, the basis of fiction, is that people have some sort of connection with each other that they don't" -Richard Harrow
Forumosan avatar
Bubba 2 Guns
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

6 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 19 Aug 2011, 15:39

I was always under the impression that the swords and stuff were more for intimidation than anything else. The real killing was done with a dagger thrust into the nutsack area. Still, it looks like fun.
FREEDOM!!!!!
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Dairyllama » 20 Aug 2011, 00:43

Belgian Pie wrote:As long as you don't wear steel body armor and cross swords in a swamp it should be OK .... :wink:

"They said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I did it anyway."

Sandman: You're half right. Swords were not always used in combat, but usually carried as a backup weapon. The majority of killing was done by spears, warhammers and, to a lesser extent, (based on who was fighting) axes. Daggers were also present but, like swords, usually kept as spare weapons.

Prodigal Son: I will keep my ears open and get hold of contacts I know back home, as some of them order items from Asia. I'll let you know if I hear of anything.
"Evil in general doesn't sleep and therefore doesn't see why anyone else should."
Forumosan avatar
Dairyllama
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Dairyllama » 20 Aug 2011, 00:58

Bubba 2 Guns wrote:I have a fire ax and a football helmet-can I play too?

"A fire axe - truly the weapon of a madman. What idiot attacks fire with an axe?"
Forumosan avatar
Dairyllama
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 20 Aug 2011, 00:58

I formerly made arrows (SCA target, heavy duty, award-winning) and chain mail for this kind of combat and did live combat archery (SCA tennis ball & golf tube experimental) -- Gawd, I love shooting real people! -- and still have my chain mail gear here (and occasionally make a bit) but am not aware of any groups here practicing it.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby Dairyllama » 20 Aug 2011, 01:01

Well, if all else fails, I will have to start a group, even if it's only to meet and practice sword techniques.
Forumosan avatar
Dairyllama
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 20 Aug 2011, 01:03

I believe urodacus does scrotal reconstructive work, and he's only as far away as Okinawa, so I think you're good to go on the sword practice.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Martial Arts