Real, usable Kungfu/Wushu

While Taiwan is home to some fantastic martial arts traditions, newer and less traditional martial arts are also growing strong. From tai chi chuan to Brazilian jujitsu, this is the forum for fighters!

Real, usable Kungfu/Wushu

Postby jimisgek » 13 Mar 2012, 21:48

After being out of action for a few years due to injury, I'm looking to get back into martial arts. The problem is that I started with a really good teacher in the UK. He taught Taichi but, he could use it. After I left the UK for Australia I couldn't find anyone teaching traditional Chinese martial arts who could actually use it. I've been to a couple of classes here but, it seems the real deal is just as rare. I know there's lots of people with good lineages etc here but, I get the feeling they never actually learnt how to use it in sparring or just are not willing to teach it. Of course it takes time and training but, I don't believe the bullshit about it taking 10 years before you can even start sparring.

I'm wondering if I should just give up and go for something like Systema or BJJ. (Anyone have any experience with these?)

Hoping someone can point me in the right correction.…
jimisgek
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Real, usable Kungfu/Wushu

Postby UncleJamie » 14 Mar 2012, 01:08

Hi Jimis,

There are lots of good practitioners here, though as everywhere most are crap, and the poseurs seem to be the ones with biggest schools, most advertising, etc.

IMHO, the best traditional-style teachers don't have a lot of students, because they care about transmitting their art as a legacy. Also, while they may have experience using the art, why are they going to teach you that, when you don't want to learn the basics first. Again, I am speaking of TMA. There are quite a few choices for what you seem to want, depending on where you live. Do a search.

I have seen posts from a Wing Chun group that I think practices at CKS memorial. There are a couple MMA gyms/clubs in Taipei, do a search for these topics. There is a very good trainer here in Tainan called Master Hisham. Check out some of his Youtube videos here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHfK6eeMTkA.

Hope you find what u r looking for.

UJ
UncleJamie
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby trubadour » 14 Mar 2012, 08:46

the OP is in Taipei?
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby jimisgek » 14 Mar 2012, 10:15

trubadour wrote:the OP is in Taipei?

I'm in Hualian at the moment spending most weekends in Taipei. I'll be moving to Taipei in July
jimisgek

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby jimisgek » 14 Mar 2012, 10:17

UncleJamie wrote:Hi Jimis,

Also, while they may have experience using the art, why are they going to teach you that, when you don't want to learn the basics first. Again, I am speaking of TMA.

UJ

I'm happy to learn basics it's just that, with a lot of teachers, that is all they have. I don't believe the fallacy that if you train forms for 10 years you will magically have the ability to defend yourself. Basically I don't want to waste time with people who can't eventually teach me real usage.
jimisgek

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby zuti car » 14 Mar 2012, 23:31

jimisgek wrote:
UncleJamie wrote:Hi Jimis,

Also, while they may have experience using the art, why are they going to teach you that, when you don't want to learn the basics first. Again, I am speaking of TMA.

UJ

I'm happy to learn basics it's just that, with a lot of teachers, that is all they have. I don't believe the fallacy that if you train forms for 10 years you will magically have the ability to defend yourself. Basically I don't want to waste time with people who can't eventually teach me real usage.

In a real situation you can only use the basics , complicated things does not work in a fight . Even if someone can do some complicated things during sparring session there is a little chance to do the same in a real fight . Successful self defense is more about proper psychological response to violence then it is about technique its self .If you want to learn to fight , then you have to fight , there is no other way .If you want to learn self defense then you have to learn much more then simple fighting skill and i seriously doubt there is a lot of people who can teach you that . About TMA , choose one stile and complete the system . Then adjust the system to your needs according to your fighting philosophy . Important thing is to exchange the knowledge (trough sparring ) with as many different fighters as you can from all range of different styles .
zuti car
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Martial Arts