Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Hong Kong Or Thailand ? And some questions

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Hong Kong Or Thailand ? And some questions

Postby Oxidda » 14 Mar 2012, 16:17

Hi everyone,

for April I have some time off and I have to choose one destination: either Hong Kong or Thailand. If I choose Hong Kong, I would spent there probably 3-4 days or so. Do you think it is enough ? Should I change my money in Taiwan first ? On the other hand, if I choose Thailand, I can stay there for 5 days in a high class hotel for the same price of 3-4 days in Hong Kong in a mid-range hotel. I have never been to these places before anyway so I am asking you people what do you think about it ? Anything to recommend or advices to give ? Thanks a lot for every answer in advance :)
包吃包住
Oxidda
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Hong Kong Or Thailand ? And some questions

Postby Chris » 14 Mar 2012, 16:39

Thailand. More to do. Better food. More exotic culture. Cheaper.

Cardinal rule: Do any currency exchanges from or into NT$ while still in Taiwan. Changing NT$ outside of Taiwan is sometimes impossible, but when possible, you will likely be hit with hefty fees.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 14 Mar 2012, 17:20

Nothing much to see/do in Hong Kong. You'll be bored after two days. Go to Thailand, but I'd suggest a lesser-known beach destination rather than a city (unless you're specifically looking for, um, alternative entertainment). Bangkok is 'orrible.

Chris: aren't you supposed to be in The Magic Kimdom?
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

839 Recommends(s)
646 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 14 Mar 2012, 18:16

finley wrote:Nothing much to see/do in Hong Kong. You'll be bored after two days. Go to Thailand, but I'd suggest a lesser-known beach destination rather than a city (unless you're specifically looking for, um, alternative entertainment). Bangkok is 'orrible.

I love Bangkok. Lots to do in the city even if you're not looking for ... uh... special entertainment.

Chris: aren't you supposed to be in The Magic Kimdom?

Still a few days to go.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 15 Mar 2012, 02:05

Do be aware of the Songkran festival. It's fun at first, but it gets old fast. Three days of water soakings, crowds, and closed shops.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

Postby Oxidda » 15 Mar 2012, 08:52

Thanks a lot for your advices, I'm still thinking but I will probably choose Thailand then, I can still go to Hong Kong over a week end anyway. With the songkran festival you mentionned, are there a lot of shops and tourist attractions closed then ? I looked on wikipedia and it says the celebration will occur from 13th to 15th of April. Should it be avoided if I want to tour the country (maybe a lot of people are going to their hometown during that moment) ? As I understood it, it seems to be a new year celebration, so probably very important to local people.
包吃包住
Oxidda

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Abacus » 15 Mar 2012, 11:34

Chris wrote:Thailand. More to do. Better food. More exotic culture. Cheaper.

Cardinal rule: Do any currency exchanges from or into NT$ while still in Taiwan. Changing NT$ outside of Taiwan is sometimes impossible, but when possible, you will likely be hit with hefty fees.

People still change hard currency? Use the ATM. However I do like to carry about $100 US as a backup since it's easily exchanged.

I hated Bangkok although I should go back and spend some more time there. I mostly used it as a transit destination to other places. For a 4-5 day trip I would spend 2-3 days in a place like Kanchanaburi and go to the elephant camp and Erawan Falls. http://theworldisnotthatbig.com/2011/01 ... wan-falls/ and http://theworldisnotthatbig.com/2011/01 ... chanaburi/ or go to an island. I regret not taking the time to visit the islands but time/money was limited. I'll go back sometime.

thai islands and smaller cities >>>>>> HK >> Bangkok - imo
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

122 Recommends(s)
129 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 15 Mar 2012, 11:37

Songkran Festival is a blast. Some places will close for one day, but hotels, food shops, etc. still open.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

6 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Postby Oxidda » 15 Mar 2012, 15:22

Thanks all for your answers and suggestions :) . Actually I might go to Thailand before the Songkran festival starts then, and just leave a day or two after it has started. That seems to be a good compromise. As for special entertainment, well I'm going with my girlfriend so not gonna happen and I'm not into that kind of stuff ^^ unless you guys know something for couples :oops: .
By the way, my girlfriend is taiwanese so she will probably need a visa to get there, is it difficult to do for her ? (I think as an EU citizen, I don't need for tourism purpose actually).
包吃包住
Oxidda

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby finley » 15 Mar 2012, 15:28

Oxidda wrote:Thanks all for your answers and suggestions :) . Actually I might go to Thailand before the Songkran festival starts then, and just leave a day or two after it has started. That seems to be a good compromise. As for special entertainment, well I'm going with my girlfriend so not gonna happen and I'm not into that kind of stuff ^^ unless you guys know something for couples :oops: .
By the way, my girlfriend is taiwanese so she will probably need a visa to get there, is it difficult to do for her ? (I think as an EU citizen, I don't need for tourism purpose actually).

Frankly I can't remember if my gf had to apply for one or if it was just done as a "landing visa"... either way, it seems to be just a rubber-stamp job. I do remember walking through a Bangkok night market (I recommend the snacks) and having pimps coming up to me - with gf walking right next to me - waving a book full of photos of their girls in my face.

As for your visa - yes, I think EU citizens just walk right in.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

839 Recommends(s)
646 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to International Travel