Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Tickets to Burma

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Tickets to Burma

Postby Ovechkin » 24 Mar 2012, 03:25

What's the best airline to get to Rangoon? I want to go in July but the prices I find from Taipei are about 800-1000USD...is that normal? thats almost a round trip ticket back home for me. any experience would be great! thanks!
Ovechkin
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Tickets to Burma

Postby zyzzx » 24 Mar 2012, 04:25

You can fly direct on China Air, but it's not cheap. You can also fly to Bangkok first and then to Burma on a separate airline. I flew Bangkok Air from BKK to Yangon, and I think it was somewhere around 250-300 USD. Then add in whatever the TPE-BKK flight costs. So yeah, getting to Burma is expensive.
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Ovechkin » 26 Mar 2012, 23:41

on a tangent...is it hard to get a visa into burma? where would i go in taiwan to apply?
Ovechkin

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby zyzzx » 27 Mar 2012, 00:54

Ovechkin wrote:on a tangent...is it hard to get a visa into burma? where would i go in taiwan to apply?

I didn't have any trouble (US passport). I got it through my travel agent (OK travel, but I imagine that most could do it). Just checked and it was 1300 NT and they needed a copy of my ARC and 2 photos.
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Ovechkin » 27 Mar 2012, 04:20

i just checked air asia...i can fly to KL and from from KL to Yangoon...let me check with my travel agent and see. thanks for the help.
Ovechkin

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Pingdong » 29 Mar 2012, 23:53

transfer in KL/bangkok is easy. flights we paid I think 200 US return form bangkok to yangon last year in August. travel agencies here do it for you, but no office in taiwan, most are done in Hongkong, so do it in advance. we did it with CDN and TWN passports, longer visas are tricky and the gov is still flipping a bit. but i did see visa on arrival as well...but they change their mind like no ones business...

also BRING CASH.

we were dumb and didnt realize the gov there shut down all international banking/credit systems, so you only have what cash you bring in, or find some illegal travel agency to manage some cash for you for a 8-20% fee.

bring cash.

bring cash.

bring cash.
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Shaktipalooza » 30 Mar 2012, 12:57

I went to Burma for two weeks last November. There are foreign offices in Bangkok, Hong Kong, and Kuala Lumpur. As far as I know only the Bangkok office has express, same day visa turnaround service. Unfortunately when I went much of Bangkok was under water and nobody was picking up the phones at the embassy, this is probably just normal though. I rerouted through Hong Kong to get my visa, not knowing if they had same day service. As it turns out, they don't. Luckily they did get it processed within a few hours. They may or may not ask you for a business card, they don't want press people for some reason ;)

I continued on to Bangkok and flew Air Asia into Yangon. The comments about bringing cash are absolutely critical, and bring uncirculated US dollars or you'll be getting shitty rates, if they'll exchange them at all. I had all uncirculated US currency, a couple of hours before exchanging the money I put a few $100 dollar bills in my wallet. The miniscule crease that resulted caused the money changer to reject them. On the other side any Myanmar currency that's taped together or in tatters is perfectly acceptable. I recommend putting your currency in a tin box (ridiculous I know).

Burma was really worth the effort. Kind people, very interesting places to see, and a fraction of the visitors you come across any where else in asia. This will change.

I have quite a few images from Burma on by blog. Republic Of Mike

Shwedagon Temple

Inle Lake

Bagan

Balloon Festival

video
Forumosan avatar
Shaktipalooza

6 Recognized(s)

Postby Ovechkin » 01 Apr 2012, 00:35

wow!!!! absolutely beautiful photos! thank you for the insight. there's no way i can apply for a visa in Taiwan? I must do it in person in either BK, KL, or HK?
Ovechkin

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby zyzzx » 02 Apr 2012, 08:40

Ovechkin wrote:wow!!!! absolutely beautiful photos! thank you for the insight. there's no way i can apply for a visa in Taiwan? I must do it in person in either BK, KL, or HK?

No, you can do it through a travel agent in Taiwan. They'll send it off to wherever.
And yes, bring cash - new, clean, unfolded US dollars. 100 dollar bills are best, but some smaller denominations can also come in handy.
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Ovechkin » 03 Apr 2012, 01:37

unfortunately i wont have USD with me in Taiwan...all my money is in NT...would I have any issues changing money from NT before i go?

when I do booking through a travel agent...they'll take my passport right? that makes me so nervous...for all of us out here, thats our lifeline!
Ovechkin

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to International Travel