Philippines/Vacation Advice

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Philippines/Vacation Advice

Postby Pingdong » 18 Apr 2012, 00:09

cambodia is nice, but at least for me the risk of getting blown up stepping on some unexploded US bomb makes other places more attractive in the nature sense. you can hike through jungles in thailand and phili. but not so much in Laos/cambodia, unless you just stick to well used trails. i also found cambodia slightly less interesting form a nature perspective as its much flatter in many places and dry looking compared to so many of the dense jungle mountains of the other 2 countries mentioned.

In reality, we should really go to all of them and find out firsthand. Our trip overall we found Palawan cheaper than Thailand (southern Thailand), but aside from the hotel, we cheap out on almost everything. i also like palwan because its WAY less busy than other places.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 18 Apr 2012, 08:53

Looks like Secret Paradise Resort is Sold out in July...
Do you guys book in advance or just turn up?
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
114 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 18 Apr 2012, 09:57

I usually just turn up. Especially if I'm dong the sort of thing you are doing.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
186 Recognized(s)

Postby Shaktipalooza » 18 Apr 2012, 11:49

Pingdong wrote:cambodia is nice, but at least for me the risk of getting blown up stepping on some unexploded US bomb makes other places more attractive in the nature sense. you can hike through jungles in thailand and phili. but not so much in Laos/cambodia, unless you just stick to well used trails.

when was the last time a foreigner done got blowed up in Cambodia?
Forumosan avatar
Shaktipalooza
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 18 Apr 2012, 13:01

Feiren wrote:I usually just turn up. Especially if I'm dong the sort of thing you are doing.

dans/sans backpack/suitcase?
trubadour

ORIGINAL POSTER
114 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 18 Apr 2012, 14:58

A small pack.
Feiren

4 Recommends(s)
186 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 18 Apr 2012, 15:27

You can find simple cheap clean places near the beach in Phuket, Pattaya, Koh Sammui, etc. for NT$800-1200 a day. I've seen rooms for $500 within walking distance of the beach. Eat the cheap food at the markets with fairly cheap access to just about any activity you might be interested in, from hiking to kayaking to watching movies or hitting shopping malls, to just laying on a beach doing nothing except let people bring everything to you, from fresh seafood to a massage. You can socialize or be around people as much or as little as you prefer. Quite a few of the restaurants/pubs have free wi-fi, so even if not interested in drinking or socailizing, its convenient to grab a seat, watch the sea, and catch up on email.

Flights direct to Phuket, or fly into Bangkok and catch a cheap shuttle direct to hotel in Pattaya.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

This post was recommended by trubadour (18 Apr 2012, 15:37)
Rating: 5.88%
tango42
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

5 Recommends(s)
29 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 18 Apr 2012, 15:31

Alona Beach. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 18 Apr 2012, 15:55

tango42 wrote:You can find simple cheap clean places near the beach in Phuket, Pattaya, Koh Sammui, etc. for NT$800-1200 a day. I've seen rooms for $500 within walking distance of the beach. Eat the cheap food at the markets with fairly cheap access to just about any activity you might be interested in, from hiking to kayaking to watching movies or hitting shopping malls, to just laying on a beach doing nothing except let people bring everything to you, from fresh seafood to a massage. You can socialize or be around people as much or as little as you prefer. Quite a few of the restaurants/pubs have free wi-fi, so even if not interested in drinking or socailizing, its convenient to grab a seat, watch the sea, and catch up on email.

Flights direct to Phuket, or fly into Bangkok and catch a cheap shuttle direct to hotel in Pattaya.

Pattaya is almost unbelievably sleazy. Probably should be experienced once. This is sexpat central.

Phuket and now, sadly, are package tourist destinations.

Listen to JD. Alona beach.
Feiren

4 Recommends(s)
186 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 18 Apr 2012, 16:09

Feiren wrote:
tango42 wrote:You can find simple cheap clean places near the beach in Phuket, Pattaya, Koh Sammui, etc. for NT$800-1200 a day. I've seen rooms for $500 within walking distance of the beach. Eat the cheap food at the markets with fairly cheap access to just about any activity you might be interested in, from hiking to kayaking to watching movies or hitting shopping malls, to just laying on a beach doing nothing except let people bring everything to you, from fresh seafood to a massage. You can socialize or be around people as much or as little as you prefer. Quite a few of the restaurants/pubs have free wi-fi, so even if not interested in drinking or socailizing, its convenient to grab a seat, watch the sea, and catch up on email.

Pattaya is almost unbelievably sleazy. Probably should be experienced once. This is sexpat central.

Phuket and now, sadly, are package tourist destinations.

Listen to JD. Alona beach.

Agreed. But can still enjoy cheaply by avoiding what you don't want, and finding what you do want.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42

5 Recommends(s)
29 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to International Travel