Working on a Student Visa: Work Authorization from the School?

Moderator: John

Working on a Student Visa: Work Authorization from the School?

Postby melikenaruto » 17 Jul 2012, 00:31

From my last post, I had someone say I may be able to work with a work authorization permit from my university. How can I get my hands on one of those? I don't want to walk in blindly to the CLD office and ask for one without knowing some info first. And is there anyway I can work as an international student on a student visa? FYI I will be getting my ARC sometime September since I'll be studying here for a while, a while meaning maybe a degree or even a masters. Will it be easier to wait for my ARC then work or is it possible to start a bit early?
Disguised in all your alibis
Forumosan avatar
melikenaruto
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Working on a Student Visa: Work Authorization from the School?

Postby boho » 17 Jul 2012, 10:08

I'm assuming you're in Taipei, but here's the info for NCKU in Tainan (which is probably similar if not the same).

http://oia-en.ncku.edu.tw/files/11-1040-5199.php

And here's for NTU

http://www.oia.ntu.edu.tw/oia/index.php ... 20/lang/en

Looks like you have to be a year into your studies and have to prove you're poor.
boho
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby melikenaruto » 17 Jul 2012, 15:12

Damn.. Oh well..

Thanks for the info :D
Forumosan avatar
melikenaruto

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby bumclouds » 19 Jul 2012, 14:12

If you get a permit, it's strictly part-time only and I think there's a limit on the hours.
Your warning level: [4]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

94 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby mahkie » 20 Jul 2012, 08:38

BTW, if you can get a work visa normally (for say, english teaching), you can also do that without any cooperation from the school. Scholarships from the school don't require you to be on a student visa most of the time.
mahkie
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby melikenaruto » 20 Jul 2012, 23:03

Thing is I'm 18, fresh outta high school attending NTU CLD, so I have basically no qualifications to teach anything unless it was private tutoring (even then, learning from an 18 year old isn't exactly what a lot of people want for themselves/their children). I was thinking along the lines of waiters or store clerk or something like that. Of course part time. I heard that minimum wage in Taiwan is like 800 USD a month or something for locals, so I was hoping if I could get something that paid maybe half of that with the 16 hour work limit, because that would take care of my rent at least.

If I had to teach anything I'd teach guitar, because I'm decent at it and I know where to start. But I checked at a few music shops and classes and no one's hiring. I asked if they needed an English speaking guitar teacher, and either they said no because I was too young or there's virtually no demand on English speaking guitar teachers in these places :/
Forumosan avatar
melikenaruto

ORIGINAL POSTER

Return to Working in Taiwan