Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Working on a Student Visa: Work Authorization from the School?

Moderator: John

Working on a Student Visa: Work Authorization from the School?

Postby melikenaruto » 17 Jul 2012, 00:31

From my last post, I had someone say I may be able to work with a work authorization permit from my university. How can I get my hands on one of those? I don't want to walk in blindly to the CLD office and ask for one without knowing some info first. And is there anyway I can work as an international student on a student visa? FYI I will be getting my ARC sometime September since I'll be studying here for a while, a while meaning maybe a degree or even a masters. Will it be easier to wait for my ARC then work or is it possible to start a bit early?
Disguised in all your alibis
Forumosan avatar
melikenaruto
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Working on a Student Visa: Work Authorization from the School?

Postby boho » 17 Jul 2012, 10:08

I'm assuming you're in Taipei, but here's the info for NCKU in Tainan (which is probably similar if not the same).

http://oia-en.ncku.edu.tw/files/11-1040-5199.php

And here's for NTU

http://www.oia.ntu.edu.tw/oia/index.php ... 20/lang/en

Looks like you have to be a year into your studies and have to prove you're poor.
boho
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby melikenaruto » 17 Jul 2012, 15:12

Damn.. Oh well..

Thanks for the info :D
Forumosan avatar
melikenaruto

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby bumclouds » 19 Jul 2012, 14:12

If you get a permit, it's strictly part-time only and I think there's a limit on the hours.
Your warning level: [4]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

97 Recommends(s)
78 Recognized(s)

Postby mahkie » 20 Jul 2012, 08:38

BTW, if you can get a work visa normally (for say, english teaching), you can also do that without any cooperation from the school. Scholarships from the school don't require you to be on a student visa most of the time.
mahkie
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby melikenaruto » 20 Jul 2012, 23:03

Thing is I'm 18, fresh outta high school attending NTU CLD, so I have basically no qualifications to teach anything unless it was private tutoring (even then, learning from an 18 year old isn't exactly what a lot of people want for themselves/their children). I was thinking along the lines of waiters or store clerk or something like that. Of course part time. I heard that minimum wage in Taiwan is like 800 USD a month or something for locals, so I was hoping if I could get something that paid maybe half of that with the 16 hour work limit, because that would take care of my rent at least.

If I had to teach anything I'd teach guitar, because I'm decent at it and I know where to start. But I checked at a few music shops and classes and no one's hiring. I asked if they needed an English speaking guitar teacher, and either they said no because I was too young or there's virtually no demand on English speaking guitar teachers in these places :/
Forumosan avatar
melikenaruto

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Working in Taiwan