Gender Discrimination in Hiring

Moderator: John

Re: Gender discrimination in hiring

Postby Hamletintaiwan » 13 Jul 2011, 19:51

Carleen’s ELC expanded and is seeking a full-time experienced female English Teacher to join our growing team. * Canadian owned and operated. Small classes, supportive working environment, flexible lesson plans

As a matter of fact, there is such an ad on tealit right now. And surprisingly this school is owned by a Canadian.

This is all due to these perverts that made it into the news a couple of years ago.

Ever since, it's very difficult for males to find a job teaching young children. It used to be the other way around here in Taiwan.
Forumosan avatar
Hamletintaiwan
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

7 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby bob » 14 Jul 2011, 02:07

Hamletintaiwan wrote:
Carleen’s ELC expanded and is seeking a full-time experienced female English Teacher to join our growing team. * Canadian owned and operated. Small classes, supportive working environment, flexible lesson plans

As a matter of fact, there is such an ad on tealit right now. And surprisingly this school is owned by a Canadian.

Why is that surprising?
bob
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

21 Recognized(s)

Postby Hamletintaiwan » 14 Jul 2011, 02:13

bob wrote:
Hamletintaiwan wrote:

Why is that surprising?

I assumed that westerners are more aware of the nondiscrimination rules.
Forumosan avatar
Hamletintaiwan

7 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby pqkdzrwt » 14 Jul 2011, 09:56

Lili wrote:Any mothers on Forumosa who can comment on whether they'd rather a female taking care of their child. I'm talking about young, young kids btw. Anything younger than 5 or 6.

Think about what you are saying. While I agree that I a woman is more likely to be someone who I would want looking after my kids, there are some guys I know who would win hands down in that contest.

You simply cant make a blanket rule, there are of course going to be some guys that would be better at looking after your kid than some girls. Just because statistically there would be more females who meet the criteria than males, doesn't mean you can make it a rule.

All this anti-discrimination stuff is a distraction from the real point, it should be the right person for the right job. Which in many cases I know of, anti-discrimination just gets in the way. Sure this may be controversial, but I have seen women promoted instead of the best person for the job many times because it was politically correct and it just pisses me off. Why should we put up with having less than the best person for the job because you need to meet some quota for the company to look good!!
Last edited by bismarck on 14 Jul 2011, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited and corrected quote
Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it
pqkdzrwt
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

4 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Re: Gender Discrimination in Hiring

Postby Zla'od » 29 Sep 2011, 21:29

Well I don't want some Canadian taking care of MY kids. They'd probably be whispering to them English in one ear, and French in the other.
“If a bodhisattva resides as a householder and there appears a woman who is clearly unbound to anyone, habituated to sexual indulgence, attracted to the bodhisattva and seeking sexual activities, the bodhisattva having seen this thinks, 'Do not make her mind upset, producing much misfortune. If she pursues her desire, she will obtain freedom. As expedient means [upaya] I will take her in and have her plant the roots for virtue, also having her abandon unwholesome karma. I will engage in impure activities [abrahma-carya] with a compassionate mind.' Even practising such defiled activities like this, there is nothing that is violated [precepts], and much merit will be produced." -- from the Yogācārabhūmi Śāstra

For even more saucy Buddhist scripture, see http://sdhammika.blogspot.tw/2010/08/st ... m-all.html
Zla'od
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

78 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 30 Sep 2011, 02:06

Yes, but we're not talking about Western parents here, we're talking about Taiwanese parents sending their kids to the language school. If the parents want female teachers, female teachers the school will hire. Or more to the point, if the school believes the parents want female teachers, then it's female teachers all the way.

In Taiwan, there is the law, and then there's what happens in buxibans. Sometimes the two are the same, but not that much.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
332 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby johnnyvo » 06 Mar 2012, 13:58

Being racist, sexist or ageist is not a problem in cram schools in fact they believe it's just business. After teaching at a cram school in Dong Gan for one year my contract was not renewed because they found a female to do my job. The school simply said you worked hard and we liked that, but we found a girl so we are going to go with her. It was complete bullshit and most people would feel the same way if you were sacked not because of poor performance, but because of your gender. When I started the school had a chance to hire a girl, but they didn't because she was black. The owner was very open about it and said it's a small town people would not understand it's not like Taipei or Kaohsiung. He was saying I will lose business if I hire this person, it was a shite situation for this girl.

Sometimes you will see schools placing adds for teachers that read as follows -" Females only, sorry guys". "or Must be under 35 years of age." " Please send picture with resume". All of this makes you wonder that if there are a few schools with the nerve to actually post that how many don't, but are thinking it. I believe many, unfortunately teaching English is about how much money you can make and if the Taiwanese feel a white, American, young girl is the ideal candidate by god that's what the schools will go after.

I left Taiwan shortly after this. I spent 7 years teaching in Cram schools and I can honestly say each year the job got worse not better. It's just simple math the new generation of parents are only having one child per family compare that to the previous generation who were having two to three kids per family. Things are getting much more competitive, schools are combing classes or just closing all together. It's too bad, I loved the life had in Taiwan I played football, played music, studied at Uni, travelled all over the island and shagged many girls it was paradise.

Now I'm back in Canada unemployed and bored as fuck, but the thought of returning would be a waste of time. I don't think things for teachers are going to get better or stabilize they will only get worse. Its better I figure that out now at 37 rather than 47. Oh well, it was a fucking blast Taiwan, I learned so much and I will cherish all the good parts, Zai gen!
johnnyvo
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 06 Mar 2012, 14:17

Lili wrote:I think in cases where children are involved, most people would consider "female preferred" the default.
In America, males can't perform certain duties in pre-K or elementary such as changing diapers/getting kids dressed (literally against the law).

Utterly not true.

Some places have a POLICY not to allow men to change female children's diapers, but it is no way, anywhere (that I know of) the law.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Gender Discrimination in Hiring

Postby ChewDawg » 06 Mar 2012, 14:25

johnnyvo wrote: It's too bad, I loved the life had in Taiwan I played football, played music, studied at Uni, travelled all over the island and shagged many girls it was paradise.

Now I'm back in Canada unemployed and bored as fuck

:roflmao: :roflmao: You're not the Canadian bloke that ran through CKS before he was deported saying he knew A-bian are you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't despair Johnny Canuck :lol: :lol: There are many third world locales waiting for ex Tim Horton baristas and Canadian proletariat vagabonds to teach them Engrishy and PC ethics. :lol: Why not head to Vietnam or China?
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

111 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 06 Mar 2012, 15:32

ChewDawg wrote:
johnnyvo wrote: It's too bad, I loved the life had in Taiwan I played football, played music, studied at Uni, travelled all over the island and shagged many girls it was paradise.

Now I'm back in Canada unemployed and bored as fuck

:roflmao: :roflmao: You're not the Canadian bloke that ran through CKS before he was deported saying he knew A-bian are you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't despair Johnny Canuck :lol: :lol: There are many third world locales waiting for ex Tim Horton baristas and Canadian proletariat vagabonds to teach them Engrishy and PC ethics. :lol: Why not head to Vietnam or China?

Not being an English teacher, what perverse delight does it give you to say these things?
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Working in Taiwan