Crazy working hours..

Moderator: John

Re: Crazy working hours..

Postby steelersman » 15 Apr 2012, 15:04

headhonchoII wrote:It's common for Taiwanese to come in a little late due to overtime the previous day. Taiwanese often work weekends too.
Not enough holidays and time off, spot on.

The workers don't want to work late, but they have no other choice in many cases. Meetings are often scheduled at 6pm or 7pm. If you leave early you risk losing your job.
Well you say, just take the risk , but maybe they need the money and most importantly the next place of employment will likely be the same.
Shit working conditions with low pay, welcome to Taiwan.
At least in the US and Japan you have shit working conditions with high pay. Actually Japan has an average of a public holiday every month so it is significantly better.


I am not sure that the US really has high pay. Of course some jobs pay well however many people or working two or three $10 an hour jobs.

Even if someone makes twice as much in the United States as Taiwan, your expenses in the US are a lot higher. 12% federal tax compared to 5% in Taiwan. Plus state tax.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: 30 Aug 2007, 03:58
9 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)



Re: Crazy working hours..

Postby PigBloodCake » 15 Apr 2012, 22:36

steelersman wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:It's common for Taiwanese to come in a little late due to overtime the previous day. Taiwanese often work weekends too.
Not enough holidays and time off, spot on.

The workers don't want to work late, but they have no other choice in many cases. Meetings are often scheduled at 6pm or 7pm. If you leave early you risk losing your job.
Well you say, just take the risk , but maybe they need the money and most importantly the next place of employment will likely be the same.
Shit working conditions with low pay, welcome to Taiwan.
At least in the US and Japan you have shit working conditions with high pay. Actually Japan has an average of a public holiday every month so it is significantly better.


I am not sure that the US really has high pay. Of course some jobs pay well however many people or working two or three $10 an hour jobs.

Even if someone makes twice as much in the United States as Taiwan, your expenses in the US are a lot higher. 12% federal tax compared to 5% in Taiwan. Plus state tax.


Believe me, if you earn US pay in professions which offer high salary while living like a Taiwanese in US, you'll be filthy rich in years.

Here's a great gospel:

Heaven is defined as an American salary, a Chinese cook, an English house, and a Japanese wife. Hell is defined as having a Chinese salary, an English cook, a Japanese house, and an American wife. :D :discodance: :lol:
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: 07 Jun 2011, 16:51
9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)



Re: Crazy working hours..

Postby PigBloodCake » 15 Apr 2012, 22:38

nonredneck wrote:Odd. At the place I visited in Taipei, I observed these working hours.

09:30-10:00 : Show up at work
10:00-11:30 : Tea / BS with co-workers / Facebook / surf the web
11:30-13:00 : Lunch
13:00-13:30 : After lunch nap /tea
13:30-19:00/20:00 : work.

So it seems like they only actually do 5.5/6.5 hours worth of real work, even though their day is 10.5 hours.


Sh*t...you've discovered me :oops: :boo-hoo:
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: 07 Jun 2011, 16:51
9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)



Re: Crazy working hours..

Postby steelersman » 17 Apr 2012, 22:57

PigBloodCake wrote:
steelersman wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:It's common for Taiwanese to come in a little late due to overtime the previous day. Taiwanese often work weekends too.
Not enough holidays and time off, spot on.

The workers don't want to work late, but they have no other choice in many cases. Meetings are often scheduled at 6pm or 7pm. If you leave early you risk losing your job.
Well you say, just take the risk , but maybe they need the money and most importantly the next place of employment will likely be the same.
Shit working conditions with low pay, welcome to Taiwan.
At least in the US and Japan you have shit working conditions with high pay. Actually Japan has an average of a public holiday every month so it is significantly better.


I am not sure that the US really has high pay. Of course some jobs pay well however many people or working two or three $10 an hour jobs.

Even if someone makes twice as much in the United States as Taiwan, your expenses in the US are a lot higher. 12% federal tax compared to 5% in Taiwan. Plus state tax.


Believe me, if you earn US pay in professions which offer high salary while living like a Taiwanese in US, you'll be filthy rich in years.

Here's a great gospel:

Heaven is defined as an American salary, a Chinese cook, an English house, and a Japanese wife. Hell is defined as having a Chinese salary, an English cook, a Japanese house, and an American wife. :D :discodance: :lol:


How many non-Taiwanese could work as a doctor in the US and drive around a scooter? Plenty of doctors and lawyers up to their eyeballs in debt in the US.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: 30 Aug 2007, 03:58
9 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)



Re: Crazy working hours..

Postby ferb79 » 31 May 2012, 11:55

haha I guess killing time at work is common here.

When I visit my Taiwanese friends at their office, they are always "facebooking" or "youtubeing"
They take 3 hours lunch breaks: 1 hour surfing the net trying to decide what to order, 1 hour order the food or go to the nearest resturant, and 1 hour digesting the food while posting their latest meal experience on Facebook.
I guess they do like 2-3 hours of real work.
Then from 5pm - "as late as possible" pm they surf the net again.

I`m thinking it's really because the office gives them a break from their families, which can be 嘮叨 sometimes..
ferb79
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 17 Jul 2011, 20:43



Re: Crazy working hours..

Postby Exister » 08 Jul 2012, 16:36

My girlfriend's office job tried to dock her paycheck 2000nt for showing up to work 3 minutes late one time. Finally one of her co-workers helped her find the company rulebook (or whatever) that showed that rule had changed the year before, now it has to be several times in the same month or something like that, so they ended up not doing it. I was so pissed that they would even try, 3 minutes late one time, not to mention she stays late every night! At least the rule being changed recently shows that her company is slowly improving, I guess. They still try to work her to death though, she just worked a full week, Mon-Sat (including some expo where she was waking up at 5:30am and getting home around 9-10pm), had to get up at 4am last Sunday to spend the week in Jakarta working 12 hours a day, she gets back this evening (Sunday), and has to go straight back to the office tomorrow morning to work another straight 6 days. Oh, and her salary is less than what I get for showing up 2 hours a day at my ARC school. :thumbsdown: Anyways, /rant over/.
"The beat-up side of what they call pride could be the measure of these days."
Forumosan avatar
Exister
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)
 
Posts: 49
Joined: 14 Jun 2012, 14:02
Location: Yilan
4 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)



Re: Crazy working hours..

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 08 Jul 2012, 16:42

It's illegal to dock that much pay for being a little late. Many companies dock 3 days pay for not showing up to work, but the law doesn't allow for this. It doesnt mean much though because the fine is maybe 30,000nt at the very most which companies just won't feel it.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
 
Posts: 2963
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 15:15
1 Recommends(s)
86 Recognized(s)



Re: Crazy working hours..

Postby Exister » 08 Jul 2012, 17:02

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:It's illegal to dock that much pay for being a little late. Many companies dock 3 days pay for not showing up to work, but the law doesn't allow for this. It doesnt mean much though because the fine is maybe 30,000nt at the very most which companies just won't feel it.


When she told me they were going to do that, I just felt like that couldn't even be legal. I guess they are just counting on most people to not know the laws or to not even be willing to fight back. I really hate that company she works for, but I quit complaining to her about it because it just creates an even more negative atmosphere and, for the time being, pretty much any other job she can find in Taipei is going to be just about the same. Eventually we can hopefully just do something on our own here or we'll go back to the States and do something there.
"The beat-up side of what they call pride could be the measure of these days."
Forumosan avatar
Exister
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)
 
Posts: 49
Joined: 14 Jun 2012, 14:02
Location: Yilan
4 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)



Re: Crazy working hours..

Postby tommy525 » 08 Jul 2012, 22:10

They have slaves here in the USA too. People who work in retail. Having to go to work on holidays, even if thats their day off. Getting minimum wage unless they SELL LIKE HELL. I know cuz thats what I do (hate to admit it).

And then there are the investment bankers !! Met a young lady just a few years out of college. Shes getting 200k a year. But insane hours! Start work at 530am , end no earlier then 7pm . Working (voluntarily) most Sundays. Only day off is Saturday.

Id burn out !

Ex Gf worked for a bank in Taiwan. Officially she worked 9am to five pm. I say officially because that never happened in 4 years there. She did go to work on time at 9am but she regularly got home at 11pm or later.

And on weekends, what does she do? Go to the office !

And shes never tired (course shes young too).

The reason is , lets face it. Work for her is not a 4 letter word. Its not like Terry Gou's concentration camp work.

She basically hangs out with her friends. IT takes her like forever to finish one small project (ok maybe not true but seems that way to me). Work consists of chit chatting with co workers most of the day. Eating lunch together, eating dinner together and hanging out some more until 9 to 10pm.

Why else would anyone want to be there that long every day and rush to the office a few hours each saturday and a few hours each Sunday.

Actually I think thats the only time Real Work gets done. Because she spends monday to friday mostly chit chatting and falls behind on her actual work and shes does this actual work on Saturdays and Sundays so that when Monday rolls around its ready to present.

And for me too, im not really working unless a customer is actually in front of me.

So that means collectively i really only do a few hours of work a day. Most of the time chit chatting with me co workers too :)


But i cant leave that dungeon till the clock rolls around tho.

I gotta win the lotto !!
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18008
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 17:25
Location: calif baby !
577 Recommends(s)
365 Recognized(s)



Re: Crazy working hours..

Postby steelersman » 08 Jul 2012, 23:11

tommy525 wrote:They have slaves here in the USA too. People who work in retail. Having to go to work on holidays, even if thats their day off. Getting minimum wage unless they SELL LIKE HELL. I know cuz thats what I do (hate to admit it).

And then there are the investment bankers !! Met a young lady just a few years out of college. Shes getting 200k a year. But insane hours! Start work at 530am , end no earlier then 7pm . Working (voluntarily) most Sundays. Only day off is Saturday.

Id burn out !

Ex Gf worked for a bank in Taiwan. Officially she worked 9am to five pm. I say officially because that never happened in 4 years there. She did go to work on time at 9am but she regularly got home at 11pm or later.

And on weekends, what does she do? Go to the office !

And shes never tired (course shes young too).

The reason is , lets face it. Work for her is not a 4 letter word. Its not like Terry Gou's concentration camp work.

She basically hangs out with her friends. IT takes her like forever to finish one small project (ok maybe not true but seems that way to me). Work consists of chit chatting with co workers most of the day. Eating lunch together, eating dinner together and hanging out some more until 9 to 10pm.

Why else would anyone want to be there that long every day and rush to the office a few hours each saturday and a few hours each Sunday.

Actually I think thats the only time Real Work gets done. Because she spends monday to friday mostly chit chatting and falls behind on her actual work and shes does this actual work on Saturdays and Sundays so that when Monday rolls around its ready to present.

And for me too, im not really working unless a customer is actually in front of me.

So that means collectively i really only do a few hours of work a day. Most of the time chit chatting with me co workers too :)


But i cant leave that dungeon till the clock rolls around tho.

I gotta win the lotto !!


Don't a lot of US retail managers average like $5 something an hour. They get a $40,000 salary, but when you figure in how many hours they have to put in, it is below minimum wage.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: 30 Aug 2007, 03:58
9 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Proceed to Working in Taiwan



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 visitors

Come up with an automated backup system for your computer. There's no misery quite like the sick feeling of having lost chunks of your life because you didn't have a safety copy.
More tips from David Pogue