Crazy working hours..

Moderator: John

Re: Crazy working hours..

Postby Remi » 06 Jan 2012, 13:44

not really they just brought me my contract to sign...
Remi
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Feiren » 06 Jan 2012, 13:46

Okami wrote:If they aren't talking to you that may be a bad sign.

Yes, probably a bad sign. At best, they won't look out for you when you are about to get screwed. At worst they will actively help engineer your downfall. It's very important to build relationships with your fellow slaves. An important way of doing that is by staying late as part of the 'team'. You are damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby Remi » 06 Jan 2012, 13:53

I am not an English teacher :)
Remi

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby StuartCa » 06 Jan 2012, 14:30

It's not a bad sign and it's probably wise to just slope off and not say anything.

The reason that many people work crazy hours is because they live in very small apartments with their parents well into adulthood and have no desire to go home to sit with their parents all night. They get more space and privacy in an office.
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 06 Jan 2012, 14:36

The taiwanese office environment also becomes their home. Their world. They go out to eat afterwards in many cases and become a close knit group. Affairs even take place !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

613 Recommends(s)
382 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 06 Jan 2012, 14:39

tommy525 wrote:The taiwanese office environment also becomes their home. Their world. They go out to eat afterwards in many cases and become a close knit group. Affairs even take place !

Who'd have thought!! Office affairs!! Tell me it isn't true Tommy :wink:
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa

15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 06 Jan 2012, 15:20

StuartCa wrote:
tommy525 wrote:The taiwanese office environment also becomes their home. Their world. They go out to eat afterwards in many cases and become a close knit group. Affairs even take place !

Who'd have thought!! Office affairs!! Tell me it isn't true Tommy :wink:

all too true my friend , all too true. The TV soaps dont hold a candle to what goes on in real life in the orifices.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

613 Recommends(s)
382 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 06 Jan 2012, 15:25

Cheers Tomster I was wondering for a minute if my eyes were deceiving me. At least now I know one of the reasons I don't have office romances, I never work overtime
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa

15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby heimuoshu » 07 Jan 2012, 00:37

StuartCa wrote:Cheers Tomster I was wondering for a minute if my eyes were deceiving me. At least now I know one of the reasons I don't have office romances, I never work overtime

You don't know what you're not missing.
heimuoshu
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

6 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 10 Jan 2012, 15:03

finley wrote:They get around it the same way western companies do: if you're asked to work overtime, then overtime pay is due....

http://careerplanning.about.com/od/federallawsus/g/def_exempt.htm

You can leave out most of the high tech employers in the States in your **western** companies quote above as they don't pay overtime to **exempt** employees.
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Working in Taiwan