Requirements for Working at a Trading Company in Taiwan

Moderator: John

Requirements for Working at a Trading Company in Taiwan

Postby headhonchoII » 26 Mar 2012, 20:36

Everything starts with the first step.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1716 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Re: Requirements for Working at a Trading Company in Taiwan

Postby cyberguppy » 29 Mar 2012, 13:25

Rabidpie wrote:
cyberguppy wrote:Ok!

Today I managed to get an offer for the 48k minimum package with possible incentives. It's a start.
They wanted 30k but I stood my ground on the law and what I believe I can offer them.
The company certainly appreciated my research and printouts of the law and requirements to hire me.

They seem committed to want to hire me (even though experience is lacking) and train me.
It looks like I'm going to take it.

Let's hold thumbs and see what happens.

Life as I know it seems like it's going to change.. out of the teaching wold, one step at a time.

This is very inspiring and I'm very happy to see this cyberguppy. Good luck and hopefully things will work out for you in your new role. Let us know how it goes! Other people would like to follow in these type of footsteps... :bravo:

Ha! Thanks for the support.

However, all the glory came down to a crashing defeat.

After agreeing to a package of 48k + incentives in our second interview 2 days ago, the secretary called me today and asked if I can take a slave wage of 30k only. I told her what salary was negotiated with her bosses and the law of Taiwan. Later, she emailed saying that the 48k was too much. Well, I hope they can find a local with native speaker English, Masters and other Licenses in Finance + 4 years experience in their relevant business for 30k only a month.

Be warned, these companies play hardball and often keep you waiting weeks on end trying to shave down the salary even below the legal limit. During our last interview, they even called the labor dept and confirmed the minimum salary. After that, they agreed to the salary + sales incentives. Two days later they tried to lowball me to 30k. Fuckem!

Back to the drawing board :)
cyberguppy
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recognized(s)

Postby creztor » 29 Mar 2012, 13:38

cyberguppy, that's the problem. Some companies don't care about who they hire and they expect to get everything for nothing. If they can't get the right candidate, like in your case, then they just hire someone who is willing to do the job and dump all the responsibilities onto them. The poor sucker ends up having to work himself to death or he quits. The cycle repeats because there's always people willing to take 30k and work overtime for free, while bosses think they are geniuses because they are paying the absolute minimum to get someone to do the job. I have also looked into "alternatives" some time ago and was even offered a position for 18k a month. Obviously there's no way I am working for that kind of money.
Lost in Kaohsiung :D
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 29 Mar 2012, 15:20

creztor wrote:cyberguppy, that's the problem. Some companies don't care about who they hire and they expect to get everything for nothing. If they can't get the right candidate, like in your case, then they just hire someone who is willing to do the job and dump all the responsibilities onto them. The poor sucker ends up having to work himself to death or he quits. The cycle repeats because there's always people willing to take 30k and work overtime for free, while bosses think they are geniuses because they are paying the absolute minimum to get someone to do the job. I have also looked into "alternatives" some time ago and was even offered a position for 18k a month. Obviously there's no way I am working for that kind of money.

Yup. No premium is paid for ability, experience or productivity here. The same in China. Does my head in. Just had this exact conversation with someone else. Deja efing vu.
:fume:

Unfortunately they will find a local with a masters to do the job for 20K. Everyone has a masters here. I laugh when I meet Taiwanese whose parents have spent untold millions educating them at a foreign university, who are working under these conditions. Zero return on the investment. Sorry, negative return. I know a girl who went to a top uni in the UK, and she is earning 30K. Hey, at least her parents have bragging rights!!!!! :discodance: :discodance: :discodance: :discodance:
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 29 Mar 2012, 15:35

There is a premium for skills and experience in Taiwan but even then it will max out at a low level so in the end you will still be frustrated. Ultimately I used my experience working for Taiwanese to work for international companies. But it was a long...hard...slog. Would I recommend others to do the same? ONLY if you must stay in Taiwan.
I had to leave Taiwan to get a better job in Taiwan, getting hired overseas and then being able to relocate back to Taiwan if you will. Taiwan is a small island with a mature economy and low cost mindsight so they think that workers are there for exploitation and not development.

So in the end if you work for Taiwanese companies just have a plan to get experience and contacts and either

a) move to an international company
b) work in the government here (easy work, medium pay, not many holidays)
or
c) set up your own business
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1716 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 29 Mar 2012, 15:37

bigduke6 wrote:
creztor wrote:cyberguppy, that's the problem. Some companies don't care about who they hire and they expect to get everything for nothing. If they can't get the right candidate, like in your case, then they just hire someone who is willing to do the job and dump all the responsibilities onto them. The poor sucker ends up having to work himself to death or he quits. The cycle repeats because there's always people willing to take 30k and work overtime for free, while bosses think they are geniuses because they are paying the absolute minimum to get someone to do the job. I have also looked into "alternatives" some time ago and was even offered a position for 18k a month. Obviously there's no way I am working for that kind of money.

Yup. No premium is paid for ability, experience or productivity here. The same in China. Does my head in. Just had this exact conversation with someone else. Deja efing vu.
:fume:

Unfortunately they will find a local with a masters to do the job for 20K. Everyone has a masters here. I laugh when I meet Taiwanese whose parents have spent untold millions educating them at a foreign university, who are working under these conditions. Zero return on the investment. Sorry, negative return. I know a girl who went to a top uni in the UK, and she is earning 30K. Hey, at least her parents have bragging rights!!!!! :discodance: :discodance: :discodance: :discodance:

The ones with ambition leave Taiwan. The ones that come back, well they are more concerned about family and life. Even though there is not much life working for some of these companies.
The return on investment is indeed terrible but at least they get a nice vacation out of their time overseas!
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1716 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby bumclouds » 29 Mar 2012, 15:52

headhonchoII wrote:The ones with ambition leave Taiwan. The ones that come back, well they are more concerned about family and life. Even though there is not much life working for some of these companies.
The return on investment is indeed terrible but at least they get a nice vacation out of their time overseas!

Expensive vacation...
Your warning level: [4]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

98 Recommends(s)
82 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 29 Mar 2012, 15:56

My sister gets 40k working at a trading company, and she's not taking any unpaid overtime (so she can take care of her baby), but she has a LOT of experience...

keep looking, because companies who are cheapening out will pay for it later. International trading companies are a dime a dozen in Taiwan and therefore highly competitive.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby cyberguppy » 17 Jun 2012, 00:21

Hey guys!

It's two months down the line and it all worked out.
Interviews were tough and all in Chinese. Still need to pass three months probation but it seems on track.
Getting the work visa seemed a breeze due to the masters (albeit Finance).

Loving the gig and glad to be out of teaching. Also have a fellow Indian colleague.

My position is to manage the Africa account including lots of my own country's customers (South Africa).

Go out and overcome the impossible. It was a unforgettably tough journey getting in but worth the struggle.

This post was recommended by Icon (17 Jun 2012, 15:31)
Rating: 4%
cyberguppy

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recognized(s)

Postby bumclouds » 17 Jun 2012, 01:57

So did they end up giving you the minimum?
Your warning level: [4]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds

98 Recommends(s)
82 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Working in Taiwan