Unconventional Teaching Jobs

Moderator: John

Re: Unconventional Teaching Jobs

Postby tomthorne » 20 Apr 2012, 00:24

xiaozhu wrote:
As for the nuns, yeah it was a long shot, mostly that would have to be volunteer. I appreciate your advise but do you guys really have to act so superior to the newbies, just maybe we might find out something new also!

and you know what I found out all this by talking to locals, in English. If you look hard enough you'll find it!

I apologise for being cynical and superior and well done on making some contacts :bravo: . From experience I would advise you to be cautious with any positive comments you get from the locals. Culturally there is a tendency to tell people what they want to hear. This is not to suggest that you won't land your dream gig teaching female inmates or nuns, just that you probably ought to have a plan B IMO.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Re: Unconventional Teaching Jobs

Postby Petrichor » 20 Apr 2012, 05:46

xiaozhu wrote:My my what a cynical bunch we are! I am actually already in Taiwan and even though I have been here only 2 months I actually know that these jobs do exist! In fact I have already made contact with a 4 different community service agencies that offer English Language classes to disadvantage youth and women and have been given the contacts for four detention centers/correctional facilities that also offer English Language classes to their detainees. None have any positions currently but I am on their radar now. and if you look at their websites or talk to them on the phone you realise some of them are doing some amazing work.

As for the nuns, yeah it was a long shot, mostly that would have to be volunteer. I appreciate your advise but do you guys really have to act so superior to the newbies, just maybe we might find out something new also!

and you know what I found out all this by talking to locals, in English. If you look hard enough you'll find it!

Well done and well said.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

82 Recommends(s)
84 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Working in Taiwan