Working Holiday Jobs?

Moderator: John

Re: Working Holiday Jobs?

Postby monokuro » 26 Mar 2012, 15:32

stickyfingers85 wrote:Information is hard to come by as the Visa was only introduced 1st Jan 2012 for both Taiwanese visiting UK and the other way around

You do get an ARC, in fact its part of the Visa rule that you apply to get one within 15 days of arrive in Taiwan

I believe a max of 1000 Taiwanese can get the visa each year to visit UK, but I am not sure if there is a restriction on the number of British Citizens visiting the Taiwan

http://www.taiwanembassy.org/ct.asp?xIt ... 32&xp1=132

Curses - I turned 31 on the 22nd of Jan - wish they had publicised it a bit more, I'd have snapped that up!
monokuro
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

6 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby 914 » 02 Apr 2012, 13:29

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ ... 2003529322

This article in the Taipei Times today mentions how the Working Holiday Visa Program is not, well, working very well. All the quota for Taiwanese youth to work abroad are met quickly, but the number of foreign youth coming to Taiwan is minimal. No short term jobs available for foreign workers sums it up.

I had never even heard about this program, never seen it advertised in magazines, in schools in Canada, etc.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 03 Apr 2012, 22:13

914 wrote:http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2012/04/02/2003529322

This article in the Taipei Times today mentions how the Working Holiday Visa Program is not, well, working very well. All the quota for Taiwanese youth to work abroad are met quickly, but the number of foreign youth coming to Taiwan is minimal. No short term jobs available for foreign workers sums it up.

I had never even heard about this program, never seen it advertised in magazines, in schools in Canada, etc.

They did quite a bit of advertising in Australia the first year. They also have a really good website which stopped being updated after the second year.

You know what they could do? A youth hostel workers' programme. Open up a bunch of decent hostels/accommodations all around Taiwan (in weird, out of the way spots too) and only hire working holiday makers. Cap the quota at like, double the amount of people you'd need to hire to ensure all the spots were filled or something.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 04 Apr 2012, 10:13

914 wrote:http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2012/04/02/2003529322

I am guessing at 100nt an hour, who would come and work here? You can get 6 times that working abroad. It's hard work but the reward is there...

Only ones who will come here is those who have an interest in Asia.

But according to the TT article, that there are no farms or orchids to work at... I call that BS. Almost all fruits except for Apples and Oranges are grown in Taiwan and somebody has to tend to those. The problem is nobody in Taiwan even knows that people can come here on a working holiday visa so they don't do anything about it. Hell I didn't even know that people can come to Taiwan on a working holiday visa.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Working in Taiwan