Open Work Rights

Moderator: John

Re: Open Work Rights

Postby Petrichor » 06 Apr 2012, 21:50

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:
Something which I always thought might be interesting would be like an all-English after school care service. You know, instead of sending kid off to Anqinban or whatever after school they send the kid to you one or two days a week, maybe $1,000/day. You feed, look after and have fun with them in English - so maybe like Mondays and Fridays, so twice a week, $1,000/day, four kids a day. Take them home, feed them, take them to the park or arrange a game or watch a movie or something similar (something that your son would enjoy as well). Just all English. Some parents wouldn't like it because there wouldn't be time to do their homework (apart from English homework), but some parents would like it (I'm thinking parents of kids at international schools or bilingual schools would be interested). And for you it's only two days a week, and as my aunt said - she can either get a job and pay someone to look after her kid, or look after other people's kids and spend more time with her own.

This sounds very promising to me. I've had loads of people interested in their children spending time with my son because he's a native English speaker. I even had one complete stranger stop me in the street to ask for a play date with his four year old.

Nice to see you back Housecat. Hope your son's okay.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

86 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 07 Apr 2012, 20:58

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:You know, the cooking's not a bad idea. You can hook up with some of the local temple associations (Tiandijiao does a lot of classes) or the Aiguo group to publicise.

If I were you, I would probably be looking at:

- Material/Curriculum development as a mainstay (once you get it started, cut your teaching hours so you can keep up)
- Online tutoring (ESL or English)
- Spanish - English translation (don't go the other way if it's written - http://www.onehourtranslation.com pays low, but it's good for some pocket money)
- Holding one or two group cooking classes a week. You're not going to get people to pay more than $200 or $300nt/hour for a group class, so try to get at least 5 people in a class. Then you make at least $1,000 per hour. If you set it up so you have one vocab prep class and one cooking class a week, that's at least $2,000 a week right there. More if you can run more than one class.

Something which I always thought might be interesting would be like an all-English after school care service. You know, instead of sending kid off to Anqinban or whatever after school they send the kid to you one or two days a week, maybe $1,000/day. You feed, look after and have fun with them in English - so maybe like Mondays and Fridays, so twice a week, $1,000/day, four kids a day. Take them home, feed them, take them to the park or arrange a game or watch a movie or something similar (something that your son would enjoy as well). Just all English. Some parents wouldn't like it because there wouldn't be time to do their homework (apart from English homework), but some parents would like it (I'm thinking parents of kids at international schools or bilingual schools would be interested). And for you it's only two days a week, and as my aunt said - she can either get a job and pay someone to look after her kid, or look after other people's kids and spend more time with her own.

If you can just set up the 4 kid twice-weekly daycare and one cooking class a week, that's $40,000/month there (albeit unstable income). Then add in a bit of translation and editing/curriculum design and you can make around $50,000/month. (Or you could add more kids or more classes.)

It's all unstable income (as in people will be sick or need the day off or whatever, and that comes out of your pocket) so don't quit at least one stable teaching gig until you have enough savings to fall back on just in case you make a particularly low amount whatever month, but it would be more fun.

The thing is that to become a baomu -taking care of kids- you would have to be licensed by the Government. I'd like to see if we foreigners can achieve this. Would see OK, apparently, though I hope it doe snot step into the toes of that "no kindergarten" rule. It could sidestep it, though. Interesting concept, but tricky.

I've also been interested in the concept of teaching content in another language, whether Math or Science -like I was taught myself- or cooking -we also had clubs in English. I think someone was doing it with soccer in Tianmu, wasn't it? So cooking/English class makes a lot of sense.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby Rabidpie » 07 Apr 2012, 21:07

I know for a fact that a lot of Taiwanese get some nice equity compensation, (stock options or restricted stock, sometimes both).

This is something to consider as well when viewing wages.
My anti Drug is Taiwan
Rabidpie
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

1 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 07 Apr 2012, 23:28

Icon wrote:The thing is that to become a baomu -taking care of kids- you would have to be licensed by the Government. I'd like to see if we foreigners can achieve this. Would see OK, apparently, though I hope it doe snot step into the toes of that "no kindergarten" rule. It could sidestep it, though. Interesting concept, but tricky.

I've also been interested in the concept of teaching content in another language, whether Math or Science -like I was taught myself- or cooking -we also had clubs in English. I think someone was doing it with soccer in Tianmu, wasn't it? So cooking/English class makes a lot of sense.

http://skill.tcte.edu.tw/skill_query.php

The code for a baomu is 15400, and eligibility says:
1) Over 20 years of age, including legal foreign or mainlander residents.
2) Have one of the following qualifications: (HUGE LIST, but education degrees count (TESOL doesn't from what I can see). Nursing is also cool.)

Apparently there's a way of doing it without taking the test (an interview?) but I can't find any extra info on that. I suppose you'd have to go to the CLA and ask. Not sure if they'd have an English version, logic states that they wouldn't but then they seem to have an English version of EVERYTHING so you never know...

I don't think it would step on the toes of the 'no kindergarten' rule, because that explicitly states kindergartens and you'd be privately 'helping' someone look after their kids. But hmm..

And I just found out there's a licence for EVERYTHING in Taiwan. I mean, I knew that anyway, but seeing it all out there like that was a bit of a :eek: moment there.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 08 Apr 2012, 07:44

I dunno. I spend the afternoon yesterday at a kid's birthday party. No so sure about spending loads of time entertaining kids in English without the formality of the classrom. I'm kinda tired!
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

ORIGINAL POSTER
96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 08 Apr 2012, 22:20

housecat wrote:I dunno. I spend the afternoon yesterday at a kid's birthday party. No so sure about spending loads of time entertaining kids in English without the formality of the classrom. I'm kinda tired!

OK, so we have one down: one thing you do not wanna do, so you can look around for something else you'd really like to do. :D :lol:
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 08 Apr 2012, 23:32

housecat wrote:I dunno. I spend the afternoon yesterday at a kid's birthday party. No so sure about spending loads of time entertaining kids in English without the formality of the classrom. I'm kinda tired!

It's better if you're bilingual (i.e. Ok, kids...let's settle down please. I said *please*.....喂!你們這些死小鬼再不安靜就試試看!).
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

This post was recommended by ktk_ace (28 May 2012, 06:01)
Rating: 4%
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 18 Apr 2012, 08:18

PigBloodCake wrote:

It's better if you're bilingual (i.e. Ok, kids...let's settle down please. I said *please*.....喂!你們這些死小鬼再不安靜就試試看!).

Well, thanks for the suggestion. It was a birthday party after all, my niece's, and I wasn't a clown, I was a guest. I just don't think I could spend a whole lot of afternoons with crowds of kids. I mean, it's part of what I like least about buxibans. It's just not, "my bag," for something I want to make a living at, is what I'm saying.
Forumosan avatar
housecat

ORIGINAL POSTER
96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Working in Taiwan