Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Work Query - Probably NO But I want To Check

Moderator: John

Work Query - Probably NO But I want To Check

Postby Bibliophile » 08 Apr 2012, 18:31

Pretty sure the answer to this is no chance but thought I'd post and check.

I'm here as a language student and enjoying life so not planning to get myself deported. I was talking with a lady today and she mentioned she had a friend that would like English lessons and if I wanted some pocket money ... I mentioned I don't have a working visa so can't do volunteer/paid employment but thought I'd check here to see if I'm overlooking anything. Is it possible to get a 'tutor visa' or am I restricted to language exchanges? Thanks.
Bibliophile
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)

Re: Work Query - Probably NO But I want To Check

Postby Deuce Dropper » 08 Apr 2012, 18:46

Just take the job and pocket the cash.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

91 Recommends(s)
447 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 08 Apr 2012, 20:53

Bibliophile wrote:... she mentioned she had a friend that would like English lessons ...

Too bad they're no longer friends :(
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby Bibliophile » 08 Apr 2012, 22:37

Oops, guilty as charged. Maybe skulz shud teech gramma? :)

It could have been a typo. S next to D, and using an onscreen keyboard :-( More haste less speed?

PigBloodCake wrote:
Bibliophile wrote:... she mentioned she had a friend that would like English lessons ...

Too bad they're no longer friends :(

I'm aware of under the counter options hence the I'm not in a rush to risk deportation:-)
Bibliophile
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)

Postby Charlie Jack » 10 Apr 2012, 18:49

Bibliophile wrote:Oops, guilty as charged. Maybe skulz shud teech gramma? :)

... she mentioned she had a friend that would like English lessons ...

I don't have a problem with had in the quotation above.

ii Backshift * * * b. I thought it started tomorrow.

In [iib] my original thought was `It starts tomorrow': again present tense starts is shifted back to preterite started. This example shows very clearly that the backshift use is not the same as the past time use, for clearly the starting is not in the past.
--"A Short Overview of English Syntax, Based on The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language," from "Related Documents of Potential Interest," from the webpages of Rodney Huddleston and Geoffrey K. Pullum's book, A Student's Introduction to English Grammar, on the Linguistics and English Language site of the University of Edinburgh http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/grammar/overview.html

Not only must you know which tense to use, you must use tenses consistently.

For example, when you are describing something that is happening now, stick to the present tenses, and when you are describing something that happened in the past, stick to the past tenses.
--"Verb Tense Consistency," from "Writing Skills," from the Academic Skills Center, the University of Canberra http://www.canberra.edu.au/studyskills/ ... mmar#tense

A common mistake is to change tense in the middle of a sentence or paragraph.

[Example:] I was quite surprised how well I feel. (Past tense becomes present.)
--"Improve Your Writing," Faculty of Arts, University of Bristol http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/exercises ... age_31.htm

We offer three conjectural emendations : * * * ; 'I have now seen him, and though I did
not see him for long, I perceived that he was a man who . . . ' ; . . .
--H. W. and F. G. Fowler, The King's English, 2nd ed. http://www.bartleby.com/116/503.html
When things go well for days on end, it is an hilarious accident.
--Kurt Vonnegut, letter to his daughter Nannette
Charlie Jack
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

1151 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Working in Taiwan