translation agency expectations

Moderator: John

Re: translation agency expectations

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 09 Apr 2012, 17:01

Chris wrote:
Taiwan Luthiers wrote:It's difficult to get a word count, if its a scanned PDF.

Can you copy the words out as editable text, or do you have to work off of images?

I make it a policy not to accept files that aren't in some form of editable text. When I translate, I work directly in the file they give me (after making a copy of the original) and I need to be able to hover Dr. Eye over certain terms or paste them into Wenlin or other dictionaries, or Google. I'm fine with Word, OpenOffice, text, .rtf, and even PDF if the content is copyable as text, but I decline images, printouts and handwritten stuff... unless it's reallllly short.

I have gotten a bunch of scanned pdf that aren't editable text. Really hard to get a word count from it, and the trouble with PDF is that the computer seems to struggle with scrolling them, either sideways or up and down, as in the computer needs several seconds to respond to a scroll command, making them really annoying. I don't know if its because the computer sucks, or its because pdf's are inefficient.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
86 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 09 Apr 2012, 17:06

Well, then definitely, asking for something like this to be done in 24 hours is a lot to ask.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

84 Recommends(s)
180 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 09 Apr 2012, 19:13

Your computer sounds inefficient. PDFs are pretty easy to work with, but I'd charge per English word rather than source character unless they have an accurate word count for the file. You probably should have a look at why your computer's so slow!

Honestly I don't think the deadline's too bad, some of us translate full time from home and so keep rather odd hours. If I received a similar file today I would say 'Sorry, can you take it Wednesday?' but since I don't do anything Tuesday I'd be able to accept it if it came in tomorrow morning. But I would try asking for a higher rate, because I'm sure they asked for a higher rate for the rush job (unless they already assigned it to another translator who dropped it at the last minute).
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 09 Apr 2012, 21:02

Just OCR the pdf files. Even if there are wrong characters, and the word count comes out a bit high because of counting digits and suchlike, it will give you a pretty good idea of the source count.

But freelancers need to learn: YOU ARE IN BUSINESS. You ARE a business. Businesses are sovereign. They decide what they will sell, they price it based on their business model, and they market it to others. I don't know of any professional that allows the customer to decide how much he feels like paying and when he feels like receiving the product or service. For some reason, probably the disperse nature of translators, who often have little contact with others, and the fact that translation is viewed as a great thing to do when other things fail and you happen to speak another language, which means there are lots of non-serious people who will work for a pittance -- agencies are quite able to play individual translators off against one another, or simply use them, break them, and go back for another one. There's an unending supply, especially as the economy gets worse and people "decide" they are translators. Check Craig's List if you don't believe me. :noway:
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius

This post was recommended by tsukinodeynatsu (10 Apr 2012, 13:23)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
76 Recommends(s)
298 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Working in Taiwan