Freelance translation?/supplement buxiban work?

Moderator: John

Re: Freelance translation?/supplement buxiban work?

Postby dicernthetruth » 14 May 2012, 13:10

Hi guys,
I have a friend who can translate English to Turkish and English to Arabic but ZERO Chinese ability. Is it possible to get freelancer job?
dicernthetruth
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby the bear » 14 May 2012, 14:05

dicernthetruth wrote:Hi guys,
I have a friend who can translate English to Turkish and English to Arabic but ZERO Chinese ability. Is it possible to get freelancer job?

Companies doing manual localization will sometimes assign work in those language pairs. But they source their translators from overseas agencies. There's no real need to have someone working from Taiwan.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

30 Recommends(s)
117 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 17 May 2012, 00:06

dicernthetruth wrote:Hi guys,

Yes, but not a visa. He'd need a visa for something else. He'd need to be working with companies based in Europe/US/Aus over the internet.

Hard to find work in Taiwan that doesn't use Chinese, and the pay's better when you transfer things from overseas too. He'll probably lose about $1,000NTD per case in bank charges and whatnot but oh well.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby touduke » 18 May 2012, 21:28

I worked as a translator in Taiwan for more than a decade. (English-German - Italian-German) for Taiwanese companies as well as companies from China, Germany, Italy etc. No Chinese involved. It is not impossible, but it was easier 10 years ago.
Forumosan avatar
touduke
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Working in Taiwan