Finding life science related jobs in Taiwan

Moderator: John

Re: Finding life science related jobs in Taiwan

Postby Isha » 12 Apr 2012, 22:33

Just to add, Master degree takes 3 to 3.5 years here in Taipei.
Isha
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby coconut » 19 Apr 2012, 02:23

I got too wrapped up with school and forgot to check this forum :oops: but I really appreciate everyone's input!!

headhonchoII wrote:You can of course start your search overseas and get some interviews lined up but it makes more sense to personally check the places out and have interviews face to face. The companies and labs will take you more seriously if you are in Taiwan. Being Taiwanese you should have a place to stay and you speak Chinese so it should not be too difficult. I found jobs in research here after a few months with no Chinese and no experience, can't say it was the easy way to do it though! At that time they had no program for overseas students in academia sinica but they do now.
My advice is to come to Taiwan and get a bit of experience and go back to America but hey see how you like it yourself!

If you don't mind me asking, what was your education background/level at the time you got the position in Taiwan? And what kind of position? And how was the experience of doing research job in Taiwan with no Chinese? My Chinese ability is only conversational so for working in science field, I'll be heavily dependent on English :/

Isha wrote:This is just an advice but you should wait a while and let your emotional state settle first. Trying to look for jobs while you are desperate is not a good decision. You might end up in a wrong/unwanted place.
If you are looking for academic positions (not as student or RA) like lecturer, chances are better if you look outside Taipei for Taipei has long queue of applicants. If you want to be a student or RA, apply in Taipei. They also have a new Biotechnology stuff coming up. You can try there too.

I would again say, fix a position first and then come over. Going head to head is not a good way to find a job unless you are left with no other option.

Good luck.

I understand what you mean by settling my mind first... But even if I wasn't considering Taiwan, I would still be in same state. I'm graduating college, and everything I've know so far is school, study, school (so I think being frantic isn't too surprising haha..) And the last thing I want is to graduate in Dec with no plan, that's why I'm starting to search and see if I can make any plans right now. And ideally, go back when I have actual plan. Basically last thing I want right now is to rot with nothing to do after I graduate :aiyo:
I'm not looking for any high level academic position since I know my options will be limited with only a BS in science.

headhonchoII wrote:She is not going to get a high level position with a B.Sc and no experience. For positions like research assistant in a government funded lab or lab assistant these are pretty easy to find. But it would be better to get your list of candidates ready to meet first prior to arriving in Taiwan.

Typing 實驗助理 or 研究助理 into 104.com.tw gives plenty of options. At least half the positions only require a B.Sc. That's just on that site with those keywords. People don't do these jobs very long because of the low pay and poor prospects, they move on to something else or further study. I'm sure there are other sites like Academia Sinica's own website that list open positions. Or you could just call up the Pharmceutical research dept or other related depts to see what is available.

Ok, I will look into those keywords. I'm not looking for actual career, just job to offer me experience, so these jobs sound like they should fit me for the time being.

zyzzx wrote:Why don't you go for a Masters? Why do you think that work experience would make you more qualified for a PhD program? If you are worried about getting into a PhD program, a Masters will probably help much more than experience as a low level lab grunt (which is all you will be with just a BS). If you are considering a PhD, I'd try to get on with it as quickly as possible. It takes long enough as it is - why waste a few years being a low level tech and end up that much older when you finally finish and can get on with your life? And even if you aren't interested in going the PhD route, I'd imagine that you can go much farther in industry with a Masters.

In my university department (not life science, but still science), there are a lot of research assistants doing reasonably non-grunty work, but they all have a Masters.

I do want some sort of graduate degree in the future, but right now I don't feel like I'm a good candidate for the good programs because of my lack of experience.
Also, my main reason is I'm tired of school, I want to take a break.
I know it's harder to go back after a break, but I know if I do end up going back, I will be more motivated to do better (and hopefully be more qualified).

And so to all the other PhD posts (too many to quote) I'm definitely not ready for PhD program. Especially since it seems like in the US, many people enter PhD program straight from undergrad. I need a break from school :s

BernardT wrote:My GF is an Associate Director at a CRO and she said you have a chance at getting a job as a Clinical Research Assistant at a CRO given what you've described.

If you're interested, PM me.

BT

Ok! :)

PigBloodCake wrote:
Isha wrote:
PigBloodCake wrote:
But.. For now I just want to go back... I've been in the US for +13 years now, I want to go home...

After a few years here, I'll bet you'll change your mind about this. :wink:

I second that comment. Most people I have talked to, who returned for home, regret their decision.

1. Having a boatload of $$$$ to live/retire in the 'wan.....no problem.
2. Looking for your other 1/2 in the 'wan.....no problem.
3. Need a job to survive in the 'wan..... :noway: :saywhat: :loco: :fume: :bluemad:

Many people on the island does it, why not me? :cool:

PigBloodCake wrote:
coconut wrote:If regret happens, then oh well, it's not like I can't move :P I had no choice about coming to the US but I have choice about going back.

You took this quote from me, didn't ya :wink:

As for now I like the lifestyle (and weather) in Taiwan way better.

Trust me, you ain't see nuthin' yet (unless you're talkin' 'bout 台中 or even 高雄).

It came from my head :P

And... My last 3 visits back to Taiwan in the last few years were +2months stays in the summer, and I stayed in Kaohsiung. So I think that's self explanatory :D

Isha wrote:
As for now I like the lifestyle (and weather) in Taiwan way better.

In the last 12 months it has rained for 6 months continuously. Now it is hot and humid. This is Taipei weather report. You really think weather here is better? Not to add constant earth shaking and typhoons.

I'm in Seattle right now (and I used to live about 3hrs south, so pretty much same weather as Seattle). So between cold and rainy or hot and rainy, I want to be warm.
I know I'm weird.. I like the heat and humidity.

Isha wrote:Just to add, Master degree takes 3 to 3.5 years here in Taipei.

Ok, that's good to know, I am also looking at masters programs right now for the future.

Also.. For the record for those wondering if I can adjust to life in Taiwan, that's really not my main concern right now. I'm not looking for actual career to commit to living the rest of my life there. I'm looking for a job that can give me reasonable experience and at the same time let me experience Taiwan living for a while, then I'll decide from there.

The weather, heat, humidity, typhoons, earthquakes... drought? (I remember the water service sometimes stopped in the summer when I was little)... mosquitoes! (annoying and disease carrying haha).... Heavy pollution in the city (my Taipei friends have complained about this)... dirty cities... petty crime rates?............. I know there a many downsides to living in Taiwan, but right now, those aren't enough to weigh out my personal downsides towards living in the US.

And.. I miss the food. I love Taiwanese food, I miss my Taiwanese food :lick:
coconut
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby headhonchoII » 19 Apr 2012, 12:42

Come on over, we got plenty of Taiwanese snacks to go around! Taiwan has changed a lot since you were a kid, it's easy to live here now.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1301 Recommends(s)
503 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 19 Apr 2012, 13:21

coconut wrote:Many people on the island does it, why not me? :cool:

Most here are lowly paid (30k NT/mo is about avg Taiwanese salary....that's about $1k USD/mo if you convert it). 30k NT/mo won't get you very far if you're used to the lifestyle in Seattle. Starbucks is a luxury here (even some of my coworkers would rather buy a Seven coffee instead of Starbucks).

I can see where you're coming from because, like you, I was in the same situation (left Taiwan during grade school).

However, to live more than just in survival mode, you really need to make at least 50k NT/mo. Otherwise, you'll be eating 便當 until you vomit :sick:

And, after a few years here, you'll actually crave for some Western-style food (I've been eating Subway at least once a week primarily for the raw veggies). Actually, some of the burger joints here in central Taipei (Da'an) have better burgers than ones in the States (but then I still crave for some In-N-Out burgers once in awhile).

Many on the island live the way they're living now because they don't know what it's like living outside the island. As for us, we can (and trust me, you will...eventually) compare between Taiwan and the place we left behind (Seattle for you and Cali for me). Once you start comparing, you'll start to see all the negatives that have been expressed ad nauseam on this board.

If you still feel ready to move back, well, I'd gotta say welcome back and good luck wherever luck will take you.
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 19 Apr 2012, 13:36

The OP could be loaded and not even think of the salary. I have actually known a few overseas Taiwanese who don't care about the salary because they don't need it! Weird..but they still want a job and experience I guess.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1301 Recommends(s)
503 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Working in Taiwan