Finding life science related jobs in Taiwan

Moderator: John

Re: Finding life science related jobs in Taiwan

Postby Isha » 12 Apr 2012, 11:25

coconut wrote:Salary isn't top priority right now, as long as I can get work experience (pretty desperate..). Why preferably outside Taipei?

This is just an advice but you should wait a while and let your emotional state settle first. Trying to look for jobs while you are desperate is not a good decision. You might end up in a wrong/unwanted place.
If you are looking for academic positions (not as student or RA) like lecturer, chances are better if you look outside Taipei for Taipei has long queue of applicants. If you want to be a student or RA, apply in Taipei. They also have a new Biotechnology stuff coming up. You can try there too.

I would again say, fix a position first and then come over. Going head to head is not a good way to find a job unless you are left with no other option.

Good luck.
Isha
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 12 Apr 2012, 11:31

She is not going to get a high level position with a B.Sc and no experience. For positions like research assistant in a government funded lab or lab assistant these are pretty easy to find. But it would be better to get your list of candidates ready to meet first prior to arriving in Taiwan.

Typing 實驗助理 or 研究助理 into 104.com.tw gives plenty of options. At least half the positions only require a B.Sc. That's just on that site with those keywords. People don't do these jobs very long because of the low pay and poor prospects, they move on to something else or further study. I'm sure there are other sites like Academia Sinica's own website that list open positions. Or you could just call up the Pharmceutical research dept or other related depts to see what is available.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby zyzzx » 12 Apr 2012, 17:57

Why don't you go for a Masters? Why do you think that work experience would make you more qualified for a PhD program? If you are worried about getting into a PhD program, a Masters will probably help much more than experience as a low level lab grunt (which is all you will be with just a BS). If you are considering a PhD, I'd try to get on with it as quickly as possible. It takes long enough as it is - why waste a few years being a low level tech and end up that much older when you finally finish and can get on with your life? And even if you aren't interested in going the PhD route, I'd imagine that you can go much farther in industry with a Masters.

In my university department (not life science, but still science), there are a lot of research assistants doing reasonably non-grunty work, but they all have a Masters.
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Isha » 12 Apr 2012, 18:25

btw PhD here takes anywhere from 3 years to 7 years. In most of the cases from 6 to 7.
Isha

22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Finding life science related jobs in Taiwan

Postby headhonchoII » 12 Apr 2012, 20:43

Yes it is not a good idea if you have an option to do a PhD in the UK (fast and good) or US (best reputation but also long).
In Taiwan professors try to keep PhDs for as long as possible to do their work for them, it's a pretty demeaning system.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby zyzzx » 12 Apr 2012, 21:12

headhonchoII wrote:Yes it is not a good idea if you have an option to do a PhD in the UK (fast and good) or US (best reputation but also long).
In Taiwan professors try to keep PhDs for as long as possible to do their work for them, it's a pretty demeaning system.

Agreed. I definitely do not recommend doing a PhD in Taiwan. The students do seem to do an awful lot of work that's not related to their research, and PhDs from the US and UK have much better reputations. PhDs in the US are long, but if you go straight from a BSc, then the total length is pretty comparable (I believe you need a Masters to do a UK PhD, but I might be wrong).

But if the OP really wants to give Taiwan a try, she could come here for a Masters, then either get a job here based on that or go back west for a PhD.
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx

10 Recognized(s)

Postby BernardT » 12 Apr 2012, 21:35

My GF is an Associate Director at a CRO and she said you have a chance at getting a job as a Clinical Research Assistant at a CRO given what you've described.

If you're interested, PM me.

BT
-----------------------------------------------------------

Live fast, die young, and leave a cute corpse...
BernardT
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby PigBloodCake » 12 Apr 2012, 21:45

Isha wrote:
PigBloodCake wrote:
But.. For now I just want to go back... I've been in the US for +13 years now, I want to go home...

After a few years here, I'll bet you'll change your mind about this. :wink:

I second that comment. Most people I have talked to, who returned for home, regret their decision.

1. Having a boatload of $$$$ to live/retire in the 'wan.....no problem.
2. Looking for your other 1/2 in the 'wan.....no problem.
3. Need a job to survive in the 'wan..... :noway: :saywhat: :loco: :fume: :bluemad:
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 12 Apr 2012, 21:50

coconut wrote:If regret happens, then oh well, it's not like I can't move :P I had no choice about coming to the US but I have choice about going back.

You took this quote from me, didn't ya :wink:

As for now I like the lifestyle (and weather) in Taiwan way better.

Trust me, you ain't see nuthin' yet (unless you're talkin' 'bout 台中 or even 高雄).
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby Isha » 12 Apr 2012, 22:32

As for now I like the lifestyle (and weather) in Taiwan way better.

In the last 12 months it has rained for 6 months continuously. Now it is hot and humid. This is Taipei weather report. You really think weather here is better? Not to add constant earth shaking and typhoons.
Isha

22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Working in Taiwan