Looking for Nursing Lecturer position in Taipei

Moderator: John

Looking for Nursing Lecturer position in Taipei

Postby lookingtomove » 13 Apr 2012, 19:28

Hi,

I currently live in Sydney, Australia, but want to move to Taipei this year as my partner is moving back there.
I think that teaching nursing, or English medical terminology etc would be my best chance of obtaining employment.
I have two Master degrees, however, my Chinese is at beginner level.

Any hints or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lookingtomove.
lookingtomove
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Looking for Nursing Lecturer position in Taipei

Postby ironlady » 13 Apr 2012, 20:32

In Taipei, competing with Ph.Ds? Not too likely these days without an "in" or connection, IMO, and particularly unlikely if you don't speak Chinese well enough to lecture in Chinese. Medical schools may use English language textbooks sometimes, but the day-to-day stuff is still done in Mandarin AFAIK.

You might have a better chance teaching English at one of the "second-tier" schools in Taipei, or more likely outside of Taipei. But don't expect to be teaching English medical terminology. That would be 1 elective course, if it were even offered (it was not, at the medical school I taught at). The students were at a level where 95% of them needed remedial English.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)

Postby lookingtomove » 13 Apr 2012, 20:52

Thanks for the response. Disappointing as it is.
What does IMO and AFIAK stand for?
Another question, sorry... What sort of school would be considered a second tier school?

I may have to reconsider my options.
lookingtomove

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby ironlady » 13 Apr 2012, 21:05

IMO -- in my opinion
AFAIK -- as far as I know

"Second tier" schools are those that are not as highly sought after by students (and teachers wanting positions). Offhand, they tend to be newer schools or those that are not as highly ranked in the Taiwanese mind. I'm not sure of the precise situation right now -- I've been gone for awhile and others will be able to give you more specific advice -- but the market is definitely oversaturated and I'd be surprised if a non-Taiwanese with no Chinese was able to compete for position teaching nursing. And most full-time English positions in Taipei will be looking for PhDs if possible (pressure from the Ministry of Education to "upgrade" their programs). There are definitely lectureships available but it depends on where they are, luck to some degree, and they may not be full time, which will cause visa issues if you need a work visa to get an ARC (Alien Resident Certificate) allowing you to stay in Taiwan.

I'm sure more people will answer with good advice, just give it a few hours! People on the boards are very helpful. And it doesn't mean you shouldn't apply to nursing positions -- just don't be surprised if they aren't as enthusiastic as one might think they would be.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 13 Apr 2012, 21:50

lookingtomove, if you don't have a Master's in English as a Second Language or Linguistics you probably won't get a job at a university anyways. Enjoy teaching children if you move to Taiwan. Your only other chance might be to try to land a job in medical sales. Even though I don't know that many of those jobs exist in Taiwan.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 14 Apr 2012, 01:19

You may be able to set up your own little side business of classes aimed at nurses wanting to move to Australia to work, though I think there are more of those in China than Taiwan. I know we had a special Nursing ESL course back in Brisbane.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 14 Apr 2012, 01:20

lookingtomove wrote:Hi,

I currently live in Sydney, Australia, but want to move to Taipei this year as my partner is moving back there.
I think that teaching nursing, or English medical terminology etc would be my best chance of obtaining employment.
I have two Master degrees, however, my Chinese is at beginner level.

Any hints or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lookingtomove.

I know several people who only have one master's degree, unrelated to medicine, and work at medical universities, so you should be OK.

Welcome to Taiwan.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

83 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)

Postby creztor » 14 Apr 2012, 08:30

Charlie, but what are they teaching and is it full-time?
Lost in Kaohsiung :D
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Working in Taiwan